What's For Dinner #62 - the Spookalicious Edition - October 2020

Beautiful

1 Like

Dinner at South in Sacramento. Catfish, red beans and rice.

15 Likes

Exhausted this week for some inexplicable weekend.

Topped it off with a quick trip to the beach before dinner - very hot sun plus cold water will provide good sleep tonight.

Delivery pizza to the rescue, plus a kale salad using up the greens I harvested and prepped earlier in the week. Glazed shallot dressing with some of the orange shrub from many months ago. Candied smoky pepitas and parmesan to finish. Oh and my favorite tomatoes from the garden. So delicious, I have to remember this so I can repeat it.

Also baked bread earlier - for the weekend, but there’s only a quarter of the boule left at this point, so… maybe another bake tomorrow.

17 Likes

Hadn’t used my sous vide machine in 2 years! Marinated TJs frenched pork chops in buttermilk, garlic, spices since yesterday morning. Rub was bourbon sugar/bourbon smoked paprika, granulated garlic, s&p. Amazingly tender and juicy, perfect medium rare. I had leftover esquites so I added that to the rice while it cooked, with more cilantro, smashed garlic, and TJS’ fresh English peas. Arugula, fig & goat cheese salad with a raspberry/walnut oil/shallot vinaigrette and toasted pecans. I’ve gotta say, i really loved this meal.

We shared one of the pork chops so the BF has leftovers.

16 Likes

Well done! Actually, medium, just like I like it.

2 Likes

Last night of our little vacation. Leave it to an Irish pub to cook up one of the best curries I’ve had in a long time. Our best meal of the trip was at Annie Bailey’s in Lancaster City, PA. Probably the best pub I’ve been to. We shared the spinach-artichoke dip and curry fries. I couldn’t decide which I liked more. Justin had bangers and mash, and I had the curry shrimp which I asked for extra spicy and they listened! For drinks I had a Scotch Manhattan (a “Rob Roy”) and he had a beer before trying a frozen pumpkin spice latte (with vanilla vodka).

20 Likes

maybe the pic doesn’t really show the true color. they were medium rare for sure. i was actually surprised the BF didn’t ask me to cook his a little longer, as he likes his medium.

2 Likes

that looks fabulous! i have a friend who lives there, i wonder if he’s ever been…?

My bad. I was trying to be funny.

2 Likes

It’s one of our regulars in Sacto, which apparently has dining in! We were the only ones there for most of our meal.

1 Like

Warm smoky day in San Francisco today. Dinner was soba noodles with dipping sauce, miso soup, frozen tempura from Whole Foods, and a simple salad. And a glass of sauvignon blanc.

18 Likes

Real nice . I’m into these pork tenderloins now . Never cooked one in my life before . From a local farm . They are fantastic. I found they are very versatile. Cooked medium rare on the grill or stovetop they are super tasty. I’m preferring them over beef . For under six bucks . A great value . And there is leftovers to heat up the the next night.

3 Likes

thank you!

I used to cook tenderloins all the time but i now find them rather bland. 99% of the time, i’ll take pork shoulder over a chop or a tenderloin because i just find those cuts too lean. but these were thick enough and the long marinade made them tender. you’re lucky to have a local farm to get them from!

2 Likes

it was super gross out here today! i went outside to go for my lunchtime walk and turned right around and went back in. bleaaagh. that soba sounds so refreshing!

2 Likes

no worries! everyone likes it different!

My thoughts were the same . As much or more flavor than the shoulder chop . For years I found them to be bland like cardboard. It’s my new pork Connection. Locally grown and fabulous from a far out place in northern California . A freind of mine works at Belcampo north of here. I had the best pork rib chop from there .

2 Likes

I know this is beating a dead horse, but I like my pork pretty pink. And when I’m not doing it sous vide, I’m doing it reverse seared, so I can have it pink, while husband has it well done.

5 Likes

Oven baked breaded Pork Cutlets for dinner. Might have been the tastiest pork we’ve eaten this year.

16 Likes

Burgers and fries. Burgers were done inside (I find 100 in October too hot and gross for outdoor bbqing) on the griddle, smashed and topped with provolone, served with special sauce, lettuce, tomato slice, pickles, on a homemade bun. Oven rosemary fries , and a nice red wine to drink.

16 Likes

i have a fabulous butcher here in SF - Olivier’s Butchery. Maybe I’ll try one of their chops. or maybe even a loin someday again…

3 Likes