What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

Oh good leftover idea.

2 Likes

I have some lamb ribs in the freezer. Been a while since I last made them but they were really fatty. Maybe it’s why they are still in the freezer

1 Like

Oh, I never thought to cook a roux in the oven! That’s an interesting idea. What temperature did you use, and how long did you bake it for? I wonder if a lower and slower time would give you the deeper color you are looking for?

My favorite line! I’m so glad it tasted wonderful!

2 Likes

Try this recipe for the lamb ribs:

1 Like
2 Likes

Will do

The Alton Brown TV episode is better. There is stirring involved.

This on is good too.

3 Likes

I typically make stove top roux’s, but can attest to the goodness and ease of stove top ones also. Haven’t used AB’s however.

1 Like

Looks yummy and easier than standing there stirring for so long!

1 Like

Meant to say upthread can attest to the goodness and ease of OVEN ROUXS too. Brain/hand malfunction - oops! :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

5 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #66 - the Candle Lights in Chilly Nights Edition - February 2021

A couple of dinners from the tail end of January. Beef Stroganoff (beef tenderloin) and Green Bean and Pork Stir Fry (pork tenderloin) Both were really good. :yum:

10 Likes

@ChristinaM I was looking for salmon recipes and see “carmelized salmon” mentioned on HO a few times, by you and I think @TheCookie ; maybe others.

I found the instant pot recipe on NYT, and I wondered, along with several commentors, about what the Instant Pot adds. Do you use an Instant Pot for this? Do you think it would it work for one inch thick skinless filets if I wanted medium rare/translucent salmon?

My answer might be here. I see it is "less aromatic "!

This recipe you linked in that extremely helpful response seems the same as the one in NYT, and no paywall!

This is what I’m working with.

2 Likes

Nah. They’d get super overcooked. Pan is the way to go.

ETA: they look more like 2-3"? Here’s what I’d do - follow the IP recipe, but when the 1 min countdown actually starts (it takes some time to come up to pressure), immediately quick release pressure. So, in essence, don’t pressure cook it - remove just when it starts. If they’re underdone you can always “saute” until desired temp.

2 Likes

Oops

2 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #86 - the Apples, & Cider, & DONUTS, Oh MY! Edition - October 2022

Nice. I’d like to try it on pressed tofu, too.

Thanks again! Hopefully you are sharing tonight’s meal on the current WFD. I’ve got kabocha squash AND cooked chicpeas to use.

1 Like