What's for Dinner #69 - The "It's Gotta Be May" Edition - May 2021

Last night our dinner was based around a make at home meal kit from Eleven Madison Park, which is about to revamp as an entirely vegan restaurant. Happy that we carnivores got in under the wire to enjoy a delicious meal from EMP even if we couldn’t be there in person. I decided that the sides that came in the meal kit would be better purposed as part of a lunch with a girlfriend as they contained some ingredients to which my kids are allergic.

So we started with some garlic and herb lamb chops and mini crab cakes (ours). Followed by the EMP bone marrow crusted filet mignon, mashed Yukon golds and roasted broccoli (sides were house made). The steaks were topped with EMP’s ridiculously delicious bordelaise.

We miss dining in person in NYC, but this was a fun way to experience a semblance of EMP at home. Definitely not the same (I Miss good restaurant service and not dealing with dishes incessantly).

15 Likes

I wish I could say the weather was beautiful. I wish I could say we enjoyed cocktails outside in the garden before coming in to a nice steak dinner on this Sunday before Memorial Day, the only day of this weekend I had off. But Mother Nature had other ideas. It was cold, rainy, and nasty.

Anyway, dinner was still great. Skirt steak with cilantro sauce, which is a cross between a persillade and chimichurri-- it contains cilantro, olive oil, lemon juice, garlic, scallion, salt, and pepper. I saw Jacques Pepin make something similar on Instagram this week. Fresh, zesty, and delicious-- would have been more enjoyable on a warm night. I wish I wrote down my measurements because it would be the perfect summer steak topping. Served over Near East rice pilaf.

To drink: martini on the rocks.

17 Likes

At sister’s last night, I made seared ahi tuna, corn on the cob with TPSTOB, and artichokes with a garlicky mayo/mustard sauce my sister whipped up. Tuna marinated in soy paste & sesame oil, seared in super hot pan with a little olive oil for 1.5 minutes each side. a little TJ’s EBTB sprinkled on after. Perfect, i must say. The corn was actually really, really good, too, not too sweet, but deliciously corny. But dat feesh…

15 Likes

holy… jealous, because i haven’t found a reliably great place yet near me though I know they exist. there was a food truck near my sister - the first place i tried them, and are still the best I’ve had - but they shut down during the pandemic and haven’t been back yet. i also tried making them once but i effed up the beef (too much clove, my hand slipped!) - must try again.

2 Likes

us too, Barcelona was supposed to happen last October again. MAY happen this October, but i’m not betting on it. I can’t see going to tapas bars and enjoying the experience if you’re packed in like sardines - it’s really part of the whole scene for me, like a big party.

3 Likes

We enjoyed another fabulous dinner at Il Nido in Marlboro, NJ.
Besides the usually excellent charcuterie board, we enjoyed an awesome basil fettuccini with butter poached lobster, basil pesto, and scampi butter (split portion pictured); a brilliant idea, and excellent execution of soft shell crab cakes, and an awesome Berkshire pork chop. It all went great with some excellent wines.

11 Likes

Roasted Yellow Beet & Carrot Soup w/Ginger, Onion, Garlic, Mirin, Rice Vinegar, S&P, topped w/Miso-Butter Glazed Mushrooms, Cream, Garnish w/Sunflower Seeds, Sunflower Sprouts, Chives & Carrot Top Greens

This Epicurious recipe is versatile and can be made vegan w/no butter and cream made of cashews. It’s delicious.

Trader Joe’s Paratha Smeared w/Lemon-Garlic Ghee

Happy Sopping!

13 Likes

The poached lobster is a true Mediterranean gem !

Have a wonderful day …

1 Like

@paryzer

The Cheeseboard with Ham looks divine too !!!

And the wine selection.

In Madrid Capital to end of the week for business … Having a blast …

Have a lovely day.

2 Likes

:heart_eyes::heart_eyes:Wow

2 Likes

Thank you @Barca! The butter poached lobster was so sweet and tender. We love the charcuterie board which also includes marinated artichokes, mushrooms, broccoli rabe, and hazelnuts among other things. I love to have the leftovers in a pasta dish during the week.
Enjoy your time in Madrid!

2 Likes

Sounds amazing !

And of course the aged cheeses !

Thank you and have a lovely day.

1 Like

Next time you come to L.A. I’ll take you on a taco crawl! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

omg yes!

1 Like

Madrid Fusion 2021 … Madrid´s Convention Centre …

3 Likes

Madrid Fusion 2021 - Convention Centre. ELCELLERJOANcef7cec2-7106-4e11-a04a-332c2ce8b727_joan 600x405

1 Like

Photo 1) *** Michelin Starred Chef Ángel León - El Puerta de Santa Maria, Cadiz.
Photo 2) Sommelier Ferrán Centelles - El Bulli - Las Rosas, Girona ( for many years ).
Photo 3) ***Michelin Starred Chef Joan Roca Fontane …

1 Like

@paryzer

Have been attending the Madrid Fusion 2021 Trade Fair.

The main themes are sustainability, Covid Safety Measures and the hospitality industry, future growth in tourism and ecological (bio) product resources.

Outstanding presentations. And some beautiful products to taste too …

Thank you for visiting my posts and have a wonderful day.

2 Likes

@emglow101

Thank you for visiting …

Quite a wonderful and fascinating event …

Leaving for home (AVE High Speed Train 2 hours and a half ) on Friday afternoon. It is 6 hours by car and flying is a hassel to be quite frank … The AVE is located in the centre of the city and do not have to worry about parking and a laborous trek north !

2 Likes

Smoking St. Louis cut ribs.! Not done yet, but I’ll betoo tired to share when they are.

15 Likes