What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Hummus with ground beef, onions, tomato, and boiled egg, and a salad.

19 Likes

Chicken with scallion stir fry. Normally, I do the beef with scallion from The Woks of Life, but I wanted to see how this would work with chicken. I followed the recipe exactly except for the protein (I also added some chili crisp). Is the beef better? Yes, but this was delicious.

Gin and tonics, there were.

20 Likes

I might have missed it - what recipe are you using?

I’m impressed!

1 Like

Last night’s dinner was bread wrapped potato fingers (prepared in the air fryer), saffron rice and mixed vegetables. Both my girlfriend and I like dipping the potato fingers in “Mr. Yoshida” sauce.

15 Likes

Do elaborate! I’m all for carbs on carbs.

Heyo @retrospek so you have someone BETTER than dropping off food to your door!

Good luck with your health, and hang in there with your spirits. A new doc recently told my dad that his choices in a covid/post-covid semi-isolated world to keep his mood up were (a) an antidepressant (b) interaction with people, but covid slashed that back (c) getting really into television dramas/soaps, because they could create a similar brain effect to company, where you get involved in other people’s “lives” and form a connection. He left out (d) the Internet, because that’s not a way my dad engages with the world, but I know a lot of people for whom that would have been a valid 4th choice.

(I found the tv drama point pretty funny, but he said the difference in mood & spirits between his older patients who get involved in their tv show “families” vs who don’t watch tv is pretty significant.)

9 Likes

I started out with this recipe, but I didn’t like the bread wrap she used. So I made up a yeast based bread wrap, which I let rise/rest, etc. I changed the spicing, and added grilled onions to the potato mix. I spritzed them with avocado oil and into the air fryer (325-350) and flipped when they became golden brown, then another 3-4 minutes.

11 Likes

I found this point really interesting, because I would not have predicted that, thinking of the crazy soap / ‘serials’ situations. Did the doc happen to share a study that shows this effect?
My mother who is pretty elderly watches her serials every day and it would be great for me to reframe this as something positive. Given her current capabilities she doesn’t have many other options so it’s not like I discourage her or anything. It would be interesting to know, is all.

A common indian recipe hack from the 80s was to roll out slices of commercial bread and use them like this (usually deep fried, but when home ovens became more common, also baked).

(Also - I’m intrigued by recipe titles tagged “ASMR” - is that a comment on the quality of the recipe vs the motions and music?)

1 Like

@Rasam you made me laugh. Know a lot of doctors in india sharing studies? :rofl:

I am going to guess his “study” was the 60-70% of his practice which is senior citizens whom he’s been caring for through extended pandemic-related isolation for more than just their physical ailments — he’s a family physician.

Re your mom - having spent an extended period with my dad, I can safely say it was a plus to his mental health to have his shows to look forward to, both for the routine and for the mental and emotional involvement. He’s a really social person irl.

1 Like

I don’t know what “ASMR” means. I do know that this youtube presenter does not speak English, so I read the sub-titles (I think she may be German??)
I kind of let youtube’s algorithm make suggestions and see if the recipe looks good.
I’ve become quite bored with “over the air” TV shows and stream videos to my TV. I have learned some new recipes, etc.

I can 100% believe this. I’ve been watching Grey’s Anatomy the whole time, and when they killed McDreamy, I was in a funk for weeks. It felt like someone in my life was gone.

3 Likes
1 Like

ASMR - Autonomous Sensory Meridian Response

It has become fashionable to tag a lot of You Tube content as ASMR if the content creator is trying to cater to those who are into how things sound (a lot of teppanyaki cooking videos out there with this tag) when action is in progress. Not everyone who watches these videos actually experiences ASMR, but the short-hand has stuck.

3 Likes

I used this one this time, but added a bit of seasoned ground beef, and subbed some of the eggs with egg whites I had in the freezer.

There are a lot of inspiring videos out there, but I don’t always have time for that, so i put this one in pepperplate.

5 Likes

In case you’d like some crib notes

1 Like

Thank you for educating me about “ASMR”…
I don’t really think I was affected that way (by the video) based on the definition.
I did find it interesting enough to try the recipe, though.
There is also a woman from Turkey that I watch (on youtube) “enfes yemekler tarifleri” Again, I have to read the sub-titles, but have had good luck with some of her recipes, as well.

1 Like

Thanks! Saving.

Last night - unwrapped the shrimp I ordered and it was a) not what I ordered and b) not very fresh smelling. I pivoted and made pan-seared salmon with a tarragon-mustard rub. Sides were wild rice with peas and Meyer lemon olive oil and sauteed green beans with honey mustard. A little leftover remoulade on top of the fish.

19 Likes