What's For Dinner #75 - the " Thanks and Giving Season" Edition - November 2021

Thank you :blush: Yes, one of the pictures was lobster crepe. The lobster was so tender.

1 Like

Yes - it smelled great. Since he’s retired, and because of my chronic health issues, husband has become quite good in the kitchen. I’ve schooled him in a lot of things but he takes on complex recipes that I would never have the stamina to execute now. He has degrees in engineering and mathematics, takes things quite literally, so it’s been a challenge to teach him to adapt and interpret from the printed word but I persevere.

12 Likes

The fourth picture?

It’s a seasoned flour mix. You can fry in oil or oven bake, and it comes out quite well. I had tried Drake’s Crispy Fry Mix on the recommendation of someone on a food board but was underwhelmed…then again, I had tried Drake’s as a batter vs. the dry mix method, so maybe it would work better that way.

I find the Dixie mix to be nicely seasoned, although one could certainly amp up the heat/spices for more flavor.

2 Likes

That coq au vin looks heavenly!

2 Likes

Thanks for elaborating, may order a couple different kinds.

1 Like

Yes the 4th picture was the lobster crepe. It was filled with chunks of tender lobster meat.

1 Like

It was delicious. Mrs. P doesn’t usually order chicken out but this chicken was so flavorful and juicy, and the sauce was amazing.

2 Likes

What’s for Saturday supper? Dumplings + steamed fresh spinach on the side with a drizzle of sesame oil. (No photo taken this time.)

I bought two kinds of dumplings from Boston’s Mei Mei at the farmers’ market near us. Thumbs up for their lemongrass pork dumplings. Didn’t care for the cheddar scallion potato ones. Quality ingredients in both but I think the texture of the potato gets too stodgy because the dumplings are so generously filled.

Will repeat variations on dumplings + greens for future dinners. Easy and fun so sharing the idea here.

5 Likes

not a link, but copied and pasted from my reply to Sasha…

This is my favorite red enchilada sauce.

6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
16 medium dried guajillo chilies (or combo) (about 4 ounces)
1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican)
1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper, fresh ground
1⁄8 teaspoon cumin, fresh ground
3 2⁄3 cups meat broth (beef, poultry or fish depending the use of the sauce) (can sub beer for part of the liquid)
1 1⁄2 tablespoons vegetable oil or olive oil
1 teaspoon salt, approximately, depending on how salty the broth
1 1⁄2 teaspoons sugar, approximately

Set a heavy ungreased skillet or griddle over medium heat, lay the unpeeled garlic on the hot surface and let it roast to a sweet mellowness, turning occasionally until soft when pressed, a few small spots will blacken, about 15 minutes. Cool, slip off skins and roughly chop.

While the garlic is roasting break the stems off chilies, tear chilies open and remove seeds, for the mildest sauce remove all stringy light colored veins. Finish and remove garlic if you haven’t done so. Toast the chilies a few at a time on your medium-hot skillet. Open them flat, lay them on the hot surface skin side up and press flat with a metal spatula (if the temperature is right you will hear a faint crackle), then flip them and do the same (If you press them just long enough they will have changed to a mottled tan underneath, a wisp of smoke is OK but any more than that they are burnt).

Transfer chilies to a bowl and cover with hot water and let rehydrate for 30 minutes, pour off all water and discard.

In a food processor or blender add chilies, garlic, oregano, pepper and cumin, add 2/3 cup of the broth and process to a smooth puree, scraping and stirring every few seconds (In a blender you may need to add a little more broth until everything is moving). With a rubber spatula, work the puree through a medium mesh strainer into a bowl, discard skins and seeds left in the strainer.

Heat oil in a medium-sized pot (4 quart) over medium heat, when hot enough to make a drop of the puree sizzle sharply add the puree all at once. Cook stirring constantly, as the puree sears, reduces and darkens to an attractive earthy brick red paste, usually about 7 minutes, taste it: You’ll know it is done when it has lost that harsh raw-chili edge.

