MEXICAN - Winter 2024 (Jan-Mar) Cuisine of the Quarter

Pozple verde de pollo, toppings were avocado, red onion, radishes and cilantro. Cheese quesadilla.

6 Likes

Voting for the February 2024 COTM is happening now. Please join in here:

1 Like
2 Likes

POZOLE VERDE with shrimp and ham

I adapted this from Rick Bayless’s Authentic Mexican. His is just seafood in the cookbook. I braised a ham hock in the stew base, shredded the meat off the bone, and then added it back in with the par cooked hominy to cook for a while longer. Near the end, I added the shrimp, which only took about 5 minutes to cook. I omitted the pumpkin seeds, because I forgot! But, the ham bone added a lot of body to the stew. This is perfect for the cold (but finally sunny!) weather we’re having currently. Lots of leftovers too!

9 Likes

I bought hominy for pozole a while back when a Rick Bayless book was COTM… and still haven’t used it.

This looks delicious, and perfect for a cold night (or any night)!

1 Like

Thank you! I think the hominy I used was purchased back when pozole was dish of the month at some point. I ended up simmering it for about 3 hours before it went into the stew. I’m tempted to get my next batch from Rancho Gordo, although I’m trying to cut back on impulsive spending right now :slight_smile: But, the heirloom blue corn one is really calling my name…

2 Likes

Oh maybe that was it - DOTM :joy:

1 Like

That was one of my fave DOTMs. Hence, I have no hominy nor peppers left, and now I want posole.

2 Likes

Carnitas.

I love making this dish. It’s inexpensive, takes little effort, makes a lot, makes the house smell great, and is delicious. I dump everything in a pot with broth, bring to a simmer on the stove top, and then roast in the oven for about three hours. The broth takes another hour on the stove top to reduce before pouring over the shredded meat. I usually then just pan-fry whatever amount we need for a taco dinner that night - the rest holds up great in the freezer (packaged in meal-sized portions).

10 Likes

Just checking in back here! Dinner tonight was roasted shrimp tacos with homemade tomato and serrano salsa. I made the salsa ahead on Sunday - about half a pint of grape tomatoes and half a large white onion that needed to be used up, 2 serrano peppers from the freezer, 4 garlic cloves, 1 t. Mexican oregano, 1 t. cumin seeds, and salt to taste. Those roasted at 400F until jammy (~30 minutes). Then I cooked the shrimp in the oven in that salsa tonight and we had them with store bought corn tortillas, scallions, cilantro, and limes.

11 Likes

Looks great!

1 Like

Thank you!

Me too. Pork mole, poblano pepper, onion and garlic, on flour tortillas. Coteja cheese, avocado, radish, cilantro. Side of doctored pintos. Sangria.

7 Likes

I’m making a sopa seca tonight.

3 Likes
1 Like

Also posted on the breakfast thread: tacos de papa.

7 Likes

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/toni-sobels-spicy-fish-in-a-packet/

This came together fast - mayo and chipotle chiles (and some of the adobo sauce) are blended together. I added lime juice (directions are to apply it directly to the fish before topping with mayo and baking), as well. Bake in foil packets until done, about 13-15 minutes at 350F. I made extra mayo for drizzling. This was delicious and easy!

5 Likes

Sopa Seca! This is a Diana Kennedy recipe. I added shrimp in the last ~6 minutes of cooking and used the last of the chipotle mayo in place of the crema. Delicious!

5 Likes

Is this allowed? Just a local (Davis) take out, but one of my favorites. I rarely “eat in”, so I took a picture.

No surprises;

Tacos; crispy carne asada for my young companion, soft carnitas for me.

5 Likes

LAMB TINGA

To close out this quarter, I loosely adapted this from a recipe intended for rabbit from Hugo Ortega. I had about 4lbs of lamb shanks. I made a spice mix from dried chiles - chipotle, morita, cascabel, and arbol, along with bay leaves, peppercorns, cloves, cumin, and Mexican oregano. Meanwhile, I blistered some tomatillos, white onion, and garlic under the broiler. I added them to a can of fire roasted tomatoes and blended it up. Olive oil was added to my Dutch oven and I bloomed the spice mixture for about a minute. Then I fried the tomato blend in the spices and olive oil until it reduced and darkened. In went the lamb shanks (didn’t bother to brown them) and water to cover. A bit of salt next and into a 325F oven, covered for 3 hours. Checked for seasoning and then took it out to cool slightly and de-fat. I shredded the meat off the lamb and added it to the sauce. Everything was refrigerated overnight to meld.

Today I reheated the tinga in a 350F oven and served it with a creamy broccoli slaw, tomatoes, scallions, cilantro, flour tortillas, and lime wedges. It was great and we have at least one more meal from the leftovers. Happy Easter to those of you celebrating it today!

9 Likes