What's for Dinner #76 - the HO "Ho, Ho, Ho" Edition - December 2021

So glad you enjoyed it!

1 Like

Pie for dinner? Sort of.

I made a gallete of Hubbard squash, caramelized onion, and aged Gouda cheese. Spiced with crumbled dried sage leaves and, to stand in for the thyme I didn’t have, a generous pinch of Bell’s poultry seasoning.

The pre-fab parts were mashed squash I had roasted and frozen and a TJ’s pie crust. Its slight sweetness played well with the squash.

16 Likes

We have family there!

Really? Meetup! :slight_smile:

1 Like

I thought ho fun was the wide pappardelle-like noodz?

Last night’s cacio e pepe / alfredo-ish fettuccine. A lil on the bland side, but that was the plan, as the other casa lingua resident is feeling a bit under the weather. Worse meals to have than this, for sure :slight_smile:

As for WFD tonight: wild-caught cod piccata (although knowing my luck it’ll be closer to cod hash piccata), baby yellow potatoes, mixed salad with dijon vinaigrette. Pic to follow later.

TGIF!

17 Likes

We enjoyed Cajun dry rubbed country ribs with Trader Joe’s sweet potato fries and an excellent Chateauneuf Du Pape.

13 Likes

That looks like what we experienced in Minnesota last week… 18" in about 9 hrs! Really crazy to us left coasters!!!

7 Likes

BF MADE FISH! as many of you know, this is momentous because he hates fish but says he made it for me. i know he’s always wanted to challenge himself by cooking it. Recipe was from Great British Chefs for Cod, Poached Egg & Potatoes in a butter chive sauce. i could have died happy in the sauce. and the potatoes were buttery delights, too. Cod was tender and perfect. i loved it!

He, of course, still hates fish. oh well…

19 Likes

That is a very attractive plate o’ food!

2 Likes

Oysters with caviar.

IMG_0803

And spinach lasagna.

IMG_0802

You know what’s cool about being an adult? You can eat whatever you want for dinner.

My kitchen’s a wreck now, though.

17 Likes

Hey , same outdoor table . Packed with snow.

1 Like

Those perfect, puffy, pillows of poached egg…sigh.

2 Likes

Pan seared grass fed rib eye, basted with butter, herbs and garlic. Asparagus, mixed greens salad, tomato, avocado, red onion, mushrooms and blue cheese dressing. Horseradish and wine.

'Tis the season

19 Likes

Fish cakes (cod, panko, scallions, basil aioli, egg) with celery-arugula salad, basil aioli and fries

17 Likes

The tree is finally decorated and I’ll share this story which I tell every year on social media: We bought this pre-lit tree in 2004 at Wal-Mart for $75. It has been with us for 17 years now, two houses, up and down into basements, and in and out of storage sheds. It is battered and bruised, touched up more and more every year. I’m not even sure if any of the original lights still work. We just keep adding a new string of lights every year and try to blend it in. Two strands were added this year. There are probably five or six different sets on there, and miraculously they manage to match. Everyone has their annual Christmas traditions. Me fixing up this now Frankenstein-esque tree is one of them.

Drinks before and during the decorating: made mom a laced egg nog martini, BF a gin martini, and I went old school with a “7 and 7”.

To eat: pizza!

24 Likes

Yes, I noticed! Where is yours? Ours is in Eagan MN

Mt Shasta, Ca .

I would gladly eat that & am so envious that your BF cooks!!!

3 Likes

Thank you! I am. VERY. Lucky, I know!

3 Likes