What's for Dinner #76 - the HO "Ho, Ho, Ho" Edition - December 2021

Udon noodles with sauteed broccoli florets, onion, and red bell pepper, and a surprisingly small chickie boobie cut up and added, all mixed with my Dad’s satay sauce.

I used some Mike’s Hot Honey in the satay sauce to give it some oomph on the heat. And cashews on top, because I can.

Yeah, there was wine. I’m a couple of days away from a week off plus holiday, and it’s been a hella week so far, so…

15 Likes

The snow is here . Been stocking up . Leftover chicken legs . Cauliflower sauted in tomato. White beans with bay leaf and herbs provance. Got to keep the pantry and fridge stocked. And of course plenty of wine and vodka. You don’t want to be going anywhere with these conditions. Cheers .:wine_glass:

22 Likes

Holy HELL thatsalotta snow! Hunker down with the wine, vodka, and hopefully a fireplace and enjoy the quiet.

5 Likes

Cheers. Right back atcha! :tumbler_glass:

1 Like

Trying to use things leftover from Thanksgiving. A single pie crust, too many eggs, half a package of bacon, half a pint of whipping cream, a lonely leek…made my first ever quiche Lorraine. It was quite economical except for the $15.99, 8 oz. brick of Gruyere :joy:

21 Likes

Champs Élysées cocktail

Everything bagel with cream cheese, smoked salmon, red onion, and tomato, can of Campbell’s chicken noodle.

18 Likes

I always have a can of Campbell’s chicken noodle in my pantry. I only dilute it 50% and put cracked black pepper in it when I’m congested and feeling crummy with a cold. That and a bourbon hot toddy is the cure.

7 Likes

Went to a meeting in Sacramento California this afternoon (and it took 2 hours instead of the usual 40 minutes), then went to South for dinner. Husband had meatloaf and I had catfish, and red beans and rice.

Husband enjoyed his meatloaf well enough, but for some reason this seemed like the best catfish I’d ever eaten! At least in part because it seemed like it made it from the fryer to my mouth almost instantly.

We also had a bucket of chicken and cornbread to go. emphasized text

Well it took two hours! Also it was son’s birthday. I might post this on California too.

17 Likes

We once had a party with fish tacos using Trader Joe’s fish sticks! They work great!

6 Likes

Ironically, they did not work for my spices - too much lost space.

Instead I’ve got shallow plastic baskets that I can slide in and out of the cupboard (with spice bottles grouped by use), and a wire rack / shelf organizer to create a second layer in each shelf. (Bulk spices are in a different place).

(I will freely admit that these methods only work when there is one primary user of the space. )

2 Likes

“One primary user of the space” LOL. I’ve had significant health issues for a few years and DH has stepped in to cook. I can never find spices, utensils, pots or pans when I do have the energy to work in the kitchen…he has totally messed around with my space.

6 Likes

Inspired by @mariacarmen’s chicken chile verde upthread, I made a vegetarian version with canned white beans, TJ’s fire-roasted corn, and the last of the CSA peppers supplemented with some from the supermarket. Thank you for the idea!

Something I learned: I didn’t want to prepare a pot of white beans for this, so I decided to try a can of Bush’s Best reduced sodium cannellini beans. Amazingly lacking in texture and flavor even after steeping in the flavorful broth. Those beans won’t be a repeat purchase for me.

13 Likes

Looks great! Yeah, I often make only a half cup of beans from scratch instead of using canned.

3 Likes

Good cheese is so expensive! I wait all year for Whole Foods 12 days of cheese, so I can buy my beloved Rogue River blue cheeses for less than $25/lb.

4 Likes

Over Thanksgiving week, we drove from Marin County, CA to Port Townsend, WA. On the way back, we stopped at the Rogue Creamery in Central Point, OR. I’d never had their cheeses, but they certainly sounded good. I bought the Smokey Blue, and the Rogue River Blue. I wish I had gotten more! At first, I liked the Smokey Blue better, but the more I tasted the Rogue River, the better I liked it. I also had some local Point Reyes Original Blue at the same time, but I have to say it paled in comparison. Now I want to go back and buy more.

10 Likes

You were in my neck of the woods, at least by the time you reached Port Townsend. That is just a short drive and ferry ride away. Yes, I adore RR. We visited their creamery once on a trip up and down the OR coast. The smokey blue is my favorite. They make a cheese exclusively for Whole Foods, that WF sells at a discount around the holidays, called enraptured blue. They take a wheel of the basic blue and soak it in wine for some period. I’ve had soaked in red and soaked in white. This year the special is with wine soaked cherries. When we’ve really hit the jackpot is those years that Trader Joes sells discounted Harry and David pears. The combo of the pears and the cheese is finger licking good.

6 Likes

We stopped at Harry and David’s in Medford as well and I bought some pears. I didn’t know about TJ’s selling them. I was just there today!
I also saw the enraptured blue in WF’s 12 days of cheese online. I think I need to get some immediately.
Port Townsend was fun. We stayed at the Swan Inn (nice) and had some incredible meals at the Silverwater Cafe, Khu Larb Thai, and the Fountain Cafe.

3 Likes

With many thanks to @small_h for the link upthread, I had a delicious Hudson Valley Fisheries fresh steelhead trout filet tonight. I slow-roasted it at 280F with lemon juice, soy sauce and butter and served with steamed broccoli. So good!

The shipping charge is off-putting for sure, so who knows if I’ll ever order from them again, but with the 50% off the first order I rationalized my way to a major Christmas indulgence for myself. So happy about it!

13 Likes

TJs only sells them some years. They’ll get the surplus if HD has a glut, but I heard this year was a hard harvest year for pears so no one got extras. I’m glad you enjoyed PT!

3 Likes

Overcooked but tender skirt steak, cheddar-sour cream mashed potatoes, and string beans Almondine.

20211216_204016

After the day I had, several vodka based cocktails.

17 Likes