What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

Where from? Inquiring (local) minds want to know!

Lately I have been eating the same old, same old and leftovers from the freezer. Tonights dinner was inspired by some mini bells that needed to be eaten. I remembered @mariacarmen’s friend’s dish of roasted bells and found a recipe that sounded similar. I went heavy on the anchovies and they were delightful little salt bombs. Served with roasted biso chicken thigh, aji verde and a green salad with zanahorías aliñadas, castelvetrano olives, red onion, sherry vinegar & oo dressing and no Manchego cheese so a sprinkle of cotija. A few G&Ts as the good weather is hanging on by it’s fingernails and the Ducks and the Niners had a bad weekend so I needed to assuage my soul.

16 Likes

I had not either, until: pandemic. (Was not hard, actually - sous vide or pressure cooker).

But the portion size of the WF offering seems more reasonable (and it’s crate-free pork iirc).

1 Like

Was going to do awash, but ended up with queen of Sheba for timing… I’d still go with awash

1 Like

Kudos and cheers!!

1 Like

ooh, i love those little salt bombs!

and i need to make aji verde more often.

1 Like

We enjoyed an excellent dinner at Corso 98 in Montclair, NJ. We enjoyed delicata squash and arugula salad with pomegranate, roasted fennel, whipped feta, and mustard vinaigrette; Jersey corn and scallion pancake with bacon, honey, and Calabrian chili butter; stuffed honey nut squash with dried cranberries, mushrooms, apples, amaretti cookie crumble, and tahini maple vinaigrette; baked oysters with panko and shallot butter; sausage and broccoli rabe risotto with caramelized fennel, toasted pine nuts, and golden raisin salsa verde; eggplant piccata. It all went great with an excellent Gigondas and red blend aged in bourbon barrels.

14 Likes

Zucchini pasta (ala Stanley Tucci but by way of Meghan Markel - wha?? yes!) and the NYT… Markel’s version cooks low and slow for 4 hours, and is just zukes, chicken bouillon, and water. I added sauteed onion and garlic, butter, lemon zest, parm regg, dried chili flakes, lemon juice, and basil. Also sauteed some zucchini slices to garnish, which didn’t make it onto the plates until we’d started eating. It was OKAY, but I wouldn’t make it again.

Heirloom tomatoes with evoo, vermouth vinegar, capers, shallots & Maldon salt. Spicy Italian sausages - very good flavor if a little dry. Tomatoes were probably the best thing about this dinner.

83 degrees today in SF and i worked on TWO pasta sauces. the second will be later this week, and includes some of that sausage in a vodka sauce. That one i think turned out a winner.

19 Likes

Well, I was not patient with that cake last night (thank you all for the kind recovery sentiments). Intensely citrusy and delicious - halving the recipe but using the whole orange and lemon for zest and juice was a winner.

I stuck with carbs for tummy conservation - fried rice+quinoa from what was already in the fridge. My eggs went bad again (boo to you, Whole Foods! Twice this summer, and never before!) so I had a very plain version - aromatics and a few peas. But very delicious. Or maybe I was just starving. Or both.

I’ll have some yogurt plus a slice of cake for dessert shortly.

15 Likes

Oooh, I love a dollop of yogurt with a slice of cake like yours. Especially thick Greek yogurt or some labneh.

3 Likes

What dishes produce this? Pulled pork roast?

1 Like

AUGUSTPASTAROEBOND79141582_10213128746167925_1389724638140956672_o

12 Likes

How long did you keep those eggs? Were they refrigerated?

When I make country-style pork ribs, I have to bake them in the oven at a low heat since I can’t use a grill in my complex. The ribs get their rub on both sides, go into a shallow baking dish covered tightly with foil, and into a low oven for 2-3 hours. The liquid that results when I remove the foil cover is what I call “pork stock”. Technically, it’s “pork juice” but that doesn’t sound as good. :wink: But Penzeys also sells a pork base from which you can make stock as well.

7 Likes

I am sure that you know how to prepare a beef stock for beef stew.

Substitute the beef chunks for pork chunks for the stock with vegetables, carrot, celery, onion or shallot, some garlic, parsley and other herbs, a drizzle of white wine & Extra virgin olive oil, salt to taste, freshly ground pepper and water and simmer for a couple of hours.

Yes, I do - although I use beef bones with a bit of meat on the bones, along with a mirepoix of carrots, celery, and onions and a sachet of dried thyme, crushed peppercorns and a bay leaf.

5 Likes

:pleading_face:And @Saregama what do you mean by “bad”? Float on water , smelly made you sick?

I seem to keep my CSA eggs for a month, but if one smelled bad I might never eat another.

You could purchase some pork on the bone and do same …

@PHREDDY I missed the wedding and your wonderful HO reception, so send belated bestest wishes. Looking forward to photos and stories when your feet return to earth.

Snacky dinner with prosciutto, my new favorite goat cheese (Oriskany from Cochran Farms in NY), a lovely crystaly cheddar and various accompaniments. Actually one of my favorite dinners in awhile as my cooking mojo has been seriously lacking and not coincidentally has been producing lackluster meals.

16 Likes