What's for Dinner #69 - The "It's Gotta Be May" Edition - May 2021

I’ve been overdue to make a nice pot of Sunday gravy. Sadly the news of my neighbors adult child passing from complications of covid finally motivated me to make a pot.

Sausage - meatballs (grandma’s recipe) and some gravy! (also grandmas )

Tray of baked ziti going across the street as well has a tray of meatballs and sausage. Hopefully some comfort will be found in a meatball made with love.

Everything good starts with garlic and shallots

I actually like my Shop Rite store brand sausage

Always made with my grandmother and mother in mind

Simmering, I should make candle scented like my house right now

Going across the street

Some delicious ricotta

For us…rigatoni my favorite noodle

21 Likes

Thank you very much, and yes I do!

1 Like

Woks of Life Shanghai-Style Braised Pork Belly, with pork shoulder instead because that’s what i had - it did have a layer of fat & skin on it, though, so I thought this prep would work out well - and it did! Super simple braise - just sugar, light & dark soy, shaoxing wine, water. I would maybe add a star anise next time. Fatty bits were fatty-licious. Oyster mushrooms/asparagus/chive stir-fry to go with. I made just enough for one serving each, damn it.

15 Likes

ugh, that’s awful, sorry about your neighbor’s kid.

food looks very comforting indeed.

4 Likes

Indian tonight.

• Chicken in yogurt-mint sauce (riff on my moms yogurt chicken - we are flat out of the cilantro that goes in that)
  • Black-eyed peas for 2 of us who will eat them (I love them!) - freezer dal for the rest
  • Okra
  • Cauliflower

I tried my hand at a naan recipe today - both GF and regular. I was unimpressed, but everyone else enjoyed it.

14 Likes

You’re a good egg.

2 Likes

Sorry about your neighbor’s son. Good neighbors make such a difference at times like these.

I like rigatoni too, but not penne so much - is that weird?

3 Likes

Tostones with garlic parsley oil and veg arroz con gandules for a (vegan!) Meatless Monday dinner.

14 Likes

those tostones look like what people who rave about tostones are talking about, but that I’ve never found! Whenever i get them in a restaurant they’re dry and tough and flavorless and I’m always like, what do people even like about these?? give me platanos maduros any old time. however, i’ve still not ever tried to make tostones myself, so…

5 Likes

Thanks! My first time making them, was pretty simple, I just cut up a green (well green turning yellow because I had left it sitting for a little too long) plantain into 1 inch chunks, fried in a little oil on both sides, took them out, squished them with a cup, and then fried them again in more oil until kind of crispy, and then put some salt on them.

6 Likes

Would you make them again?

2 Likes

Food made with love is always a help during sad times. It will definitely be comforing to them.

2 Likes

HEY! I’ve got about 5 more months to go before we’re the same age again! LOL

2 Likes

Favorite Italian Gourmet Boutique in Madrid.

9 Likes

10 Likes

Absolutely!

I need to lay off the carbs and fat, so I made braised daikon for dinner.

9 Likes

I made carne guisada served with cauli-jasmine rice, and a side of cabbage sauteed in butter and tossed with a little habañero salsa. Green garden salad (radish greens and romaine in balsamic vinaigrette).

13 Likes

Asian for dinner again.

• Steamed fish with ginger, scallions, cilantro, and soy sauce
  • Vegetarian beyond meatballs and baked tofu with spicy peanut dipping sauce
  • Ginger sesame broccoli
  • Garlic green beans
  • Japchae from the freezer (last week’s)
  • Sticky rice from the freezer
  • Fresh rice to go with the sauce for the fish

14 Likes

@mariacarmen @Mr_Happy

Just so happens that we had tostones last night too! BF made these and Lomo Saltado (not pictured).

12 Likes