What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

It’s the night of the Harvest Moon tonight (October 1st).

Leaves are changing color or falling off the trees, cranberry bogs are being flooded for harvesting those tart berries, people are picking apples (socially distanced, of course), and scarfing down one of Autumn’s best ever treats: apple :apple: cider donuts :doughnut:!!!

So have you changed over to fall comfort foods where you are?

3 Likes

As for me, half a BISO Frankenchicken breast, seasoned with olive oil, s/p, garlic powder and Herbs de Provence and roasted in the oven.

Lefover basmati rice, and steamed green beans.

Wine. It’s required.

17 Likes

Indeed! the :angel: @ChristinaM

More smoked char siu pork.

19 Likes

How is it already October?! We have had mostly warm weather up to this point so no cold-weather comfort cooking yet, but it is coming. This weekend is supposed to be gorgeously crisp, in fact…might be time for a beef stew or some sausage and lentils.

3 Likes

Hot and smoky here. No fuss refreshing plate of hot spaghetti with cold raw tomato sauce.

16 Likes

BLTs with a big fat heirloom and romaine i got from the FM today. TJs sliced very squishy brioche. BF got extra bacon and TJ’s mayo, I got extra tomato and my lemon aioli. Esquites made with mostly sour cream and a little yogurt instead of mayo.

16 Likes

October? Sigh. Will I ever go home…

Indian for a second time tonight, to incorporate some kali dal the neighbors dropped off. The irony. Is, no one ate that dal.

I made two batches of chicken curry, one for us to eat, one to give away to two sets of friends of the family.

Luckily also made red masoor dal in a big batch to give and to freeze, and that’s the dal we ate. Rest was leftovers - spinach, cauliflower, paneer matar, kale stems. Frozen chapatis and fresh rice.

Most of the food now given away, some fed to the freezer for another day.

18 Likes

And later…the latest shipment of oysters! Grassy Bar from Giovanni’s.

And the cabbage sous vide in buttermilk, then griddled. Tasted good but not so photogenic. Kinda looks like the oysters.

18 Likes

For tommorow.

4 Likes

I cooked for my kiddo’s former pre-school admin, whose infant child is battling a (highly treatable) leukemia. They are vegetarian, so I made veggie chili (loosely based on this), creamy shells and cheese, arugula salad with grape tomatoes and @LindaWhit’s maple balsamic dressing, and buttermilk apple cobbler. Only got one photo - the chili before it finished cooking:

I was tired of work and cooking/cleaning, so we went out for pizza, salads, and olives.

21 Likes

Indeed! the :angel: @ChristinaM

More smoked char siu pork.

14 Likes

BLTs with a big fat heirloom and romaine i got from the FM today. TJs sliced very squishy brioche. BF got extra bacon and TJ’s mayo, I got extra tomato and my lemon aioli. Esquites made with mostly sour cream and a little yogurt instead of mayo.

13 Likes

Bonelesss skinless chk thighs off the smoker.

11 Likes

Oysters on the half shell are always a lovely appetiser …

3 Likes

Stay safe, @pilgrim.

3 Likes

Lazy mans peppers, potatoes, onion and eggs on rye.

10 Likes

That looks so good!:heart_eyes:

Thank you! And I found some rice noodles to make those rolls!

1 Like

It’s Friday, Friday, FRIDAY!

And you know what that means, boys and girls.

It’s steak tip night, with my fave Ballymaloe steak sauce, half a big-ass baked tater with TPSTOB and the requisite sour cream, and sauteed carrots, sugar snap peas, onions and red bell peppers with Penzeys’ Tuscan Sunset and some freshly cracked pepper.

Oh, there was definitely wine. Because it’s Friday, Friday, FRIDAY! Not that I’ve needed an excuse before.

20 Likes

Long work day after an even longer week, so went lazy for dinner. French onion soup omelet (filled with caramelized onions and swiss cheese), side of bacon. Now enjoying a gin rickey with a sweet kitten on my lap. TGIF!

9 Likes