What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

thank you so much, I guess I am hungry for a bit of validation right now. I can explain my super secret tech. I have read that often memory starts around age seven. Nope. I can remember my mother before I had a name for her. I can remember my mom taking my highchair outside and feeding me cut up strawberries on the highchair tray in the warm sun. Remembering all my childhood from an early age makes my interactions with children easy peasy. #thanksagain

3 Likes

Are we allowed to post songs here? I have some The Botanist gin here but I find the cork annoying. I will deal somehow>

I want that!

Sounds awesome. Gonna try my cheapie electric grinder from lidl to get my feet wet. Wait why do my feet have to get wet? I have heard that cutting the meat into chunks and then half freezing them helps. Also running bread slices afterward to clean. #cluelessnearphilly

Doh. That meat grinder was only like 25 smackers but this is what I love about most food forums. Members give it to you straight. I have seen the hand crank versions too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntbYrGoHfoY

1 Like

Awesome. At howard johnson’s way back in the day my order was chopped steak rare. And an ice cream soda. I am a purist I think. I finally plunked down 24.00 at the reading terminal market for a lobster roll. I ate it but basically as fuel. Lobster meat Maybe dunked in melted butter but maybe not tastes so much better to me.

2 Likes

Mashed potatoes are the best thing on earth. Well, except my dog Harley.

1 Like

Hope you have a lovely Easter Linda!

The salmon looked awful at the store yesterday, so I’m going to try to recreate my favourite Croatian restaurant’s pasta with octopus, shrimp and lemon , with frozen octopus and shrimp I have in the freezer.

The dish is called spaghettini alla Leonardo at Joso’s in Toronto.

6 Likes

No pics, but dinner last night was a chicken parm sandwich and tater tots for him and fried belly clams and tots for me from a local place, The Chateau. Very good for my first bellies of the season!

8 Likes

Thanks Maria! It’s a relief to have it behind us now, but yes, gratifying, with a good outcome, and overdue visits with close and (far family? far out family?) :upside_down_face: Can’t wait to catch up on WFD the past 2 months!

3 Likes

(post deleted by author)

Curry Cod over rice, fresh orange slices. I’ll post the recipe below since this is a favorite (made every few months) maindish. I love this because it uses still-frozen cod (or other white fish) fillets. I can think “gee, I really feel like having fish tonight” and 40 minutes later we are. The timing for fish baking coordinates well with the time needed to make rice. Today, the starting point was – there’s that rice in the fridge - what can I made that will use it, and that we’ve not had recently (i.e., not stir-fry…)

10 Likes

Curry Cod Fish Fillets - recipe was in a community cookbook from a town near where I grew up\

coconut rice (w/ onion, oregano, garlic) is good with this.

8 oz can tomato sauce
2 T. water (optional, I omit)
1 tsp. curry powder
½ tsp salt (optional, I omit)
¼ cup chopped onion (or 1 T. dried minced onion flakes)

2 T melted butter
2 T bread crumbs or crushed saltine crackers (Club crackers, RItz crackers)

1 pound frozen fish fillets (haddock, cod, or other white fish)

Place frozen fish fillets in greased shallow 7” x 11” baking dish. Do not thaw.
Pour tomato sauce mixture over fish. On top sprinkle the butter/crumbs mix.
Bake 400 degrees F. for 35- 40 minutes. Check at 35 min, remove promptly when fish is done.

Can also make with fresh fish, reduce baking time.

9 Likes

How did it turn out?

T’was a week.
Glad it’s done.
Usual Friday night meal:

Steak tips (a perfect medium rare) with Ballymaloe steak sauce, green beans, and my first time trying Hasselback potatoes (using Yukon Gold vs. Russets). My convection toaster oven is perfect for these. I like 'em.

Oh. There was wine. :wine_glass: Sláinte!

23 Likes

Here is my Cavatappi alla Leonardo, with lemon, capers, and white wine. Joso’s restaurant version has more olive oil, and a more concentrated flavour. I haven’t ordered it since 2018 or 2019. Hope to revisit this summer to check the flavours then work at recreating it at home.

Joso’s chops up the shrimp into a dice, I didn’t bother.

The Spaghettini alla Leonardo at Joso’s that inspired me

Maroulosalata, which is chopped lettuce, cucumbers, green onion, dill, olive oil, lemon, white balsamic vinegar and Schubeck’s German salad herb blend .

19 Likes

Tonight actually lived up to its billing, it was a Good Friday. Happy Passover & Easter. In honor of have both kids and one significant other home for dinner, I let everyone make a (not meat) request. The mish-mosh menu was:

Mussels marinara (had to use canned crushed vs. fresh baby tomatoes (I forgot them) Actually came out quite well.

Pierogies: plain potato with sautéed onions one potato sautéed onions and jalapeños! (My pick)

Port wine infused macaroni and cheese.

(Garlic bread was bumped due to chefs tine restraints)

Cigar and some tv on the deck with the family, life is good. God bless us all! Peace peeps!!

(oh Good Friday till my temporary crown fell off my 3 week old root canal on a piece of biscotti!! Ughhhh)

Jalapeño fried onions were delicious

Newest addition to the family, meet Rooney!

Good Friday Indeed (covid deck addition put to good use)

26 Likes

Wagyu beef and garden asparagus on the grill. Salt-and-pepper potatoes.

An oft-repeated dinner this time of the year (asparagus season).

21 Likes

BF AGAIN - making his now apparently favorite meal - Salisbury steak (i’ve made it the past few times), with leftover mashed, and delicious sprouts in a dijon/thyme sauce, with TJ fried onions as garnish. It’s a ground beef kinda week, i guess.

25 Likes