What's for Dinner #69 - The "It's Gotta Be May" Edition - May 2021

Wednesday is takeout night here, and in case you don’t make it out here to Jamrock in Vacaville , here is what I got. (I think “we” decided this was allowed. No point posting it locally, but they deserve a shout out. )

In this picture of the escovitch I used the cabbage to cover the part I inhaled before I remembered to take a picture.

Curried chicken, rice and “peas”

Jerk chicken, r and p

Fish with brown sauce, r and p

Festival

Pattie

16 Likes

Poached egg on asparagus. Potato and ramp latke muffin. Please come up with a better name for potato and ramp latke muffin than potato and ramp latke muffin.

poached egg

10 Likes

I had a wisdom tooth extracted today - dubious distinction that it was my first ever dental work.

Soft food for dinner - but one of my “sick” - and otherwise - favorites. Potato in a thin tomato gravy, with rice.

Now I’m thinking up other soft foods I like to eat… ideas welcome.

13 Likes

Love this meal @Mr_Happy.

3 Likes

I gave Spaghetti alla Nerano another shot…

Got the chubby, sweeter Tatuma Squash.

Saving the baby zucchini’s for something else.

Fried the Squash in Sunflower Oil for a shorter period this time and stored in the fridge overnight.

Reheated Squash (releasing the liquid) w/Garlic Clove, Tsp Butter, S&P. Added al dente Pasta, Pasta Water, Fresh Peas, removed Garlic, plated & topped w/Robusto & dollop of Olive Oil Marinated Labneh.

Bingo! Sooo good! :heart: I have no idea if it tastes like the original dish… we’d have to fly to Italy to find that out. But! this version is now in the permanent rotation. I’ll be bummed when summer squash goes out of season.

Stuffed a Pork Loin…

Butterflied, pounded, S&P, smeared inside w/Ground Mustard, Herbs & wrapped around Stuffing (boxed), Golden Raisins & Dried Cherries, browned all sides & roasted until 165 degrees, drizzled w/Sauce (mustard, pan drippings & cream)

Sparkling Organic Rose Sangiovese

Happy Eating… and Drinking!

18 Likes

I like your take on this dish. I can see myself trying it your way when zucchini season arrives here. Thank you for sharing!

2 Likes

chawanmushi

3 Likes

Hope that you’re feeling better soon. My main go-to when I had my wisdom teeth removed was mashed potato and buttered (petite green) peas. That and yogurt were about it. I could only do soft and bland foods.

Also I remember milkshake or two when I could get somebody to bring me one. Cold but not too cold for comfort.

3 Likes

In a similar vein to @bmorecupcake 's recommendation, I’ve also always loved a chilled tofu with a touch of soy, scallion (and maybe bonito)

2 Likes

That looks HEAVENLY!

3 Likes

I agree with @tomatotomato - super-creamy mashed potatoes is perfection. Yogurt, soups with nothing you have to chew, and soft-scrambled eggs with melty cream cheese (or your cheese of choice) in them. Applesauce is also good.

And if you go with a milkshake, since you’ve had an extraction, do NOT suck on a straw to get the milkshake through the straw - use a spoon to eat the milkshake. You can end up removing the clot in the extraction site and potentially end up with dry socket. That is BEYOND PAINFUL and you really don’t ever want to have dry socket. (I speak from experience.)

7 Likes

Ha Ha … Thank you. Very sweet compliment.

They are surely an oasis of pleasures !!

Have a lovely afternoon & evening.

Lovely salmon.

Compliments to the Chef.

1 Like

I live in Japan, so we use these special boxes to present special occasion foods, usually Japanese dishes, but here, I’ve put together French and Japanese for Mother’s Day, served with green tea.

12 Likes

A BISO chicken breast seasoned with olive oil, a bit of garlic powder, Herbs de Provence, and near the end of roasting, sprinkled with some fresh lime juice. Basted the chicken several times while roasting.

Roasted baby halved yellow and red potatoes seasoned with olive oil, salt and pepper and sweet paprika, and steamed green beans.

Wine.

15 Likes

Last night I made halibut with a marinade of coconut milk, turmeric, ginger, garlic, lime leaf and zest and fresh lemongrass. I adapted the NYT recipe for coconut fish with roasted cherry tomatoes to suit our taste and mood, kicking up the Thai flavors and upping the aromatics with lemongrass and lime leaves. Served with jasmine rice, garlic broccoli and edamame for the kids, with sautéed bok choi and roasted zucchini for hubby and me. I had doubled the marinade and used the excess as a finishing sauce, reduced and tweaked a bit. I’ll tuck this into my dinner party planning folder for future gatherings, it was really tasty.

Some days it’s not so much about the merits of a particular meal I prepare, but simply managing to get a meal on the table that’s not crappy takeout feels like an enormous feat. Today I felt like I threaded all the needles, juggled all the balls…whatever the metaphor, I’m wiped out. Working from home, juggling Zoom meetings, school pickup, rescheduled piano lesson, sports practice, baseball game, dance pick up/drop off. In an earlier version of tonight’s crazy schedule, my son was going to miss a baseball game because of a conflict. In that case, I was planning to grill burgers/corn/asparagus and make some tater tots to be ready when daughter gets home from dance, and I could be home cooking while hubby picked her up.

Due to a change in plans, the conflict resolved and son was able to play in the baseball game (yay). But that threw a huge wrench into my dinner plans. I pivoted super quickly and put together a sort of chicken cacciatore to braise in the oven while we were running around to all the activities this evening.
I browned some BLSL chicken thighs, then made the braise with diced pancetta, carrots, onions, shallots, garlic, fire roasted crushed tomatoes and a very healthy sploosh of vermouth because i didn’t have time to open a bottle of wine and it was within reach. Added in a can of cannelini beans because why not. prepped and seasoned the polenta rounds to pop into the oven the moment we got home.

I felt like I was running around crazy doing all of the dropping/picking, as my hubs got recruited to coach and catch at the baseball game due to another coach missing the game stuck in traffic returning from the city. fun times…

Despite the craziness of the day, I was so pleased to walk into the house smelling amazing and dinner ready to eat I was looking forward to a slice of coconut poundcake, made earlier today between work calls, but i’m just to wiped out to enjoy it and a big ass glass of wine sounds better right now.

23 Likes

That’s a wonderful sounding - and looking - meal.

Hope you are relaxing with that glass of wine. Very well deserved. Maybe a slice of that lovely cake after!

4 Likes

More soft food for me today. Tooth (hole?) is fine, but better safe for a few days

I made very soft khichdi for myself for dinner, so the rice broke down with the lentils. Eaten with roasted butternut squash made at lunchtime - garlic and garam masala along with olive oil. Soft but tasty.

Kids had GF Mac and cheese with crispy Brussels sprouts. Sibling also ate that, along with spicy panko-crusted chicken cutlets I had pounded and prepped for lunch yesterday but never made. Must’ve been good, Bec he ate both portions :rofl: I used the oil part from LGM chilli oil for the “spicy.”

17 Likes

I ordered, and enjoyed, from my Chef friend, tilapia almandine with a muffuletta topping, with sides of rice pilaf and collard greens.

15 Likes

Arroz con pollo otra vez.

18 Likes