What's For Dinner #80 - the Silly Bunny with Eggs Edition - April 2022

Got to use the grill again! Snake River Farms hanger steak (two more in the fridge that may very well be hangover brunch tomorrow) and onion rings (frozen). Lord Hobo Boom Sauce for BF and Terrazas de Los Andes (2019) Malbec for me!

19 Likes

OK, can I just say that I love that you’ve pre-planned for a hangover brunch? Well done, you!

3 Likes

Thank you! It was a joint decision between me and BF. This may very well be a multiple movie and beverages night and we’ve definitely been down this road before!

3 Likes

When previous experience smacks you upside the head and says “Hey you…listen to me NOW!” it’s best to take notice. :rofl:

2 Likes

Quick and easy dinner:

BISO chicken thighs tossed with buttermilk, and then into some Dixie Fry mix. Baked at 400° for about 45 minutes, basting once with the fat in the pan.

A salad with what I had in the fridge: red leaf lettuce, half a chopped tomato, sliced radishes, shaved carrot, and cubed Monterey Jack cheese, tossed with Penzeys Buttermilk Dressing and Dip Mix augmented with extra cracked black pepper.

Oh, yes. A nice chardonnay from J Vineyards. Happy Friday, all.

21 Likes

We enjoyed our first al fresco dining experience, on the deck, this year, on a beautiful Friday evening. Mrs. P made her famous Andouille sausage pizza and homemade guacamole and chips. It all went great with an excellent Malbec red blend.

25 Likes

What flour did she use for the dough - looks relatively dark like some WW ?

She didn’t make the dough. She used store bought Stonefire thin crust. It’s our favorite. It stays crispy.

4 Likes

A joint-effort tonight. Anthony Bourdain’s Macau pork sandwich on a homemade Portuguese roll. Cabbage slaw with a carrot-ginger dressing on the side.

The sandwich was good, but not great. At least, not this go-around. The overall texture was very nice – lots of crunch on a soft bun. The chops came out tender and juicy (despite the dark coating). After a 6 hour soak, however, the marinade just didn’t come through much. While sufficiently seasoned, if we were to make it again, we’d go the full 12 hours on the marinade (and watch the oil temp a little more closely - ooof!)

17 Likes

Lovely day today so I fired up the grill. Pork tenderloin kabobs, rice and salad. Lots of veg to counteract the carby rice. Kabobs had onions and baby bells, rice had shallot, carrots, peas and asparagus, salad of romaine, mixed greens, cherry tomatoes, radish, red onion, snap peas with ranch dressing.

Blood orange polamas and Scotch Broom from the yard.

19 Likes

Came home to this dinner - BF has been working on some kind of beanie-weenie clear-out-the-fridge stoup he’s been adding to all week. Since he decided to add shrimp (called it Dumbo - dumb gumbo), and was at the fish monger’s, he got me a little starter of oysters. Nice! Stoup was actually quite tasty. With Frank’s Redhot.

22 Likes

i remember making that same Macau pork before and not being particularly thrilled either.

3 Likes

You cheat at life! Was gasping in admiration of the dinner, especially that guacamole. Then I saw the lovely flowers. Wow. And then and then adorable pets. #faints

2 Likes

Coq au vin again, last of a batch in the freezer. On top of mashed potatoes and with an arugula salad.

And a Last Word. Cheers! :cocktail:

22 Likes

Looks great as always. Love the look of that thin crust. Nice to see the deck back in action too!

1 Like

Thanks @Metsfan86 ! You should try that Stonefire pizza crust. It’s nice and thin and stays crispy unlike some other thin crusts that get soggy. We missed dining out on the deck. It will probably be another couple of months until Mrs. P works her magic and arranges the plants and trees, and everything starts blooming.
We had a wild week. They are replacing all of the roofs in our townhome community and did ours this week. Roofing and nails were flying off and landing on our deck and trees up front (not to mention the constant banging). They also had to replace some siding, and we are still waiting for them to replace the gutters they ripped out.

2 Likes

Thank you :blush: That is very kind of you.

Yeah that sounds very unrelaxing

Where do they sell that crust? We’ve been making our own pizzas with Trader Joe’s crust which we roll out and comes out pretty nicely

1 Like

Mrs P as impressive as ever,! Please extend my regards! We might have to arrange the first ever Canine Ho-down/play date. My daughter got a Frenchie, say hello to Rooney!

16 Likes

Hi Rooney!

1 Like