What's for Dinner #84 - the National Food-A-Day Month Edition - August 2022

Two days ago we foraged mushrooms and made a big ol’ pile of pappardelle with mascarpone, bacon, red onion, and grilled chicken. Shroomies sauteed in butter and herbs and piled on top. Steamed broccoli with Meyer lemon oil. I’m officially on the portion control wagon after this blowout (and checking the scale). DH is fired from plating :joy:

PXL_20220802_210722978~2

17 Likes

Last night I made lemongrass chicken meatballs in turmeric coconut broth w/rice noodles and tomato salad dressed in nuoc cham. Everyone enjoyed! :raised_hands:t2:

21 Likes

Okra cou-cou with creole sauce and “tofish” from Caribbean Vegan by Taymer Mason.

23 Likes

Vietnamese Chicken Salad — classic with purple and green cabbage, mint, cilantro, 5-spice chicken, peanuts, nuoc cham, etc. I added some sriracha cause why not and my gf added a sea snail shell (not to eat) from the east coast since we don’t get them out here.

24 Likes

Sounds delicious! Recipe please?

2 Likes

WFD last night was another fun HO group dinner in Brooklyn - this time it was Goan food.

So delicious, and so much food, that I haven’t eaten yet today! (But I will… I have faith!)

Report and pics here:

14 Likes

Messy quesadillas and a beer. The perfect way to end a great day.

22 Likes

Messy food is good food. Unless you’re wearing white.

4 Likes

I had several chicken tenders in the freezer which needed using. These were marinated a few hours - yogurt, lemon juice, olive oil, oregano, garlic - and quickly pan fried. Served with homemade pita, humus and tzatziki – all leftover from earlier this week. Freshly picked Greek salad from the garden. The obligatory olives and feta.

23 Likes

It’s August and I just picked my first two ripe cherry tomatoes. Hallelujah!

Dinner was chicken Cordon Bleu, buttery peas, salad of mixed green, snap peas, greeen onion, radish and the pièce de résistance, two Sun Sugar cherry tomatoes. Creamy Greek dressing. Sangria. Snap peas are from the garden too.

25 Likes

BF made a Chef John recipe tonight - bread salad with FM tomatoes and Acme focaccia. Fresh mozz on the side, and milanesa, with a lemony caper sauce. COTC for me, too. Cal-Ital-ish.

Dessert was some of the leftover croutons for me. :pig:

24 Likes

Oops ! Also posted on WFD July, and the Help me make chiles rellenos thread.
Chiles rellenos casserole

Very low carb, very high fat.

27 Likes

Go you, and go Gregory!

1 Like

BF’s Carne Guisada. A masterpiece. I was relegated to sous chef duties.

Vesper to drink.

26 Likes

Homegrown zucchini pizza with bacon, basil, tomato, and onions

22 Likes

Looks fabulous

2 Likes

Simple briefly braised sauerkraut with chorizo, red, yellow and orange peppers and finished with some sour creme

11 Likes

Playing catch-up.

Monday after being away for the weekend with seemingly no food in the house, my fall-back dish in these types of situations: pasta (rye trumpets from Sfoglini) / TJ’s Italian soy sausage / broccoli rabe / canned chickpeas / liberal amounts of both garlic and lemon / crushed red pepper / showering of parmesan.

Wednesday was cod marinated in OO / crushed garlic cloves / lemon / dried oregano and then oven-roasted low and slow. Sides were salads of tomato / green beans / corn / red onion / basil; Korean-ish cukes marinated in soy sauce / sesame oil / mirin / kochugaru (dried red pepper spice). Big pot of rice with beans and Icelandic barley.

20 Likes

Pasta with yellow squash, sweet onions, arugula, and basil, tossed in a truffle cashew cream sauce. Topped with tempeh bacon, sungold and grape tomatoes, and more basil.

22 Likes

One of our buddies hosted a lovely cookout to welcome us back home. I forgot to take any pics cuz we were having too much fun/wine, but there was a lovely cole slaw, a watermelon / feta / arugula salad, snossidgis, Greek-style marinated BLSL chickie thighs by yours truly, a side of salmon, and my fruit salad for dessert, which I managed to snap before we left our house: honey mangoes, peaches, anjou pear, cosmic crisp apple, walnuts, bananas, blueberries.

21 Likes