What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

i get the same when i make carnitas, although there are other flavorings in that as well.

3 Likes

As the tomatoes from the garden continue to bloom, in trying to be inventive. Mussels and spicy Italian sausage in a hot tomato broth served over linguine. Delicious!! Side of over done garlic bread :rage:

19 Likes

I dunno, garlic bread looks pretty darn delicious to me.

ETA: and not a slab of meat to be seen! :wink:

5 Likes

I don’t think I’ve ever had an egg that smelled bad, but we have had some with an abnormal consistency.

4 Likes

Once in a while, I cook 3 different meals for our little 3-member household. Tonight was an everything bagel and cream cheese for Spring Onion, wild Coho salmon oven-roasted with a honey/tamari/rice vinegar/jalapeño-habanero sauce (NYT) over rice with baby broccoli for B, homey Japanese curry with carrot/potato/red bell pepper/onion/chickpeas over rice for me. All locally-grown veggies.

ETA: We eat while lying down at chez digga.

15 Likes

Busy couple of days. Last night was Midwestern goulash with whole wheat macaroni noodles and arugula salad with vinaigrette:

Tonight was the same pasta mixed with more tomato sauce, dollops of ricotta, mozz, and Parm and baked. And broccoli.

Tomorrow’s my birthday - not sure if I’ll be cooking or not.

19 Likes

Have a very happy birthday!!!

2 Likes

Happy Birthday! Tomorrow is Mrs. P’s birthday as well :slightly_smiling_face:

3 Likes

I took some inspiration from other posters and today we had steak (first time ever cooking steak in the chef-y way with the crust and the butter/herb basting), chanterelle risotto, and a sliced “Cosmonaut Volkov” tomato - the only one my garden both produced and ripened this year. It was a lovely dinner. I photo’d while cooking, and do not have a composed plate to show.

20 Likes

more fridge clean-out - still had a bunch of Spanish charcuteria leftover, so made another tortilla de patata with that and Manchego too. I don’t think I’ve ever made one with cheese before - nor had one - and I know this is delving into the frittata category, but I’m still going to claim it for Spain. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Anyway, it turned out great. Maybe the fluffiest one I’ve ever made - and the thickest! Made a little cheater “alioli” for it - Kewpie mayo and Pimenton - so good. Salad with the last of my FM heirlooms and Marie’s blue cheese dressing.

tortilla de patata charcuteria & manchego 1

22 Likes

No dialogue necessary?

When cracked, very runny, part of yolk stuck to shell. Generally not good.

3 Likes

Seared scallops over chorizo and cheesy cauli grits. Chorizo was sauteed with poblano, red anaheim peppers and onion. Sliced tomato from the garden with a little oo and balsamic. Beige transition liquor was reposado tequila and tonic.

IMG_3851

18 Likes

Sounds and looks delicious!

Is that grits + cauli rice? Sounds right up my alley.

1 Like

Happy birthday!!!

1 Like

Tortilla looks tasty! I’m putting it on my mental list to eat soon… as soon as I have eggs again, haha. (No garlic in your alioli cheat?)

2 Likes

Always refrigerated since I buy them from WF or similar. Nothing different other than I think they may have sent me not very fresh eggs the last two times.

omg that scallop/chorizo dish with grits! genius!

no, totally cheater, just the mayo and Pimenton.

No, it’s chunks of cauliflower nuked, corn added and then nuked another minute. Pureed with the stick blender, stir in butter and cheese.

8 Likes