What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

Looks delicious! What is the CI prep? I can’t see it without logging in :frowning:

@mariacarmen You ARE amazing, and @Saregama, you too, and thank you! Essentially a reverse sear; lowish in the oven to 160 then a quick sear in a really hot pan.

1 Like

WOW! That tortilla is fantastic. That is one dish I have never been able to master. Mine always come out leaded. What is your technique?

1 Like

Pastrami on rye with a dill pickle for veg. Everything local except the mustard. Delicious!

17 Likes

Try this one:
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2013/06/salt-and-vinegar-spanish-tortilla-recipe.html

1 Like

that is so nice of you to say, thank you! I think i’m decent, but i am fortunate in that I do like my own food.

3 Likes

it’s a cheater technique - i now have a double-sided pan with handles that latch together for the flipping part. but for years i used to flip it with a plate over the pan. it does take a lot of practice, and I’ve had my share of disasters. are you looking for a recipe too, or just technique? I just typed it up for a friend on FB if you want it…

1 Like

that’s not about the technique, however, just about using chips instead of potatoes… i’ve made it with chips before, it’s good! but i prefer the original.

eta, never mind, i see i misread Ms. Bean’s original question.

Dinner Friday. ( Posted the dough stages on Thursday 15 / 10 / 2020 ) … HERE IS MY FINISHED FOCACCIA PIZZA …

15 Likes

@mariacarmen

Great tortilla española …

2 Likes

sorry, i’m misreading. the trick is using more eggs than you think!

here - here’s what i wrote for my friend.

"for two people, I used two big fat white potatoes, 8 eggs, and about half an onion. slice potatoes and lightly salt. dice onion, saute in a good amount of olive oil - like, a quarter cup. lightly salt. don’t let them brown, just cook until soft. remove onions, strain oil back into pan. add sliced potatoes. cook until tender. in the meantime, beat eggs, add about a tsp. salt. add onions to eggs after they’ve cooled a bit. drain pan with onions of most of olive oil, but not all. add egg/onion mixture to potatoes in pan. cook like an omelet, letting the wet middle spill over the sides to the bottom.continually move pan so tortilla slides around. when it’s golden brown on the bottom, take a plate and cover the pan (careful, hot) and flip the tortilla onto the plate. then carefully slide the tortilla (uncooked side) back into the pan. continue cooking until golden brown on that side too. some people like it runny, i like it sort of medium, so it’s still a little juicy.

and i cheat - i have a two sided pan!"

This is the “recipe” more or less i’ve been following for about 25 years, but I’ve upped the egg and oil quantities.

5 Likes

gracias!

Went Raw. Fix & Fogg Everything pb, cukes, celery, carrots, watermelon radish, mandarin orange. Glass of iced chai.

…and a tray of roasted delicata squash for tomorrows dinner.

11 Likes

Fish and scallop pie topped with gruyere mash, and Brussels sprouts.

20201016_192200

12 Likes

Pan-roasted swordfish with capers, lemon juice and leftover anchovy parsley lemon zest chili flake compound butter and a baked tomato. There was meant to be braised FM kale as well but I made it earlier today and left it, thinking I had turned the burner off. Returned to incinerated kale. So I have a carbonized pan to scrub and less leftover swordfish than I expected. It happens. :woman_shrugging:t2:

18 Likes

Locally-smoked kielbasa, rice and beans, braised Italian runner beans, and cucumbers in vinaigrette.

13 Likes

Almost no-cook day for me, aside from salads (mostly from the garden) and my baguette experiment.

Dinner started with kale and tomato salad with smoky candied pistachios (my second of the day so I varied the dressing and the cheese), main course was vegetable lasagne (with some meat sauce from the freezer added for the super carnivore), and a tasting of freshly-baked baguette.

This quick lasagna would probably make someone of italian heritage react the way I sometimes do when I’m reading about indian-ish cooking :rofl: In its quickest form, all the chopped veggies are microwaved to soften, then mixed with Rao’s marinara or arrabiata and ricotta, layered into the noodles, and topped with more Rao’s and lots of mozzarella. That said, you know I go whole-hog and make Marcella’s lasagne from scratch too - each in its place :joy: (And I didn’t cook this, added bonus for me!)

13 Likes

Maangchi’s galbi again because i love them so! Added thai bird chilies to the marinade. Grilled on this stove-top grill pan that we never use (and probably won’t again - the smoke almost drove us out of the apt., and the clean-up - ugh!) But they turned out great. Served on a big salad of frisee, red leaf, scallions and radishes, in a light rice vinegar/mirin dressing. Ssamjang with extra gochujang, and jasmine rice on the side.

14 Likes

Looked in the fridge. I have leftover pinto beans and grilled pork loin . I’ll smash some beans to oblivion. Combine those with some grilled pork loin . Add those into the clams with tomato, peas , and garlic . Cheers.

14 Likes

We had TJ’s tart d’Alsace and a yummy homegrown kale salad with pumpkin-seed vinaigrette, dried cranberries, crispy fried red onions, pecans, and chopped dates. Then Aldi Apfelstrudel mit Schlag.

14 Likes