What's Cooking? (New Jersey)

Thanks for the notes, looks tasty!

1 Like

I’m constantly mixing things that might not be made for the purpose I use it for. Not sure if that made sense or if it was a Yogi Berra-ism. In any event, I used a rendang beef mix to marinate some double cut lamb chops and then broiled them.

lamb

Sometimes it’s a bust and sometimes just delicious. These were awesome!

7 Likes

Not familiar with rendang, so I Googled and found it’s a curry. Sounds tasty. I love lamb chops! Where did you get those double-cut ones?

1 Like

Cut them myself from a Wegman’s rack as an early Xmas treat for myself. :wink:

2 Likes

In the past, I’ve been known to cut a lamb rack into single chops. Never done double-cut. Last New Year’s Eve, I made a whole rack of lamb. I ordered it from Lobel’s in NYC. It was very expensive but totally worth it as the lamb was seriously delicious. Lately, I’ve been buying kosher shoulder lamb chops at ShopRite. Of course, completely different from rib chops cut from a rack.

2 Likes

What's for Dinner #76 - the HO "Ho, Ho, Ho" Edition - December 2021 - #307 by paryzer What's for Dinner #76 - the HO "Ho, Ho, Ho" Edition - December 2021 - #307 by paryzer

A generally crappy day so a lot of cooking. Following my old adage that you can never have too many blueberries, I made these surprisingly healthy muffins ( secrets are Kodiak power cake mix and greek yogurt )

And I put this in the oven early this morning and just pulled it out now. Chinese Red Cooked whole pork shoulder.

One of these days I will learn how to cook for one person.

7 Likes

When you do, please tell me the secret! This is why I have NO space left in my freezer. At all times.

2 Likes

Came back from lunch to a full ribeye roll on my desk. Meat work holiday gift.
Split in half for a roast, which I had never done before, and some steaks. Roast could have been better. I blame the unrendered fat streak as shown. Steaks came out great.

6 Likes

I had one of those twin packs of pork tenderloin so I trimmed them up, sliced them fairly uniformly, and pounded them out into thin cutlets.

Did the three step, seasoned flour, egg wash, seasoned breadcrumbs and fried them all until golden brown and delicious.

I’d say it was an old Jewish tradition that fried food brings luck for the new year, but I did use pork. :grin:

Happy 2022 to all us HOs!

7 Likes

Looking good

1 Like

I never think to do this. But man pork cutlets are some of the best eats around. I’ve seen restaurants offering them more as chicken is getting scarce and $$$. Big fan of it.
Those looks awesome sir

1 Like

Decided to start the new year off with a good breakfast to hopefully help kick covid out of the house!!! (Yep Christmas Eve we got hit, surprisingly just one member of the house and so far, knock on wood, no one else)

Breakfast casserole, started with biscuits topped with a sausage hash, topped with and egg pocket (every one received a has brown from Dunkin Donuts as a surprise. I wasn’t sure I had enough potatoes to fill the pan so I bought a couple hash browns as filler “just in case”)
The egg was perfectly cooked with some creamy yolk and some sausage gravy on the side!

Delicious!!!

14 Likes

Today was a good day for brunch and some New York Rangers’ hockey. Eggs in a Basket.

10 Likes

Yesterday we had our first cooking project of 2022, which was vegetable spring rolls. The filling was a simple one consisting of Taiwanese cabbage, carrot, scallion, powdered garlic and ginger, soy sauce, and seasoned rice vinegar. I double wrapped them to be on the safe side and they held up perfectly. Also to be a bit healthier, we brushed them with oil and air-fried them. Would they have tasted better deep fried? Of course, but I don’t think too much flavor/texture was lost. Snacked on a couple and had the rest with some Chinese takeout for dinner.

We had some leftover wraps and scrounged around for some “fun” fillings to use them up, which included s’mores, pepperoni pizza, and Mexican queso. No pics since they did not photograph well despite being delicious.

10 Likes

Big pot of Sunday Sauce bubbling away! Justin actually let me help him this time.

And he’s making foccacia:

12 Likes

What meats are there going in that sauce? Meatballs, beef and pork bracciole and sausage?

1 Like

Nailed it.

1 Like

Finished products…

IMG_20220102_210141_477

So many leftovers.

10 Likes

They say that watching tv doesn’t influence your life choices, but I’m not sure I agree. I watched the DDD marathon over new years. Guy went to a joint in St Louis that claimed to have invented toasted ravioli. So, of course today, I had to make toasted ravioli.

Served with some hot tomato sauce on the side for dipping.

8 Likes