What's for Dinner #69 - The "It's Gotta Be May" Edition - May 2021

Mrs. P made crispy panko fried soft shell crabs and shrimp with TJ’s sweet potato fries and homemade guacamole with Zapps Voodoo chips. It all went great with an excellent cabernet and Malbec, both under $20 each.

20 Likes

Spicy guisado de pollo tonight, cleared out a ton of veggies from the fridge, and hominy from the freezer. Rice made with the stock from par-boiling the chicken - delicious chicken-fatty rice. Comfort food!

15 Likes

Frozen pizza for dinner.

Earlier in the day I fixed some indian sweet making mistakes from last year that I had frozen rather than deal with at the time.

Badam katli - almond “fudge” / marzipan-ish. It got overcooked the first time around and released oil, so I added more almond meal and sugar, heated just enough, kneaded till it came together, and ta-da it was fixed. Rolled out and cut into diamonds.

Other half of the same overcooked almond mixture turned into Badam sheera - a soft, caramelized version that has milk, cardamom, and saffron.

And finally, Kalakand or milk fudge that I made at diwali but that ended up with the wrong texture and a bit too sweet - warmed again, mixed with some pistachios, and formed into Peda.

17 Likes

Your potato dishes look deliciously unusual. I do wish you’d describe them.

Squid, bok choy, wood ear mushrooms, rice noodles. Fast, easy, could eat every day, probably.

IMG_7762

13 Likes

Kudos to Mrs P on those softies, they look fantastic!!

3 Likes

Thanks @NotJrvedivici! We got them at Kings Supermarket.

1 Like

:point_up_2:t4:

1 Like

I love guisados-style tacos and love beef stew. In other words I’m making this! :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Love birria tacos & consommé too! Lol. I’ve never found them with chicken… maybe I’ll have to make them.

2 Likes

Very pretty. Purple & green are contrasting colors. :slightly_smiling_face:

Roaming wild turkeys who like to sit in chive beds! Awesome.

1 Like

Nice! We had to cancel our Italy/Spain trip last year due to Covid. :cry: But I buy things from a store called Epicurus and mail order from La Espanola similar to your Spanish Table.

1 Like

Okay, you did describe them and I even gave you a like! :crazy_face: Where is my head this month?! Anyhoo looks delish!

LOL!

Off-topic :grimacing:

We get these at Tacos El Compita in our ‘hood.

Pepe’s Red Tacos Truck near USC is also a favorite. Great Consommé. The college kids are in heaven. There’s at least 5 great taco stands in that vicinity.

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled programming…

14 Likes

After a week of heavier meals starting with a pot of Sunday gravy and then my chicken cordon blu meatballs concoction, tonight I wanted a lighter broth vs any sauce. Also since Memorial Day Weekend seems to have fallen on Oct. 20th this year with fall like coolness and rain. {{sigh}}

Seafood fra’diablo in a delicious tomato garlic and onion broth. Clams, mussels, shrimp and lobster tails served over Linguine. This dish hit the spot! Splurged a bit on my favorite wine, so smooth it’s like farting in silk pajamas.

Cheers!!!

14 Likes

We camped for two nights with my MIL and made barbecue chicken thighs with grilled zucchini, baked beans (not pictured) and kale Caesar salad:

As well as grilled cheeseburgers on brioche buns, green salad with red wine vinaigrette, guac and blue corn chips, and purchased cole slaw:

Tonight, back home, I made family favorite creamy chicken gnocchi soup (adding mushrooms and green beans):

I cooked the gnocchi as well as some pasta separately to accommodate various restrictions and preferences.

16 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

Which came first?
The chicken :hatched_chick: or the egg :egg:?

In my case today, the egg, as I has a fried egg on a toasted and buttered English muffin for brunch.

Then, after a lazy day reading and watching the intermittent rain come down outside in barely 50° weather, came the chicken. Glad I saw them on sale at Market Basket yesterday. It was a perfect Sunday dinner on a raw and cold Saturday evening.

The bird was rinsed and dried, seasoned with s/p and sat in the fridge all day. Roasted at 400° for 30 minutes, then finished at 350°, with a bit of butter melted on top after the first 30 minutes to help crisp the skin.

Side were roasted Yukons drizzled with olive oil and seasoned with Spicewalla Honey and Herb seasoning rub that I picked up at World Market yesterday, and steamed asparagus.

Definitely wine.

And yes, the potato in the middle of the potato pile looks like Audrey from Little Shop of Horrors. :wink:

20 Likes

Salade Niçoise for dinner. I didn’t have haricots verts so I subbed wonderfully delicious Washington asparagus. Little red potatoes dug from the garden. There was wine.

18 Likes

First meal at a restaurant since this whole sh!tshow started. Outdoors, and they had bubbles but the sides were rolled up on this lovely evening.

In a surprising twist, the vegetarian chose the fancy sushi place.

It felt weird but so normal again. Severs had masks, of course.

We were too busy enjoying the novelty for me to remember to take pictures until we had decimated most of the food!

Tomorrow we’ll continue the run with brunch outdoors - restaurant choice driven solely by potato options :joy:

12 Likes