What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

That all looks delicious!

1 Like

Haha, aw.

1 Like

Thank you Christina.

It was quite good …

Have a lovely weekend just ahead.

1 Like

That looks pretty good, too!

2 Likes

I may do that one tonight!

2 Likes

Lablabi is a Tunisian chickpea soup, flavored with garlic, cumin and harissa. The recipe called for blending some of the soup and then mixing it with the remaining broth and whole chickpeas. I went a little overboard with the blending, I think I’d like it with more whole chickpeas. I almost skipped the squeeze of lemon but it really added a nice brightness.

12 Likes

DH made Urvashi Pitre’s bone-in short ribs, which are pressure cooked in a delectable (red) bell pepper and chipotle en adobo sauce. I made roasted potatoes (repurposed from corned beef night) and charred Brussels to accompany. Very good - I think a longer cook time would make the meat fork tender. Remaining sauce will be used for huevos rancheros.

17 Likes

Sopa seca made with Polish square noodles for dinner.

Green beans with cilantro, garlic and onions

13 Likes

Well, that looks delicious!

1 Like

So in her cookbook, which we followed, she calls for only 15 min at high pressure. On the blog she evidently (based on the comments) revised that to 45 minutes because people complained the meat was still tough. Probably 25-35 min. would be plenty depending on the size? Ours weren’t scrawny, but 3x the original cook time seems like a lot.

2 Likes

@MsBean here’s a veggie harira soup I liked :slight_smile:
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/spiced-moroccan-vegetable-soup-with-chickpeas-cilantro-and-lemon-harira

2 Likes

BF made bucatini in a sausage & shroom ragu. I ordered a bunch of stuff from Zingerman’s, one of which was Jewish rye bread, which went very well with this, despite containing ground caraway. Warmed up, with TPSTOB, of course. Salad with my gorgonzola (also from Zingerman’s) dressing.

salad with gorgonzola dressing

11 Likes

that sauce looks and sound fantastic!

1 Like

Tonight was a missing-my-momma dinner.

Her pan-roasted chicken for us and cauliflower cheese for the kids (we ate it too, but they adore it). I also made green beans amandine because the cauliflower was not going to be enough.

When the chicken got done (cooked very low and slow and covered), I removed it and added par-boiled potatoes and wedge-cut onions to the pan (with water to deglaze the chicken-y bits), then covered and cooked again, turning occasionally to brown everything a bit.

ZERO leftovers - I had cooked 1.5x normal because the chicken is SO good cold from the fridge. One kid had to eat a piece of cheese toast because the cauliflower cheese ran out. So, a successful meal. I still miss my mom, though. Maybe a bit more.

Last night we had Mexican.

Partial takeout - refried beans, quesadillas (plain cheese, crab), chicken tortilla soup.

Rest at home - roasted cauliflower (made mostly by younger kid, except for oven handling), my mom’s tomato salad, instant “enchiladas” for older kid, hard tacos for one.

Chinese day before.

Vegetables made at home - trumpet mushrooms, snow peas, and broccoli.

Leftovers from the weekend’s takeout - beef with ginger and scallion, kung pao chicken, chicken corn soup.

Supplemented by my recent dumpling delivery - pork xlb, spicy wontons, and pan-fried pork dumplings: yum yum yum yum yum!

20 Likes

Thank you. Thats look very good. I love the idea of adding an egg.

10 Likes

:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: I know this feeling.

9 Likes

Oh Linda, I can’t even imagine. :two_hearts::two_hearts::two_hearts:

1 Like

26th - Lunch.

13 Likes

I made a sort of bastardized chicken and mushroom pho with bok choy. It was pretty good, actually. It was topped with sauteed chicken thigh strips that I marinated in cornstarch, Chinese rice wine, sweet soy sauce, garlic, ginger, and pepper.

Smacked cucumbers on the side.

15 Likes