What's for Dinner #69 - The "It's Gotta Be May" Edition - May 2021

Rare early dinner. Like early early. Especially for us. The sun was still shining! Or I guess you could call it a late lunch since we ended up getting something else later on. We met the BF’s sisters for Mexican food after a walk in the park on this beautiful day.

I and one sister had chicken birria tacos. They are all the rage on social media and these lived up to their potential! So crispy. So cheesy. So flavorful. The accompanying consumme was delightful.

IMG_20210525_164058_750

Other sister had flautas.
![IMG_20210525_164058_790|700x700](upload://fmWjLr1dZ6Ed1nOvTlQuFOiR34flaunts.

BF had chalupas.

Served with an array of four salsas and homemade tortilla chips.

To drink when we got home: 1776 Rye. If I had a dollar for every bourbon or rye whiskey that proclaimed to be the “oldest” or “first” in America, well, I’d never have to spend my own money ever again. This James E. Pepper 1776 Straight Rye at least looks the part. Professing to be unfiltered, it is bottled at 100 proof and has the burn to go with it. But as that subsides, there are some wonderful peppery notes. This is probably the tastiest rye I’ve ever had, up there with Bulleit. And I just love the bottle. Cheers!

15 Likes

Looks great, very nicely fried!

1 Like

Pho ga from freezer today for dinner

11 Likes

Beautiful shot! Can you share the recipe/technique? Especially if it is somewhat low in fat, because it doesn’t look it - all shiny and glisteny.

1 Like

Very simple: Slice the daikon and peel or peel and cut into rectangles. Brush one side with a bit of oil then fry over moderate heat to get the color. If you want to color both sides, brush a little oil on the top side before you flip it. After, add enough beef stock to cover it, turn it to low and let it cook for an hour – daikon takes a long time to cook. After that, it’s just a matter of reducing the remaining liquid so that it holds onto the diakon giving it that nice shine (which comes from the gelatin in the stock). :slight_smile:

You can do something similar with dashi but it won’t take on that color, but it’s really good in udon.

4 Likes

MIL is visiting since yesterday till this time next week. Tonight I made teriyaki pork tenderloin, miso-butter roasted cauliflower, peanut soba noodles, and sauteed Swiss chard. Margaritas to drink (DH’s idea).

Shrimp cocktail to start.

18 Likes

I’ve been trying to get through the many recipes I’ve saved but never made in order to pare down my files. I decided to make Baghali Ghatogh, an Iranian bean stew with turmeric, lots of dill, and lemon - flavors I like individually and love together. The recipe called for dried butter beans which I thought I had but didn’t so I used black-eyed peas.

Some recipes call for whisking in an egg or serving the stew topped with a poached egg. I was also out of eggs so I used a dollop of labne. Served on bed of basmati rice since I had some that needed to be used up.

16 Likes

Italian tonight, centered around pork belly I had marinated/rubbed with porchetta seasonings and cooked sous vide weeks ago, but somehow never fit into the meal plan.

I seared cubes of the pork to brown all around, then deglazed with vermouth and made a pan sauce with the defatted pork juices.

My pasta was ricotta and spinach gnudi from the freezer (made a couple of months back), finished with sage and brown butter. I tried the single pan-fry-steam method instead of two steps (and liked it).

Kids had GF spaghetti with either homemade tomato sauce (Marcella, with canned San Marzanos) or butter and parm.

Roasted cauliflower for all.

14 Likes

Can’t believe I haven’t made this yet! I like miso butter everything! And cauliflower everything!

2 Likes

Coffee rubbed pork tenderloin, roasted brussels, new potatoes and rainbow carrots. Easy enough for a busy day.

IMG_3367.HEIC

10 Likes

Flageolet beans, fried merguez sausage patties, and mint yogurt sauce.

15 Likes

Maria, a different animal from the maduro, but they shouldn’t be that dry. Think of them like fried sweet potatoes

1 Like

Getting asparagus in our CSA box called for fettuccine with asparagus. I used slivers of thinly sliced prosciutto, which you could omit. Or use almonds instead.

Chive blossoms aren’t just decorative. We crumble them over our pasta for an intense oniony flavor. Gotta use those blossoms before the roaming wild turkeys decide to sit in the chive bed.

17 Likes

wow, that looks delicious.

1 Like

That looks beyond luscious

1 Like

ABCLARUMBESEAFDSALAD104595183_2870435216338420_5177948975717983158_o

11 Likes

Monday night was beans and franks, aka cannellini and brats, cabbage slaw and dessert was the first strawberries from the garden.

Tuesday Shrimp Louie.

Wednesday scallops, cauli rice with carrot and asparagus, Caesar salad.

15 Likes

Soooooooo…I’m honestly not sure if I’m proud or ashamed of myself for this one. My Facebook page (yes that’s part of the shame in this story) is frequently visited by Tasty food/cooking videos with generally odd creations. This is the tale of a man-child who tried one.

Yes it was on his Facebook page where the man-child came across a recipe for chicken cordon Blu’ meatballs. It starts with some heavily seasoned ground chicken flattened in your palm where you place a piece of sliced ham and a cube of Swiss and roll it together into a chicken cordon Blu’ meatball. Served in a garlicky creamy Alfredo style sauce served with mini rigatoni.The man-child always concerned with healthy eating threw in a little fried broccoli bites (frozen) to keep it healthy!!

While the man-child and family truly enjoyed the flavors and combinations it was a heavy, heavy meal. Not really sure I enjoy the heaviness of it even though it tasted delicious. Might see it on a Olive Garden menu sometime soon. Lol

We hope you enjoyed your Hungry Onion Story Hour of “The Man-Child and Facebook” Until nest time be well my friends!!

Look at my balls!! (Lol sorry couldn’t resist)

A peek inside!!!

My friends in NJ !!!

18 Likes

those look highly edible!

2 Likes

hubba hubba on that pork belly!

2 Likes