What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

Ah, October. My favorite month. Ghosts. Horror movies. Pumpkin spice coffee. Whiskey. Need I say more?

Tonight’s dinner was the usual Friday night fare: chicken cutlets, mashed potatoes, and some spinach for greenery. There was Stoli. No pics.

Last night was Thai takeout. Pad Prikh Khing chicken and fried rice. Not my usual spice level, but delicious. There was Jack Daniel’s.

18 Likes

We enjoyed some excellent takeout from Pete’s Meats and Grill including some awesome pastrami egg rolls, pastrami short rib loaded fries, smoky pulled pork sandwich with frizzled onions and pickles, among other things. It all went great with an excellent French red blend.

14 Likes

Tonight was a compilation of things I did not cook - some needed significant adjustment to make edible.

Mushroom ravioli in a truffled sauce (frozen), a bag of sauteed mushrooms (also frozen). I remembered this being much better the last time… needed to redo the sauteed mushrooms with some vermouth and more seasoning, added the soupy sauce from the ravioli in to reduce further, and then reheated the ravioli in the resulting thick-with-mushrooms sauce.

Starter was much tastier - zucchini “carpaccio” with salt, pepper, chilli, lemon juice, olive oil, and cheese. I normally would grate parmesan over this, but I have shredded “piza toscano” left from last week, so I used it, and it was really good! I could have eaten a whole (giant zucchini) - I ate half, though. More tomorrow.

Last night I had the ravioli (which were much worse, pre adjustment) with a seared (half) ribeye (that had been cooked sous vide and frozen). Also finished the creamed greens (kale and brussels sprouts) with that. Steak was super.

Had the other half of a delicious yellow heirloom tomato with some mozzarella and castelvetrano olives. Decided I didn’t like the olives in there, so I ate the rest and left the olives for a salty snack at the end.

Oh, and there were two round of fries :roll_eyes: - one small potato and one small sweet potato. With chipotle aioli.

15 Likes

Cucuzza Bread - Moist and did not fall apart ( I ate a slice)
Per loaf- 2 cups of squeezed Cucuzza, apple sauce, light EVOO, 1/4 cup sugar, flour , baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla.

16 Likes

Looks wonderful!

Would you please share the amounts of apple sauce and oil?

Errands.

Wishing supermarkets still taught the young’uns they hire as baggers how to pack a grocery bag properly so things don’t get squished. Vegetables do NOT go under a large jar of peanut butter. And standing things up will help fit more in the bag. :thinking:

Watching the guys from a tree service cut branches off trees in my complex, and then toss them in the woodchipper, Fargo-style. :wink: The boyz didn’t like the noize.

Taking a brief nap after the noize was done.

Not a bad day.

Dinner was sauteed shrimp with saffron cream sauce on Basmati rice with steamed asparagus alongside (the butter from the shrimp saute drizzled over the asparagus).

Wine.

18 Likes

Mark Bittman’s “shrimp my way”; (my way is with berbere blend from whole spice) and roasted Kabocha with what-Ive-decided-is-wheatberry relish".

17 Likes

Congratulations!

Yes, congratulations to you both, and every happiness going forward! Looking forward to the pics!

2 Likes

Well, something threw my stomach off and i don’t know what it was.

Didn’t eat (other than a cup of tea) all day, and ended with chicken soup two ways - the broth from poaching a few days ago, plus rice, potatoes, and shredded chicken, and then a few frozen dumplings in the broth for “wonton soup.” Homemade broth is so flavorful.

Feeling sorry for myself, so I am baking a tiny cake - a one-bowl citrus “pound” cake. Smells wonderful, though I may wait till tomorrow to eat it.

21 Likes

Feel better soon! The little cake is way cute…

4 Likes
5 Likes

We enjoyed another outstanding dinner at Drew’s. Details and pictures are in the link below for those that are interested.

5 Likes

Wow on the Priorat !

Exciting selections. Have a lovely weekend.

2 Likes

Great you’re treating yourself. Hope you feel better now.

2 Likes

Sunday Lobster & Crayfish caught off the Cape with pasta.

11 Likes

TWO new voting threads are up - Cuisine of the Quarter AND Dish of the Quarter! Come on over and cast your vote!

6 Likes

May your mother’s memory be a blessing.

I am sure this time is bittersweet for you but you have such wonderful things to look forward to together. Can’t wait to see the pictures. Are you having the reception at the JBJ Soul Kitchen?

4 Likes

It’s so nice to have a friend who has a friend who is an avid tuna fisher. We were the lucky recipients of some freshly caught tuna yesterday - loin and belly. Needless to say, we went for a Japanese influenced dinner of tuna sashimi, sake-steamed wild shrimp, lightly pickled scallop sashimi and a cucumber salad. Everything was so fresh - in the ground or water less than 24 hours ago.

22 Likes

Hope you are feeling well enough today to enjoy your cake @Saregama. Fingers crossed for you!

3 Likes