What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

But it sure is easy, and the result is not bad at all.

!!!Big Man Meal Alert!!!

So last weekend we had a much anticipated dinner with some friends at a fairly new Italian Steakhouse in the area that I truly like. I had never tried their veal chop parm, one of their signature dishes so that was the night!! Long story short that’s what my buddy ordered and I’ve got a thing about being “the guy who copies orders” so there went my veal chop and I ordered something else.

While my meal was great, the veal chop looked phenomenal and I had veal chop envy all night. :pensive:

I was planning on making a pot of gravy since it’s becoming that season again, so it became my veal chop redemption night!!!

Pot of gravy with meat, veal chop for me, chicken parm for the ladies. I couldn’t finish it all so tonight’s Man vs Food edition the food one!!! (My new favorite wine started with meal prep)

16 Likes

I know what you mean about your weight dropping. I think you’ve probably been worrying much about your father and stress can do a number on your appetite. Then add in worries about the pandemic, politics, your job security, watching people in food lines, and all the sadness in this country, and sometimes it just gets to you and your appetite completely disappears. But I can guarantee you one thing, your appetite will return big time and you’ll get to enjoy more foods like that yummy dish you made.

3 Likes

Baked mac & ham & cheese with a small salad alongside (not pictured).

Wine…a nice Valoroso chardonnay from Portugal.

18 Likes

You have kind of a Roy Yamaguchi vibe going on with that meal @emglow101 - it looks great!

1 Like

It all looks really good @ChristinaM. In fact for not being a lover of fresh kale, your salads look so delicious, I’m sure I could eat every bite and love it even!

1 Like

Looks fab - envious of your entire meal @NotJrvedivici.

1 Like

A bit of an expansive meal tonight, a bit unintentionally, and fortunately mostly takeout.

Margherita pizza for everyone to start, kids had cacio e pepe (the restaurant calls it butter parmesan but it’s basically an incredibly well-made c-p), charred Brussels sprouts for everyone, sides of very rich polenta with mascarpone for a couple of us. Then the homemade part, driven by delivery of some proteins - sous vide butter-garlic lobster tails. And some pasta with Rao’s.

Quite a feast, but nice for a gloomy, foggy Saturday in.

18 Likes

H’s dinner tonight, no salad, or veg. Told him he needed some color with his meal, so he opened a bottle of wine. :+1:t3:

18 Likes

I like the mac and cheese. What’s the oven wear its baked in ?

1 Like

Bravo! Bravo!

1 Like

We enjoyed an excellent dinner indoors at Drew’s in Keyport, NJ.
Details and pictures in the link below.

3 Likes

Major caper lover here…

2 Likes

Sechuzan Lunch at Restaurant Sichuan … Sunday Lunch out … Lovely wine from Rioja Alta and Squid was divine. The meat dish was for my Dear. We also had some bokchoi sautéed which was lovely and some dim sim of varying types.
Have a lovely Sunday.

11 Likes

Dinner last night at seester’s was sous vide swordfeesh and potatoes, both in butter, garlic and fresh thyme, and sauteed spinach. Swordfish turned out lovely! First time cooking it. Potatoes took forever and they were great, but no better than just boiling or steaming and drowning in butter, so never doing that again.

16 Likes

Nice! What was the meat dish?

Great idea, and ooks great! What temp did you do the swordfish? You did the potatoes at the same temp?

1 Like

fish was at 130 and potatoes were at 190. i did the potatoes first - they took over an hour to cook. i took them out at an hour and put them in their bag in a separate pot of boiling water for 15 mins., and STILL had to nuke them at the end to finish cooking. The fish took 30 minutes plus a minute sear on each side.

4 Likes

Thank you. Swordfish seems so expensive, and I am SO disappointed when it’s not right. I haven’t tried in awhile, but I think I will try this.

1 Like

We normally see swordfish selling over $20/lb. Saw it at Sprouts in San Rafael for under $10 a week ago. Good looking steaks. Will have to bring a cooler and try some soon.

3 Likes