What's For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

I agree - I was thinking the same thing!

1 Like

Sheet pan supper with sweet Italian sausages, unpeeled russets, bell peppers and onions. Lightly toss in olive oil, salt & pepper. Roast at 375 for about 45 minutes, stirring once or twice. We like it with a grainy maple mustard. Leftovers make a great frittata with warm marinara.![Before|700x525, 50%](upload://rCmirCihxdO9nVDcNOwhMqgYcvi.j

peg)

14 Likes

Sheet pan supper . Sounds like a concert in the oven . Bravo .

2 Likes

Your beans look beautiful. And the mussels , plus the pasta. Those beans reminded me when I smuggled the bay leaves from a ancient tree in rome in my front pocket . Cooked up some great northern beans , those bay leaves. Carrot. And the smallest amount of ham . You could taste the history.

5 Likes

Maple Ginger Garlic Pineapple Salmon , salad with avocado and

blood orange.

12 Likes

Peruvian chicken sort of ala Samin Nosrat. Marinated 4 chicken thighs overnight in buttermilk with a shit-ton of aji amarillo paste, smoked paprika, minced red chilis, cumin, smashed garlic cloves, dried oregano, and s&p, to make sure the flavors would permeate. I didn’t just roast them, however, but pan seared them and then stuck them in the oven for 25 mins. The flavors did permeate, for sure, but no more than my regular prep for Peruvian chicken does - the only difference being the buttermilk (normally i’d use a little olive oil). So, I can’t say if this pseudo Nosrat treatment made this any better than my normal Peruvian chicken or not - it was tender, juicy, and delicious, but PC always is.

BF made yuca frita, which were a little doughy inside this time. i think maybe the yuca was a little old - my fault - i bought it. Still, really good!

a little avo/shallot salad on the side, and my aji verde, which of course went on everything. I could drink that stuff with a funnel.

Peruvian chicken ala Samin Nosrat, yuca frita, aji verde

14 Likes

I have been craving yuca! Can’t find it at the usual suspect online grocery stores. Maybe I can just order in yuca fries…

1 Like

I was not really sure what was going to happen with this rib eye. Third time using the sous vide method . 131 degrees at 2 hours and fifteen minutes . Patted them dry . Sauteed in butter in olive oil till touch . Looking at it, would seem tough . The fat in the meat melted in your mouth like valhrona chocolate. The beef part was as soft as new bedding from bed bath and beyond. Loved it . Cheers .

served with a baked potato and the beets from the other night

19 Likes

Glad this is going well for you!

I remember my favorite application was taking a bag of TJ’s marinated frozen korean short ribs and sticking them in for an overnight sv cook - the gristle was soft and completely edible - I was shocked!

3 Likes

Crab

19 Likes

Oh COME ON! :heart_eyes:

I’m still trying to figure out how to get this delivered home…

2 Likes

Couldn’t think of what to eat.

I had started some bread / pizza dough last night, refrigerated this morning. So I thought - maybe potato pizza? I took the dough out to come to room temp. Some helpful soul put it back in the fridge. I decided to press ahead anyway, because - starving and no other ideas.

Thought I’d try SE’s broiler-skillet method using the air fryer oven that runs very hot. But instead of preheating the skillet, I started cold - rolled and stretched the crust out (still cold), transferred to the skillet, topped with the potatoes, and let it sit at room temp for 10 mins. Then under the broiler, followed by a short high-heat bake, and finished the crust on the stovetop. Sounds lengthy but was actually quite fast - especially as no preheating anything!

The crust was the crispest I’ve achieved - finishing on the stove is definitely a useful trick.

I think I would have had more spring if the dough had been allowed to warm up as intended.

But - so tasty! Carb-on-carb action is always effective!

20 Likes

Gorgeous pizza.

2 Likes

It looks like it. :drooling_face:

2 Likes

Hung out with a couple friends last night and we got pizza and calzones from a nearby pizzeria. They were delicious. Did not get pictures.

However, earlier in the day I was bored on my day off. We had a bunch of zucchini in the fridge and I made my mom this vegetarian pasta dish (no meat on Fridays during Lent for her) so she could have it for dinner that night. Spaghetti, zucchini, garlic, shallot, olive oil, crushed red pepper, and Pecorino Romano.

17 Likes

LOVE the visual in the mind’s eye with your description!

3 Likes

Hi @Mr_Happy -

Your rice & scallion oil reminded me I had some more meals to post this month (crazy month). Yummy looking plate of food, btw. Would love a little info on those thighs.

Anyhoo…

Bok Choy Salad w/Sesame Dressing

”Kobe-style American Boneless Ribeye” w/Sautéed Shroom Medley & Scallion Ginger Oil

I don’t really care how they’re labeling it, this steak was buttery, beefy goodness! :heart::blush::heart:

Mori’s Short Grain Rice & Scallion Ginger Oil

I made the oil with the first batch of scallions from my Hamama countertop grow kit. But! the fine salt I used made it way too salty :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: so I ended up dousing it with a lot more hot oil which scalded the scallions too much, I think. Plus the extra oil diminished the flavors a bit, but it’s easy to make & remedy, so.

Be Happy Black Sesame/Matcha Strawberry Ice Creams

Next up was…

Salmon Moqueca (Brazilian Fish Stew) w/Coconut Milk, Tomato Sauce, Bell Peppers, White Onion, Garlic, Spices, Cilantro & popped in a few Campari Tomatoes

It’s typically more broth-y, but I seared the salmon a bit and just placed it on thick sauce to finish cooking. It was yummy. Also, recipe calls for a terracotta casserole, but I don’t have one, or a cast iron skillet and I ain’t wrecking the “seasoning” by putting tomato sauce in mine. :wink:

Trader Joe’s Paratha w/Ahara Lemon-Garlic Ghee

A great vehicle for for sopping. :blush:

I am lovin’ this stuff. :heart:

Happy Eating!

16 Likes

Everything looks delicious!

I had to stay away from those TJ parathas when they introduced them… so good, but not good for me.

One of the first versions I tried had a bit of sugar and rice vinegar to balance out the flavors, so I tend to tweak with those.

1 Like

Thanks @Saregama! A friend turned me onto the TJ’s parathas. Addicting! Another friend complains that they’re not real paratha… it’s TJ’s dude! :roll_eyes:

I’m clueless on TPSTOSC.