What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

That looks absolutely delicious!

1 Like

@PHREDDY Congratulations! Wishing you every happiness.

@Saregama Feel better soon! I see that, like me, you buy “convenience” food occasionally and end up doctoring it up anyway, kind of defeating the point.

Gorgeous!

1 Like

I hope you’re feeling better today, @Saregama and can enjoy your baby cake!

1 Like

Doesn’t frying in those carbon steel pans make a huge mess? I’ve thought about frying in them many times.

Superbly splendid shellfish and red tuna …

Have a lovely Sunday.

1 Like

I normally fry in my kadhais - have a couple of small sizes. But for the fries, I needed a bit more floor space, and this 5" or so fry pan was perfect. Cold oil method - no mess.

I tried using the small Lodge CI pan last year when I was with family, and that was indeed a disaster. I ended up buying a small 8" curved pan similar to a kadhai or mini wok off Amazon, and everyone was converted to frying in that (except for large quantities of bhajias, for which the full size wok was necessary).

1 Like

How wonderful, congratulations.

3 Likes

It’s not even noon and already 88 here. :slightly_frowning_face:
I just had enchiladas from a nice local Mexican restaurant down the street.

3 Likes
6 Likes

Just back from a week of wine tasting in the Finger Lakes. We ate insane amounts of food, but few real meals - just lots of wine-friendly snacks! Back to cooking (and detoxing) tonight with flap steak in a Stroganoff-ish mushroom sauce, a big salad and sparkling water. My liver is thanking me already! :crazy_face:

9 Likes

Quiet day.

Big night coming up with the Pats against the Bucs. Probably the biggest NFL match up this season. A Patriots’ salute to TB12 prior to the teams taking the field, and another when (not if) TB12 breaks the all-time passing record (he only need 68 yards). I expect the Bucs to win, even without Gronk. But I’ll be very pleased if the Pats win.

Dinner was a Trader Joe’s pork belly seared in a stainless steel skillet and finished in the oven. For the sauce, pork stock was simmered with grated ginger and minced garlic until it reduced, with some Carr’s Ciderhouse cider syrup whisked in. A tab of butter added to “sauce it up”.

Leftover Basmati rice, and newly steamed green beans alongside. Wine.

19 Likes

83 here. supposed to cool down a lot tomorrow.

2 Likes

I have been SO curious about this product! Always tempted to buy it for pork belly buns or things like that. Are you a fan?

It’s the only pork belly I’ve ever made. It’s fully cooked, so it needs to be seared to brown/crisp the fat cap. I’ve found it to be very good. Is it the best? No idea, as I’ve never ordered pork belly in a restaurant nor have I cooked it from scratch.

3 Likes

My liver and I haven’t been on speaking terms for quite some time.

2 Likes

The Vikings never disappoint.

Rough start for Mac!

Ethiopian delivery here tonight, no photos but a metric ton of injera, plus doro wot and shiro wot. Not photogenic but delicious.

8 Likes

Made use of leftover chicken cutlets from Friday night via a sandwich with sautéed broccoli rabe and fresh mozz from the Italian market.

The weather keeps switching back and forth from gin to whiskey. It was 85 today (after needing to wear a hoodie last night). So tonight was a gin and tonic using Japanese Roku gin. First one with lime, second with the suggested slice of ginger which was much more appropriate.

22 Likes

OMG - I love it! Sunny and warm with a chance of gin! Cool and blustery with a certainty of bourbon - cold, with gusty winds predicted and a good chance of Dark & Stormys! Perfect!

2 Likes