What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

gracias!

Went Raw. Fix & Fogg Everything pb, cukes, celery, carrots, watermelon radish, mandarin orange. Glass of iced chai.

…and a tray of roasted delicata squash for tomorrows dinner.

11 Likes

Fish and scallop pie topped with gruyere mash, and Brussels sprouts.

20201016_192200

12 Likes

Pan-roasted swordfish with capers, lemon juice and leftover anchovy parsley lemon zest chili flake compound butter and a baked tomato. There was meant to be braised FM kale as well but I made it earlier today and left it, thinking I had turned the burner off. Returned to incinerated kale. So I have a carbonized pan to scrub and less leftover swordfish than I expected. It happens. :woman_shrugging:t2:

18 Likes

Locally-smoked kielbasa, rice and beans, braised Italian runner beans, and cucumbers in vinaigrette.

13 Likes

Almost no-cook day for me, aside from salads (mostly from the garden) and my baguette experiment.

Dinner started with kale and tomato salad with smoky candied pistachios (my second of the day so I varied the dressing and the cheese), main course was vegetable lasagne (with some meat sauce from the freezer added for the super carnivore), and a tasting of freshly-baked baguette.

This quick lasagna would probably make someone of italian heritage react the way I sometimes do when I’m reading about indian-ish cooking :rofl: In its quickest form, all the chopped veggies are microwaved to soften, then mixed with Rao’s marinara or arrabiata and ricotta, layered into the noodles, and topped with more Rao’s and lots of mozzarella. That said, you know I go whole-hog and make Marcella’s lasagne from scratch too - each in its place :joy: (And I didn’t cook this, added bonus for me!)

13 Likes

Maangchi’s galbi again because i love them so! Added thai bird chilies to the marinade. Grilled on this stove-top grill pan that we never use (and probably won’t again - the smoke almost drove us out of the apt., and the clean-up - ugh!) But they turned out great. Served on a big salad of frisee, red leaf, scallions and radishes, in a light rice vinegar/mirin dressing. Ssamjang with extra gochujang, and jasmine rice on the side.

14 Likes

Looked in the fridge. I have leftover pinto beans and grilled pork loin . I’ll smash some beans to oblivion. Combine those with some grilled pork loin . Add those into the clams with tomato, peas , and garlic . Cheers.

14 Likes

We had TJ’s tart d’Alsace and a yummy homegrown kale salad with pumpkin-seed vinaigrette, dried cranberries, crispy fried red onions, pecans, and chopped dates. Then Aldi Apfelstrudel mit Schlag.

14 Likes

But it sure is easy, and the result is not bad at all.

!!!Big Man Meal Alert!!!

So last weekend we had a much anticipated dinner with some friends at a fairly new Italian Steakhouse in the area that I truly like. I had never tried their veal chop parm, one of their signature dishes so that was the night!! Long story short that’s what my buddy ordered and I’ve got a thing about being “the guy who copies orders” so there went my veal chop and I ordered something else.

While my meal was great, the veal chop looked phenomenal and I had veal chop envy all night. :pensive:

I was planning on making a pot of gravy since it’s becoming that season again, so it became my veal chop redemption night!!!

Pot of gravy with meat, veal chop for me, chicken parm for the ladies. I couldn’t finish it all so tonight’s Man vs Food edition the food one!!! (My new favorite wine started with meal prep)

16 Likes

I know what you mean about your weight dropping. I think you’ve probably been worrying much about your father and stress can do a number on your appetite. Then add in worries about the pandemic, politics, your job security, watching people in food lines, and all the sadness in this country, and sometimes it just gets to you and your appetite completely disappears. But I can guarantee you one thing, your appetite will return big time and you’ll get to enjoy more foods like that yummy dish you made.

3 Likes

Baked mac & ham & cheese with a small salad alongside (not pictured).

Wine…a nice Valoroso chardonnay from Portugal.

18 Likes

You have kind of a Roy Yamaguchi vibe going on with that meal @emglow101 - it looks great!

1 Like

It all looks really good @ChristinaM. In fact for not being a lover of fresh kale, your salads look so delicious, I’m sure I could eat every bite and love it even!

1 Like

Looks fab - envious of your entire meal @NotJrvedivici.

1 Like

A bit of an expansive meal tonight, a bit unintentionally, and fortunately mostly takeout.

Margherita pizza for everyone to start, kids had cacio e pepe (the restaurant calls it butter parmesan but it’s basically an incredibly well-made c-p), charred Brussels sprouts for everyone, sides of very rich polenta with mascarpone for a couple of us. Then the homemade part, driven by delivery of some proteins - sous vide butter-garlic lobster tails. And some pasta with Rao’s.

Quite a feast, but nice for a gloomy, foggy Saturday in.

18 Likes

H’s dinner tonight, no salad, or veg. Told him he needed some color with his meal, so he opened a bottle of wine. :+1:t3:

18 Likes

I like the mac and cheese. What’s the oven wear its baked in ?

1 Like

Bravo! Bravo!

1 Like