What's for Dinner #68 - the Spring has Sprung Edition - April 2021

Wow looks great! Tortillas look nicely grilled too. Didn’t realize it was :burrito: day, haven’t had one in awhile.

2 Likes

yeah, the Chef John burritos feature pan grilled tortillas, so that was key.

1 Like

Lazy charcuterie plate with a lovely Italian rosé for dinner. But I also prepared for my birthday tomorrow by defrosting a half panettone, slicing it and setting it to dry out a bit. Panettone French toast and sausage are on the menu for birthday brunch!

11 Likes

So professional looking!

2 Likes

We moved Friday pizza to tonight and everyone ate that.

I am jonesing for a regular Coke with pairs perfectly with pizza… I may yet give in.

The pizza was late, so I had some yogurt that I made at home - after almost a year! There was some fancy milk on sale at WF, which prompted the idea. 6% milk will get you a lovely cream top yogurt… oh yeah!

12 Likes

Mid-Passover mostly leftovers. When I made the gefilte fish last week, I thought it came out too hard, so I decided to experiment by boiling one piece and baking another, to see if I could soften it up. Both methods worked, the boiling a bit better. Slices of potato kugel with mustard, and a salad with arugula, beet, tomato, mushroom, onion and horseradish dill dressing.

File_000

File_001

14 Likes

Alrighty then! Happy April Fools Day!
We went out tonight - yay! We wanted to arrive at 5, but held off and shuffled in at 6, to a perfect time capsule dining experience…after a couple of drinks we had the prime rib special, which was tasty for sure. The coconut shrimp was the best ever, surprisingly. I may have shared the prime rib part of this meal last spring, if so please excuse me. Please note all the little plastic containers.

BTW, I read and enjoy every single post in the WFD threads.

17 Likes

thank, yeah, he’s good.

1 Like

I was inspired by the chicken thigh thread and pulled some from the freezer that I didn’t remember I had until I went searching for some ground lamb for The Sprout. Marinated with lots of garlic, lemon juice, a greek seasoning blend and olive oil. They were meant to be cooked on the grill but it was so windy the grill wouldn’t stay lit. Served over a Greekesque salad, with grilled mushrooms and potatoes. We were in a Greek grocer a while back and I bought a can of gigante beans which added some nice color.

16 Likes

Thank you Maria! I found the you tube for chef John’s breakfast burrito and love the method. Will try soon.

1 Like

Looks divine! And gigante beans prepared Greek-style are one of my favorites.

2 Likes

Thank you. I love beans and dill so this was right up my alley. I want to try and make them as this grocery was a little far to get to on a regular basis.

1 Like

SCANDINAVIAN is our new Cuisine of the Quarter - come join us! SCANDINAVIAN - Cuisine of the Quarter, Spring 2021 (Apr-June)

5 Likes

good luck! He actually didn’t do Chef John’s method. Since he was doing two, he thought it would be too difficult, so he rolled them in the usual burrito manner (whatever that is) and then browned them on all sides in a big, lightly oiled pan.

Birthday French toast was a huge success! The random bits of chocolate and fruit in the panettone were nice little surprises.

19 Likes

Happy birthday! Looks wonderful!

2 Likes

Happy birthday @biondanonima !!! Yummy dessert!

2 Likes

Aha, that yummy panettone French toast was for your birthday? Wishing you many more delicious meals!

3 Likes

I always find it strange to hear this. We called them pain perdu here, “lost bread”.

5 Likes

Same here, top chef night. Didn’t cook, we ordered pizzas.

1 Like