What's for Dinner #69 - The "It's Gotta Be May" Edition - May 2021

I’ve definitely heard that, but we don’t in my family.

Also used are watermelon rind, mango peel and seed (after juicing), bitter melon peel - or really any gourd/squash, and so on. Lemon peel makes great pickle.

1 Like

I made a cauliflower and turmeric soup (WSJ recipe, just ok) a couple of days ago and had some leftover. Decided to repurpose it as a sauce for shrimp. I used up some leftover onion, cabbage, canned tomatoes, and spinach. Added garam masala, cumin seeds, and fresh ginger. Tasty and I have so much more room in the fridge. A win!

12 Likes

Sorry for what you’ve been through, but I’m so glad you’re back.

5 Likes

That. Looks. Great!

I made a leftovers version, kinda. Wish I had thought of crispy shallots. I also had a couple hard boiled eggs I forgot about. Gosh dang it!

Leftover Takeout Laksa w/Rice Noodles, Leftover Long-grain Basmati Rice, Takeout Rotisserie Chicken, Thai Basil, Scallions, Lime

Looks harmless enough but it was super spicy. :hot_pepper:

11 Likes

I have a friend whose Peruvian mom boils banana peels for medicinal purposes like skin irritations, boils & such. :grimacing:

1 Like

Yep, love the pear talk @bmorecupcake.

Steak looks :drooling_face: Love the fennel pollen & smoked paprika idea on the potatoes.

2 Likes

Chicken Tikka Masala last night. For one of my jar sauce hacks it was surprisingly spot on.

16 Likes

Pulpitos (baby octopus clusters), Calamari … Zucchine (Courgette) …

19 Likes

Inspiration. I just bought a bag of squash blossoms for stuffing, battering and frying - they came attached to baby zucchinis which I wasn’t sure what to do with. Thanks to your post I’ll slice & batter fry those too… duh.

P.S. Your baby pulpos look delicious.

3 Likes

Oh yes, zucchine flowers ! They are lovely !

Yes, just sauté in a good Evoo …

Yes, the baby pulpitos are delicious and the calamari - my all time favourite !

Thank you, Have a lovely evening / day.

3 Likes

oh interesting! when you said ginger scallion chicken, i was imagining like a poached chicken breast and ginger scallion sauce, but that’s a good combo for stirfry too!

4 Likes

I sent a friend his favorite coconut cake as a treat to break his fast. He said I ruined all the working out he’s been doing. :innocent:

5 Likes

This does it Barca! Squash blossoms and Calamari would be my choice for my last meal on earth. Now that I see yours, I’m sure of it!

7 Likes

I do love the poached chicken with ginger scallion sauce, but it wouldn’t fit the other meat eater in the house at the moment… one of these days though…

3 Likes

I made banana peel “tea” to feed the plants a while back, but the sight of the peel sitting in a jar grossed everyone out so I haven’t done it again…

2 Likes

With lots of spinach and kale from our CSA box, now’s the time for the first greens pie of the year. Roasted butternut squash dusted in zaatar on the side.

I used boxed puff pastry because cleaning and blanching the greens takes awhile. Usually I use a regular pie crust, either white or whole wheat. Both my husband and I decided we enjoy a regular pie crust better for this dish.

13 Likes

Funny! Is it a good fertilizer?

I roasted Knackwurst over baby gold potatoes and onions and served with Sauerkraut with apples. Kale salad on the side.

16 Likes

Miso soup, salmon shiozake, Camembert cheese, tamagoyaki with grated daikon, takuan, kimchi, rice porridge with umeboshi, spinach oshitashi.

18 Likes