What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

Actually, I love the alliteration - Panettone Pain Perdu! Not to mention the multiculturalism! And thank you for the birthday wishes :smiley:

6 Likes

Yes, DH can be counted on for lovely gifts and dinner reservations (or take-out plans), but not a home cooked brunch, unless the menu consists of fried egg sandwiches. :rofl: Thank you for the birthday wishes!

3 Likes

Es muy Bonita carnitas mi amigo!!! (Last time I tried to speak Spanish I apparently insulted the guys wife and donkey so I apologize in advance for my poor Spanish speaking. Please apologize to Mrs Happy and the Happy Burro if necessary)

4 Likes

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy birthday biodanoima
Happy Birthday to you…

(I tried to hire you a stripper but after the pandemic 15lbs @seal needs a 2XL g-string and strippers-r-us are still closed. )

Anywho love the breakfast sausage!! What brand if you don’t mind me asking.

3 Likes

Happy Birthday! :birthday::champagne: :clinking_glasses:

2 Likes

Happiest of days to you!

2 Likes

LOL, the covid 19 (lbs) has impacted us all! The sausage is from Restaurant Depot, I believe Jones Farm brand. Comes in a 10 lb box of 2.5 oz patties. It’s one of the better commercial varieties I’ve had and the price at RD can’t be beat!

2 Likes

Angula ( Eel ) …

15 Likes

:birthday:

Happy Birthday!!

2 Likes

Love eels, don’t see them often here. Now you made me want some!! Happy Easter holiday!

2 Likes

I can’t express how sad those make me. And I’m relieved that I’m not the only one. But I’m glad that you had a nice meal out.

2 Likes

I know, I hate them too, the to go box was styrofoam as well @digga, although we do have a robust recycling program. Most places do use greener containers, this place is a throwback to an earlier era for sure. But I do hope they get on board soon.

4 Likes

Looks like a scrumptious birthday! Happy happy!

1 Like

It wasn’t an indictment about that restaurant in particular. In the stoopid pandemic era, all the restaurants/pubs we’ve eaten at in-person (outdoors) or gotten take out from have used those little plastic containers to cut down on contact. It’s been a bummer for me, personally-speaking.

2 Likes

Yes, I get you, and have noticed the same. I’ve heard also that currently we have as a country, a glut of plastic for recycling that we can’t off load to other countries. So, it seems we should precycle, and just use reusable. But, getting OT here. Fingers crossed for better practices in restaurants.

5 Likes

Happy happy!

And thanks for shepherding cuisine of the quarter!

1 Like

That’s something restaurant depot is good for on a residential level. Something you really like that will freeze well for future use.

1 Like

@naf what do you serve it with? Syrup? Jam? Something else?

My mom made it with sugar sprinkled on in the pan, which resulted in a caramelized crust, so no need for syrup - plus custardy and crunchy at the same time. I love it that way, so I never order this dish outside.

4 Likes

BF made a gigantor meatloaf, with ground beef and Italian sausage, glazed with hoisin/ketchup/Worcestershire. Really moist, loved the texture. Mashed potatoes with TPSTOB and a few sliced mushrooms, and carrots sauteed with dried basil and tarragon. I’m seeing a meatloaf sandwich in my near future…

17 Likes

Quick curry-rice for dinner tonight

We ate prawn curry a while back, and I froze the extra curry.

Made a few quick additions and adjustments to that to increase quantity, simmered to meld flavors, then added mahi mahi that had been marinated with spices.

Same curry base with mixed vegetables for the vegetarian.

Also sautéed spinach on the side for some green for the fish eaters.

When I was growing up, curry-rice would have been the whole meal, because nutrition was balanced over the day rather than in every single meal. My mom gets annoyed when I insist on ”balancing” meals like this, because, honestly, it really doesn’t “go” together. She’s the healthiest and most balanced eater I’ll ever know, so I don’t blame her either. Maybe I shoulda done a salad before. Oh well.

I finally watered some of the surviving plants today - the most snow peas I’ve had so far, and and some persian/mexican limes. Snow pea and arugula salad this weekend!

16 Likes