Stir in remaining 3 cups of broth, partially cover and simmer, stirring occasionally for about 30 minutes. If the sauce has thickened past the consistency of a light cream soup, add more broth. Taste and season with salt and sugar - Salt to brighten and focus the flavors, sugar to smooth any rough or bitter chili edges.

Covered and refrigerated the sauce will last about a week. If you freeze it you will need to re-boil it to bring back the lovely texture.

Other chilies you can use - An equal amount of New Mexico chillies can replace the quajillo, the sauce will not be as full flavored; a chipotle or two adds complexity.

I don’t know where I got this from originally but it’s my go-to now. it may seem like a lot of steps but it’s a nice rainy-day project. and i’ve tried others, but again, this is my favorite. whatever you choose, though, I’d just say stay away from recipes that add tomato.

14 Likes

I’ve never been interested in that, but I am now!

3 Likes

Wow…….let me first say my thumb is literally tired from scrolling thru all those delicious meals guys!!! Just having returned from our annual family junket to our “home away from home” Aruba, We had a hankering for some home cooked - stomach warming meal to welcome us home.

Big ole’ pot of Sunday gravy, pork sausage, boneless short rib, my Nana’s meatballs and some stuffed eggplant parmigiana. (Extra pot and tray going to my father in law’s tomorrow).

To go for the family. Always remember Michael, family first.

Sign of peace in paradise

The last sunset for now……

23 Likes

Peace, yes, always a good thing! :v:t2:Happy you had a nice getaway and safe return. Food looks great, as always, I think your peeps are well fed.

1 Like

A few recent dinners:

Spinach and sausage lasagne with housemade pasta, chicken piccata with housemade papparadelle, and broccoli, red curry pork over brown basmati rice and a tasty Greek salad. Oh, lamb chops, baked potato, and asparagus. Despite looking overdone, the chops were a perfect medium rare, and closer to rare at the bone. Seasoned with Penney’s Turkish Blend, even though H is Greek. :upside_down_face: Also the lasagne ate much better than it looks - pasta was delicate and tender, sauce made from the dwindling tomatoes from the garden. Broccoli from the garden too, and really delicious at that!

18 Likes

While I haven’t liked their Tuna Nicoise versions (much different than previous) all of the plates look delicious and well prepared. Fruit de Mer and Coq au Vin have my name on them.

1 Like

Lasagna, Lasagna
The whole day through
Just an old sweet song
Keeps Lasagna on my mind.

I said Lasagna
Lasagna
A song of you
Comes as sweet and clear
As tomatoes on the vines.

(With my sincere apologies to Ray Charles after bastardizing his classic song!)

But I obviously wanted lasagna. It’s been on my mind for a week. But I needed sawce for the freezer, so I made a big batch and used some for tonight’s dinner using ground beef, sweet Italian sausage, chopped onions, red bell pepper, mushrooms, minced garlic with lots of dried herbs, tomato paste, canned diced tomatoes, and a 40 oz. jar of Rao’s marinara.

Noodles weren’t cooked. The ricotta was mixed with egg, Monterey Jack (because I only had a smidge of mozzarella left), grated Parm-Reg, a lot of fresh minced parsley, and salt and pepper.

Layered it all, topping it with that smidge of mozzarella, covered with cooking-sprayed foil, and baked for 45 minutes at 350°, then uncovered for another 15 minutes.

Let it sit for 15 minutes while the rolls baked. Poured the wine, cut the lasagna, buttered the roll, and it was dinner. Probably the best lasagna I’ve made because for once, I didn’t over-cheese it or over-sauce it.

A good dinner.

20 Likes

I was thinking the exact same thing after our recent lasagne - less is truly more when it comes to this beloved dish!

2 Likes

Mine is in the oven and smells great. So great to cook your own favorite foods.

22 Likes

Thank you! Yes, while the tuna Nicoise was good, Mrs. P thought it was a little boring, and ate most of my Fruit De Mer. I liked their older preparation (below) better.

5 Likes

Not a fan of either preparation tbh. Can’t say enough about how your meals look, truly works of art and food chemistry.
Now I have to come up with a Tuna Nicoise to look better than theirs. Thanks!!

1 Like