What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

@paryzer
@Sasha

If I am not mistaken, Goya is based in Puerto Rico or Mexico or in this vicinity …

I think it could be a Latin American Company – I could be wrong however, if it is Spanish as in the Iberian Peninsula, it is very rare to find Goya products. A few are sold in Latin owned markets by South American or Dominican or Cuban Immigrants.

I am going to take a look at the history of the corporation. It may have been a Spanish Corp. and it was possibly sold to a foreign national.

1 Like

@paryzer
@Sasha

Re: WIKIPEDIA: GOYA is an American Company - Headquarters are in New Jersey.

According to Wikipedia, Goya Foods are focused in The Dominican Republic Market and the Puerto Rican Market as well at the Latin Community in the Usa.

It is NOT Iberian Spanish … This is why we have rarely seen it at our national markets.

1 Like

Don’t worry @Barca it’s not a company that I plan to patronize very much. I am not a fan of their politics.

4 Likes

I have no idea what their politics are or not are however, we do not buy Goya Products.

We prefer our Spanish traditional beans stored in oak barrels and placed in linen bags …

A favourite Napoletano Pizza with fresh basil and anchovies and Mozzarella di Bufala and tomato marinara coulis.

Not much else as we had headed up to the Cape to see our parents, sons, daughter in laws and grandsons. A break …

6 Likes

Recipe looks wonderful and just in time for Chanukah in a month! I bet it would be delish with egg noodles too. Or a cauli mash. Or spaetzle.

1 Like

Zankou land! Miss that place so much. TG Trader Joe’s has a passable garlic sauce.

1 Like

Good to see you here again!

1 Like

Thank you.

Much appreciated Sasha.

1 Like

I like how you roll. Cheesesteaks are amazing. And kimchi with cheese is weirdly magical. I haven’t tried it like this - only in grilled cheese sandwiches.

2 Likes

How do you de-beard? I just pull, but it can be hard work! Any other tricks for prepping mussels? Do you leave them in cold water with cornmeal for a few hours so they spit out their sand? I do that - not sure if it works or is an urban myth.

2 Likes

My Friday Night Standard was required after a very long short week.

Steak tips with Ballymaloe steak sauce, half a baked tater with TPSTOB and sour cream, and steamed green beans.

Wine.

14 Likes

Dinner tonight was salmon with a mustard sauce, garlic no knead bread, Spanish rice and steamed broccoli. A slice of mocha cake for dessert.

Have a nice weekend. I’m watching Squid Game to see what all the fuss is about. Anyone?

9 Likes

I had bought a pork chop last week but haven’t been home to eat it.

Didn’t feel like the usual pork chop things, so I cut it up, marinated, and steamed like dim sum black bean spare ribs.

Garlic green beans and vietnamese-style broccoli slaw alongside.

I’ve been trying to figure out how to do non-program things in the instant pot - tonight I steamed the pork using the sterilize function to get started, and then switching to saute to maintain. Odd, but it worked. I think some models have a steam setting.

11 Likes

This is what’s for dinner.

14 Likes

yep, i’m convinced it would be delish with a brick! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

Serious Eats Chinese spare ribs (char siu) - Lots of 5 spice made them taste like the real deal. Marinated overnight. A little charred broccoli with tons of garlic, and sesame oil, soy sauce, and red pepper flakes. Simples.

13 Likes

Strip steak, roasted green beans, and cauliflower piccata

15 Likes

I keep seeing Squid Game ads but don’t want to bite. I’m not wanting to see anything violent.

2 Likes