What's For Dinner #74 - The Long "Fall Into Darkness, Warmth & Comfort" Edition - October 2021

I put them in a colander. I run water over them for 5 minutes or so I’m on a well . Cold water . Swish them around. Grab the beard and pull down to the hinge side of the shell. I don’t do any of the cornmeal. Simple . That’s my method. The mussels are coming from Washington state . Their fabulous. I live close to the Oregon border in California. :hocho::wine_glass:

2 Likes

I think you said Mt Shasta before, right? Beautiful country. We’ve driven through a few times. I do the same with the beard. I thought there might be a trick. I’m in WA so we should be getting the good mussels. I need to look around. This is the season I think - cold months.

1 Like

Yeah, I didn’t make it past the first episode.

I made pork stew from Abruzzo with cacio e pepe polenta and a big green salad with maple balsamic dressing. Pumpkin pie with whipped cream for dessert.

14 Likes

Tonight almost the same mussels and clam dish as a couple days ago . Except I added Parmigiano reggiano rinds to to the dish . Extra umami . Breaking the rules . So good. Cheers :wine_glass::cheese:

6 Likes

Don’t watch it. I like it, but my tolerance for (non-gratuitous) bloodshed is pretty high.

I have been watching “Rick Stein’s Mediterranean Escapes” from 2007 on Amazon prime video and enjoyed it quite a bit.

1 Like

Thank you.

Umami boost! Sometimes I add microplaned parmesan to panko breadcrumbs as a topping when baking white fish such as haddock.

Don’t tell anybody. :wink:

4 Likes

Thank you! Never heard of zhoug. Have lots of cilantro in the garden so I’ll be making it soon. Love all the ingredients so I know I’ll love it.

5 Likes

Thanks for the pointer. I saw a new food doc posted on Hulu was up hosted by David Chang but haven’t checked Prime video for some time.

Gifted 8 of these pizzas. Arrive in dry ice. Surprisingly good. Easy to doctor up.

10 Likes

Nice dinner, tried to watch Squid Game, only lasted about 1/2 of episode 1, not my kind of thing… :disappointed:

Nice to see you, Karen. My brother encouraged me to watch 3 episodes and then decide. I agree with you. I’m watching Dopesick on Hulu and disgusted for a different reason (but I’m a Michael Keaton fan). Pizza and tv, livin’ large. :laughing:

1 Like

Not a must but it taste better

Pretty sure many here save shrimp shells for seafood stock. I know I do. I do admit to shelling shrimp while raw, but the shells go into making seafood stock

1 Like

Haircut Day =
Visit to my Happy Place Day =
Scallops for Dinner Day.

I’m nothing if not predictable when it comes to Haircut Day.

Local-caught Wegmans sea scallops seasoned with just s/p and sauteed in butter and olive oil over some Basmati rice with a quick lemon, shallot and wine sauce mixed in with the rice, and sauteed sugar snap peas, red bell pepper and some TJs corn with a sprinkle of Penzeys Tuscan Sunset.

Wine for the sauce and wine for the cook.

15 Likes

Words to live by.

5 Likes

Asparagus, petrale, morels, vin jaune sauce

18 Likes

I had cauliflower piccata a friend made last weekend. So good!

1 Like

It’s such great stuff and easy to have on hand!