What's For Dinner #98 - the Pumpkin-Freaking-Everything! Edition - September 2023

Leftovers and green salad. Hit the spot.

19 Likes

Quick du Puy lentil stew with Swiss chard, garlic thyme plenty of mustard, lemon zest and juice, almonds and parsley cooked in the pressure cooker

15 Likes

Sopa de Fideos in a homemade tomato-onion broth – fideos toasted in sausage fat and avocado oil. Add-ins included fresh Spanish chorizo, corn, zucchini, black beans, and avocado. Homemade corn chips on the side.

20 Likes

Yum.

It was good. I’ve added fideos to my pantry staple list.

2 Likes

I used pasta squares here in a sopa seca What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021 - #592 by Phoenikia

1 Like

The rare meal that I can cook for both of us. Shrimp and morel risotto, sorrel and horseradish salad with chopped egg. The latter was surprisingly excellent, considering how it was composed of “stuff I need to use up.”

dinner 2.jpg

dinner.jpg

20 Likes

Sorry, could you refresh my feeble mind of the “TPSTOP”? Something about butter. I got the “SC”. Thank you!

2 Likes

Ramen noodles with sautéed oyster mushroom, sesame oil, scallions and basil. Served with sweet & sour cod filet (sugar cooked with rice vinegar and soy sauce)

15 Likes

Chicken and andouille sausage gumbo

20 Likes

Tonight’s dinner was a beef curry with udon noodles.

18 Likes

And the SC part for those of us who can’t remember anything?

2 Likes

One more home-cooked meal from last week—grilled swordfish (which we rarely eat due to mercury concerns); soba noodles lightly dressed with a drop each of tamari and sesame oil and topped with awesome farm corn and tomatoes; steamed farm bok choy sprinkled with a garlic chilli crisp-like locally-produced sauce . Caught B mid-meal for a photo.

IMG_4870

Also, I laughed at one of my previous photos—the way that the guys are pressed up against the booth, else they feel my wrath if they dig in too soon :laughing:.

16 Likes

I have a ton of mushrooms that need to be used up and this looks perfect for our rainy, windy weather. Did you use a particular recipe or wing it?

The Proverbial Sh*t ton Of Butter and Sour Cream

@mts

8 Likes

Thank you! Everything is better with love and butter!
EIBWL&B?

5 Likes

It was this recipe from Charlie Trotter’s Home Cooking

https://www.eatyourbooks.com/library/recipes/857888/sauteed-sweet-and-sour-cod

Mix sugar, rice vinegar, jalapeño and soy sauce and simmer 3 minutes, cool down. Once it is cool, put it on the cod filets, sautée them for 3-4 minutes per side
Cook somen noodles (we only had ramen noodles at home) drain them, mix with sesame oil, basil and scallions
Sautée oyster mushroom in butter for 6-7 minutes
Plate noodles, top with mushrooms and fish

3 Likes

Thank you!

??

Another of our regular/quarterly visits to Flour & Water https://www.flourandwater.com/ to go for their pasta tasting menu. As always some dishes remain, some change more seasonally - the new first course wasn’t terrible successful and tasted more like a stale chip. The food was good as always but the service this time was quite indifferent and chaotic, including some issues with wine pairing.

Amuse bouche - cannoli, ricotta, caviar

Pasta chip, cacio e pepe dip, herbs & flowers

Halibut crudo, rose hip, fresno chili, sumac

Corn aracini, ricotta salata, jalapeño, lime

Black truffle sformato, potato crumb, parmigiano crema

Taleggio scarpinocc, parmigiano reggiano, aceto balsamico

Seaweed rigatoni, uni butter, chili, squid ink breadcrumb

Tortellini en brodo

Acorn & iberico agnolotti, pickled garlic scapes

Basil fusi istriani, pork sugo, fava bean ragu, pecorino

Dark chocolate budino, espresso caramel cream, sea salt

16 Likes