What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

Rigatoni with chicken in a vodka sauce with a side of garlic bread.

19 Likes

A favorite oldie but goodie: Cecily Brownstone’s broiled chicken, broccoli (a bit past its prime but still tasty) and rice. I’ve been getting chicken at the farmers market since July and it tastes like chicken used to taste but the FM is done at the end of the month. :frowning:

16 Likes

Last night I made garlic chicken with oyster mushrooms and sauteed snow pea shoots (a huge bag) over jasmine rice.

Tonight was the last of the spaghetti and meatballs, easy eggplant parm, and kale salad with currants and dried cranberries.

21 Likes

Tonight the kids requested spaghetti. The end result involved a garlic/oil kinda sauce with some shredded chicken, chicken sausage, chickpeas and green olives. sprinkled with pecorino. It was pretty tasty.

16 Likes

Love snow pea leaves :heart_eyes:

1 Like

Our weekly Indian dinner tonight, mostly by me.

I finally realized why I’m so d@mn tired from this meal every week - “somehow” the menu has expanded to FOUR vegetable dishes plus 2 dals (kid & adult) plus a meat or fish plus GF chapatis and regular chapatis. This would be UNHEARD OF at my mothers table - or anyone else’s table. Utterly idiotic (and no, I don’t set the menu - you’d think I would if I was cooking most of it.)

Imma fix this next week.

Tonight - saag paneer and paneer makhani (each kid wont eat the other thing), 2 dals, cauliflower (not by me), okra, lamb korma, various chapatis, rice.

18 Likes

Yum. Vodka sauce recipe please?

I’m not a big “recipe” guy, so the best I can do is offer you ingredients without measurements.
Start:
Olive oil heated
Finely chopped shallots and fresh garlic (soften)
(I always start with some seasoning with the garlic and oil, so salt - pepper - garlic powder- onion powder)
Add freshly cut tomatoes (I like Roma)
Sauté till tomatoes just start to soften
Add vodka and flambé (show time)
(Wait for vodka to burn off)
Add cream
Add /mix tomato paste (stirring till blended)
Taste - re-season accordingly
Add parsley & grated cheese
Serve!

ETA: by the time the alcohol in the vodka burns off the tomatoes should be completely melted into the start of a sauce, if not, then keep them simmering until they do melt away.

8 Likes

And here’s my favorite recipe: https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a26556220/penne-alla-vodka-recipe/

Diet food, it’s not.

2 Likes

But I made mine with chicken, so that makes it good for you !!!

3 Likes

That was from the extra skin they leave on thighs these days that’s tucked under so you don’t see it in the package

Looked GOOD

1 Like

Prepped dinner and baked cookies, but after a full day of childcare and work, decided we would go out. It was a good call. We’ll have the food tomorrow.

3 Likes

WFD: leftover canned pumpkin went into a chickpea stew inspired by a Diana Henry pumpkin and borlotti bean recipe (which I will add), sesame naan, leftover Filipino picadillo, salad.

15 Likes

Simpler tonight, but I need to really simplify my “simple.”

Swordfish and hoki, just s&p and a cast iron pan, salsa verde (attempt at Lillia version that I saw her make on a tv show), Greek lemon / melting potatoes.

Actually simple would have been no salsa verde and simple roasted potatoes.

Turns out sometimes imma the idiot (referencing last night).

Anyway, the fish was lovely.

Roasted broccoli was the common veg; kids had mac and cheese, veg adult had butternut squash soup.

I think IF has shrunk my appetite again… I realized I ate only dinner yesterday (aside from tea and coffee). And wasn’t hungry again till dinnertime today.

17 Likes

I love simply delicious . The best .

1 Like

I’m supposed to be boarding a plane to Barcelona right now, but I’m not. So, a little Spain en casa: tortilla de patata as the starter, and a paella-ish dish: chicken with smoked & hot paprika, onions & garlic, fresh thyme, sliced Spanish chorizo, castelvetrano olives, fresh peas, roasted red peppers, canned San Marzanos, more smoked paprika, and a pinch of saffron. All sauteed together, then added chicken broth and rice. The rice was the star! And the tortilla came out nice & puffy. My aioli on top.

And salad (which is not all that easy to find in Barcelona!) FM red leaf lettuce, frisee, purple radishes, and endive & shallots, in a sherry/shallot/walnut oil/smoked paprika vinaigrette.

I know Spain is reeling again from the effects of the pandemic, but I’m still sad not to be there.

sigh. Un vermut tonight.

19 Likes

I’ve been craving Spanish food. Living vicariously through your delicious pictures until I make some.

2 Likes

Roasted skin on bone in chicken breast with Aji Amarillo sauce, store bought potato salad, and purple cabbage slaw. .

I did a CI prep.

18 Likes

Your a marvelous cook .

4 Likes