What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

Was staring at wagyu hamburger at Costco today. Is it really extra good I guess? Cdc likes an 80/20 ground and my favorite is ground bison.

1 Like

@ wholetthedogsout

We like the wagyu in a burger, but use ground chuck for any other application of ground beef.

Other than the wagyu, we generally don’t purchase ground meat, preferring to grind our own.

2 Likes

I like Costco’s wagyu but I find it a little greasy/pasty in texture on its own. I mix it half and half with their organic ground beef for burgers, meatballs, etc. It’s also a nice complement to lean ground lamb. Like @MunchkinRedux, I only use it in “solid” preparations - if I am making something with crumbled ground beef I prefer to grind my own or just use the Costco organic by itself.

2 Likes

Welcome back! Your meals look great.

So glad that all went well for your Dad and with your family. Bet they were glad to have you near.

5 Likes

Thanks Denise, for your gracious words! Very nice to be home now, and with spring announcing itself, especially.

4 Likes

Ooo thanks. I bought a cheap electric grinder from lidl but have yet to deploy it. It keeps staring at me. I nab ground chuck from wegmans once in awhile and it is tasty, Someone on my other group, alan likes ground brisket and another dude, steve has found his perfect mix. He grinds his own and impresses the hell out of me with how he cooks for one with aplomb. How do you cook your burgers? I prefer medium rare more towards rare. Cdc accidentally cooked my burger, twenty percent fat, so the center was very rare, just barely warm. I loved it but I realize I was gambling with food poisoning. Would I be able to cook the wagyu burgers medium rare or are they just too fatty for that? thanks

2 Likes

Glad dad is ok now and that you got to help him out and spend time with family! Always rewarding.

2 Likes

Thanks for the fast reply. I like my burgers medium rare and the ground bison is very much to my liking but pricey. Plus cdc prefers the 20 percent fat hamburger and he likes his burger just pink in the middle. My household was strange growing up. The butter in the fridge often tasted old but check this out, there was always fresh ground round in a tube from the wholesale meat company that my mom bought meats from for her bar. The ground round was for our cat gretel but the cat shared as long as I left her some for her meals. So when there was plenty of ground round as a hungry teenager I could fry myself up a burger or two. Mostly rare. The bread in the cupboard was often very old or often non existent so I learned to just eat the hamburger patties. As with childhood connections I still enjoy them that way. Do you cook your burgers medium or rare or other?

2 Likes

Last night: drinks and snacks at a historic speakeasy after a lecture I gave (in-person, first one in forever) at a library down the street. A friend joined us.

IMG_20220413_222802_855

21 Likes

@ wholetthedogsout

Since we switched to the wagyu beef, DH does most of the burger cooking, and aims for medium rare.

Hate to be the bearer of bad news about the electric grinder, but it may not be your best option for grinding meat.

To avoid a mealy product, everything needs to stay really cold - grinder, meat, etc. The electric grinders tend to overheat everything, including the meat, and if you partially freeze the meat to compensate, it’s a good way to burn out the motor.

Speaking from experience here, having destroyed one relatively expensive KitchenAid by doing exactly that.

We’ve since switched to a hand-crank version, and are really happy with it. We don’t have to freeze the meat, and there are no issues with mealiness.

2 Likes

I prefer burgers rare to medium rare and I have had no issues with the Costco products (nor my own ground beef) cooking them that way. As for eating them patties only, we are a low-carb household so that is standard operating procedure around here - but even as a kid, long before I went low-carb, I preferred bunless burgers. Great minds! :wink:

1 Like

I fully realize that this is not for everyone–because of the price–but I use a double-cut grinder that uses the Unger system. It grind s the meat for 4 hamburgers in one minute. Nothing overheats.

2 Likes

Good for you for standing up for Johnnie. Sometimes it takes a person who is familiar with the situation yet removed to make a difference.

2 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was risotto with mushrooms and sundried tomatoes.

20 Likes

Pasta alla gricia with bacon, kale and Pecorino Romano. Sun-dried tomatoes and kalamata olives on the side.

Kale from the garden.

23 Likes

Came home from a rainy, hour+ walk from work to this homey comfort food dinner by the BF. TPSTOB AND mushroom gravy on those taters. this is how i know he loves me.

Someday I’ll cook again. maybe…

27 Likes

Sort of “Easy pan roasted chicken breast” from Serious Eats"

20 Likes

That looks delicious! I regret not ordering pasta alla gricia in Rome in 2017!

1 Like

Long day, late getting home. Pizza was wfd. Rao’s pizza sauce, Italian sausage, onion, garlic, mozzarella, anchovies, baby bells, mushrooms, Parmesan and dried oregano. Salad, romaine, tomato, cucumber, red onion, maple, balsamic dressing.

“I love you more today than yesterday, but not as much as tomorrow” - Spiral Staircase

21 Likes

Spinach-lentil salad with pine nuts, dried tomatoes and an olive oil, aceto balsamico, maple syrup, dijon mustard dressing. Served with some seared baked teriyaki tofu and oven roasted rosemary-bread chips (from our spelt-whole wheat bread)

17 Likes