What's For Dinner #65 - the Brand New New Year's Edition - January 2021

Burrito for lunch means free tortilla chips which led to chilaquiles for dinner. Made with jarred salsa. Freezer beans and scrambled eggs on the side.

15 Likes

We did take-out last night from a local kinda yuppie mini-chain Mex place that we normally don’t go to, but their Family Dinner rotisserie chicken and sides looked good, and I get to review it, and it was good! Lots of leftovers. Tonight, BF made tacos out of some of the them. Inspired by @gcaggiano’s BF, I made guac for us last night, oniony, chunky, and salty. Yum. BF made more tonight, his was a little smoother, still yum.

21 Likes

oh i love this! one of my favorites at the sushi bar.

1 Like

@TheCookie

Truly extraordinary …

1 Like

Hah! While looking at your photos I was thinking ”These could be in a magazine”.

1 Like

They were published for a catalogue by my Dear. He has authored 45 books and is an author and professional photographer.

We did the plating …

5 Likes

Love the photos, nice composition.

I wanted to buy this pot a while ago, but it’s useless for me in ceramics… installation of gas is forbidden, we are using induction to cook. First time I saw a black version, always white.

4 Likes

February is here!

3 Likes

Thank you very much …

Yes, the wild salmon was simply exquisite steamed.

1 Like

Beautiful! That helps explain your discerning eyes.

3 Likes

Pretty colors & bowl @ChristinaM!

Ignore the subtitles… unless you don’t speak English. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I’ve made this… it was delish! But! my gravy sure didn’t look like that. :yum:

1 Like

I like how you saved those chips and then put them to use! Other people may have tossed them after they’d had their fill. I also find myself repurposing things whenever I can. I don’t think I grew up this way, but it’s been a progression over the past decade. For instance, each fall, we typically upick apples, and a couple of months later, lots of them are starting to get squishy. Therefore juice. But that’s not the repurposing part. The repurposing is when I realized I didn’t have enough squishy apples left to get too much juice out, so I threw those into a freezer bag and then starting putting in peels and cores from other, newer apples, as we bake or slice them up at home. At some point, I’ll have a freezer bag full of some apples, some apple odds and ends. My husband says I must have lived through the great depression in another life. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The last January weekend we had Indian takeout because people were over (outside, distanced - the only way we do it, but it’s been more than a month since the last).

I reentered the eating world with tandoori chicken and a samosa, plus lots of naan - this divey place makes the only legit naan around.

The next night I used some leftover naan for pizza, which I’ve been craving. A bit with (Rao’s)sauce and a bit white, sour cream, manchego, and parmesan - plus truffle salt after. Hit the spot.

13 Likes

A post was merged into an existing topic: What’s For Dinner #66 - the Candlemas Edition - February 2021

Thank you! That’s funny you mention the bowl because we just broke two and have only four left. I was debating buying more versus investing in dishes I like better (these are Ikea).

2 Likes

That’s a tough one. :slightly_smiling_face: Keep the four and buy the set you like, I guess. I really like that bowl! Lol.

3 Likes

LOL! For a long time, I have been wondering if we have the same bowls. Owned them for nearly 10 years. Actually I like them for daily usage, due to practical shape and size for my dishwasher. I like the form too and they are durable, unlike some of my better looking hand made dinner wares, with cracked glaze or non removable scratches.

3 Likes

Yes, I noticed, too :laughing: