What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

It’s Fall.
It’s getting Dark(er).
It’s time to start cooking Warm(ing) Comfort foods.

Waking up to 43° temps in my neck of the United States this morning certainly calls for comfort foods. Braises - long, slow-cooking stews, pot roasts, curries, having a big pot of spaghetti sauce simmering away on the back of the stove, baking apple pies or galettes or cobblers, eating apple cider donuts, watching football games with tailgating foods, cuddling under blankets in front of a campfire…or a fire in a fireplace, or a fireplace on the big screen TV… :wink:

It’s my personal favorite time of year, but I know it eventually brings that four-letter word that not all of us are fond of, except around December 25th. But it’s too early for that.

What wonderful, warming comfort meals are you making if you’re in the midst of The Long Fall? And if you’re not - please extend the summer for those of us in the cooler temps!

12 Likes

October 1st…the first anniversary of my Mom’s passing…
October 3rd, I am getting married after 9 years after losing my wife.
Found a great person whom I knew in high school, connected after 47 years, and it is a total love affair.
I will post pictures…

26 Likes

Congratulations!!!

3 Likes

hah - it was 80 here yesterday, 75 today in San Francisco. I think we’ll be having salad tonight! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Congratulations @PHREDDY, what wonderful news!

2 Likes

Congratulations @PHREDDY! Thank you for sharing your joyful news with us.

3 Likes

This makes me happy - Congratulations, @PHREDDY !

1 Like

Then you are required (by law, donchaknow!) to keep Summer going for the rest of us with your summery meals!

3 Likes

Wow ! Congratulations …

All our best wishes …

1 Like

Congratulations @PHREDDY ! I’m so happy for you.

2 Likes

will do! and actually, it’s going to hit 80 again today.

2 Likes

Congratulations!

1 Like

Friday: Breaded baby squid called Chipirones … When fresh & the breading is perfect, one never forgets this Tapa.

8 Likes

Indian Summer here with chilly (fresquito) early mornings, approx. 12 degrees Centigrade and 23 to 25 Degrees Centigrade by mid-day 12pm.

Great weather … Still wonderful for terrace tapas …

Cooking: Classic traditional bean stews, roasts, baked pastas, shellfish, and we are waiting for Boletus Season, so we can do a mushroom risotto. Polenta of course & a Sunday Paella. A home made apple pie could hit the spot. Wine & Cheese pairings. Veggies: we have lots of red bells, broccoli, swiss chard (acelgas), spinach, and soon Navarran Cardoon (cardo) … (late November to end of January).

6 Likes

Best of luck Phreddy
Congratulations!

2 Likes

Flu shot. :white_check_mark:
Comfy clothes. :white_check_mark::white_check_mark:
Cats fed, fat and sleepy-happy. :white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark:
Wine poured. Two very full glasses. :white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark:

We survived yet again. Hello there, weekend. Nice to see you!

Dinner was easy-peasy lemon-squeezy. A monstrous BISO Frankenchickieboobie drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with Penzeys’ Florida Pepper seasoning mix with some additional dried, powdered lemon peel and a pinch of salt and roasted in a 400° oven for about 45 minutes due to its size, spooning some of the oil over top a couple of times until the center reached 165° on my Thermapen.

Broccoli steamed with s/p and dried thyme, and leftover Israeli couscous.

And note the four :white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark::white_check_mark: above. Yup. It was there. In all its brilliant glory.

Finny just said fuckit after his dining repast, and used the coffee table once again.

20 Likes

Nice to see you, @PHREDDY - and CONGRATULATIONS!

1 Like

Very glad for you @PHREDDY. So sweet.
Congratulations! Wishing you lots of love and happiness.

2 Likes

Chef Salad it was. Leftover assorted Spanish charcuterie, regular old ham, manchego and cambozola, hard boiled eggs, Grillo’s pickles, olives, shallots, sauteed zucchini, and heirloom tomato, in a shallot/dijon/oregano vinaigrette. Toasted brioche on the side.

I prefer Thousand Island on a Chef’s Salad (even though Blue Cheese is my first love) - goes well with the salty meats/cheeses. Plus I worked in various coffee shops for years in my yute and that was the standard. But we were out of sweet pickle relish and the BF said he didn’t want TI anyway. Blue cheese would have been too much, IMO, with the cambozola. Hence, vinaigrette. It was a good choice.

17 Likes

congratulations, mazel tov!

2 Likes