What's for Dinner #69 - The "It's Gotta Be May" Edition - May 2021

Assam Laksa.
IMG_7518

and roasted king oyster mushrooms with butter and salt.

IMG_7521

Generally successful!

12 Likes

How ya’ doin?!

2 Likes

Looks really good. What’s the sauce on the snapper?

1 Like

Tomato , garlic , olive oil , sweet Spanish pimenton , saffron.

3 Likes

Indian for dinner tonight.

• Sindhi cardamom lamb
  • Paneer makhani
  • Cauliflower
  • Zucchini
  • Dal with garlic and cumin tempering
  • Chapatis & rice

14 Likes

You deserve it. :hibiscus::two_hearts: They did a pretty job on the flowers too.

1 Like

Seared Salmon w/Ground Mustard Sauce & Sautéed Spring Onions & Spring Garlic

I finally got some sear on my salmon in an All-Clad pan without sticking! I don’t love the AC as much as some do and usually use the Cast Iron or GreenPan for searing. But I took another stab at achieving the maillard reaction in this frustrating (to me) pan by doing as Alton says - let the protein sit without fiddling until it crusts enough to unstick from the pan… Okay, okay! It overcooked a bit to achieve this, but it’s a start.

Sugar Snap Peas, Baby Bell Peppers, Carrot, Spring Onion, Spring Garlic & Sauce of Miso, Butter & Sake

Smashed Skin-on Potatoes w/the PSTOB

15 Likes

Thank you for asking! I’m about 90% better, just dealing with a little residual itchiness and redness.

6 Likes

Oh lawdy, that tater tho…

2 Likes

DH made (and plated) dinner again last night: smoked ribs glazed with a sauce concocted of wineberry jam, pom molasses, sweet soy, and various other things and a delicious rub (from Project Smoke), buttered green beans, and summer squash “noodles”. It was very tasty, although half the ribs was plenty for me.

15 Likes

Tonight I made lemongrass turkey meatballs and rice noodles in ginger-turmeric-coconut broth. Topped with cilantro, jalapeño, lime juice, and crispy shallots.

16 Likes

@Saregama, I just read an article in the New York Times about cooking banana peels. It seems they are used in northern India as well as southern India. Do you use them in your cooking?

Dinner from a few days ago:

Made potato salad with what I had on hand as close as possible to @mariacarmen’s instructions. Steamed red multi-purpose potatoes (I think these are different from smooth red potatoes like red bliss), minced vidalia onions, chives, sweet relish, mayo (which includes garlic and mustard), salt, and pepper.

I couldn’t find a sweet relish I liked, so I had to make relish which took some time. My chives had no flavor, which is odd because they were bursting with onion-y goodness earlier this spring. I was fasting due to Ramadan so I couldn’t taste as I went along. It looked perfect visually, but it needed more of everything. The potatoes weren’t very flavorful, so that probably hurt it the most. Every time I buy budget potatoes from LIDL or Aldi, I tell myself, never again, just splurge on Trader Joe’s potatoes, but I always falter. So I doubled everything except pepper, added scallions to make up for the lack of chives flavor, and it was perfect the next day. I’m getting daily requests for another batch.

Korean pears were excellent a couple weeks ago. This is a Singo. I get the texture and taste of a floral sugarcane. A couple weeks earlier we had Wonhwang pears (if I recall correctly.) Those were out of this world. I never tasted anything like that before. Like the pear version of mangosteen.

Picked up tostadas at LIDL . Didn’t know what to do with them so treated them like nachos or tacos. Ground beef, sharp cheddar, avocado, jalapeno, cilantro, sour cream, salsa, lemon-marinated onions, and scallions. It was way too sour. Fixed them the next day by melting the cheese and using raw onions and tomatoes. I still don’t think cheddar works here. I need to read about tostadas and learn the proper flavor profile.

Avocado sticky rice with mung bean topping. I was excited about this one but it was just okay, even with a very flavorful avocado. I like avocado ice cream and avocado shakes, as well as avocado and chocolate, so I really wanted this combination to work better.

16 Likes

Have you been posting recently? I’ve missed your contributions. But maybe I overlooked them somehow.

1 Like

yay on the tater salad! sounds lovely, with your adjustments.

taco/tostada - potato/potahto. We almost always serve our tacos flat like that, like you get in Mexico.

that pear sounds so interesting! i can’t wait until i can get over to our brand new H Mart to try some hopefully new fruits.

3 Likes

marinated marbre steaks from our frenchy butcher, with crash hot potatoes seasoned with s&p, garlic, fennel pollen & smoky paprika. and a big ol’ salad, with red leaf, mint, scallions, avo, radishes, feta, & tomato.

19 Likes

that broth sounds amazing.

2 Likes

No, have not. About 2 years ago had some family affairs to deal with and never recovered. Just starting to get back to a somewhat normal routine.

11 Likes

Chinese tonight.

• Ginger scallion chicken
  • Beyond meatballs with spicy peanut sauce
  • Indian hakka-style noodles (but with GF capellini)
  • Fried rice for one kid
  • Shiitake mushrooms with soy, garlic, and chilli
  • Garlic green beans

Chicken was meh - I do hate breast in these dishes. I even velveted today, but still. Off day.

14 Likes

Those ribs!

2 Likes