What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

9 Likes

i do always use corn, and yes, charred on the stove’s open flame. Thank you! I love a good char.

1 Like

One of these days I’ll buy myself a gas range. I’ve put up with electric for too long.

2 Likes

I’m trying to remember, but once upon a time my parents’ house had an electric stove and I think we still charred them on the burners. there was a little sticking, of course, but worth it!

your tomatoes said “EFF YOU, 2020, we’re not coming out until you’re gone!” :grin:

5 Likes

that looks great!

Marinating chicken for the grill . Radishes with butter and salt with salad not in picture. Cheers .

14 Likes

Salmorejo, gazpacho’s sexier little sister! Peeled heirloom tomatoes, bread, sherry vinegar, garlic, salt, HB egg, evoo, all whirled together and topped with more HB egg, Spanish chorizo, and more evoo. Served cold (though it cooled down here considerably today.) There are some versions that also use blanched raw almonds, but this was really good, exactly as we had it in Cordoba.

Also, more leftover cherry tomato/ratatouille pasta with added TJ’s zhoug and sausage slices. I had just a bit of the pasta, the soup was so rich and filling.

I’m in love with that TJ’s zhoug. Made zhoug aioli this morning. Don’t tell the BF, but i’m leaving him for it. :grinning: eh, i guess he’ll figure it out when me and the tub of zhoug are gone.

Salmorejo 1

Salmorejo 2

zhoug aioli

16 Likes

"Salmorejo, gazpacho’s sexier little sister! "

Looks good, but not sure about bread=sexier. :blush: Maybe it’s the HB egg. I am always searching for the perfect mouth feel, so I’m keeping an open mind .

I found this.

4 Likes

the mouthfeel is what it’s all about. super silky, creamy. salmorejo’s got it in spades.

3 Likes

that’s weird, that’s almost the exact recipe I looked at, but a totally different site, Spanish Sabores. https://spanishsabores.com/2011/09/22/antonias-salmorejo-recipe/

1 Like

All bow to knife work.

2 Likes

Went super-simple tonight. Roasted the last of my red tomatoes (3 greenies on one vine, and a bunch of flowers on the other!), and augmented with some canned chopped tomatoes, roasted garlic, tomato paste, s/p, a hefty pinch of dried basil, and a small sploosh of heavy cream.

That went over some Trader Joe’s Goat Cheese and Sundried Tomato Ravioli with some grated Parm-Reg and fresh basil leaves.

A glass of wine. Because it was a busy hella day and will be for the next 3 workdays.

15 Likes

I’m so terribly behind. I’m cooking because we need to eat but I’m frenzied. My dad isn’t well and it really has me out of sorts. He is the person I compare nearly everyone to so I feel a bit rocked lately. But. To connect this back to food. I made a very simple but very delicious pasta tonight. Tons of cherry tomatoes, bread crumb topping over pasta.

22 Likes

@shrinkrap helpfully answered your first question with her infographic. “Country-style ribs” is a tricky label - it usually means shoulder chops, but in this case was lean, thick-cut loin chops. The first usually takes a long cooking to be tender (unless very thinly sliced and grilled), the latter short cooking or they dry out and toughen up. If it looks kind of uniform and pink without much intramuscular fat or connective tissue (like a b/s chicken breast), it’s probably a loin chop. Very lean meat.

I don’t really have a recipe for the salad - totally made
up on the fly. I’d guesstimate it was about 2 cups haricots steamed and ice-bathed, half an orange bell pepper cut into strips, a small cucumber cut into strips, 2 tomatoes cut into wedges, 1 avocado pitted and cubed, maybe 3 Tbsp chopped cilantro, and a small seeded jalapeño thinly sliced. Dressing was the juice of one lime, 1-2 tsp soy sauce, 1-2 tsp agave nectar, 1 Tbsp neutral oil, 1/2 tsp fish sauce, and maybe 1 Tbsp peanut butter (I’d sub cashew butter and chopped cashews for the peanut butter and peanuts - it has the right creaminess and sweetness). The dressing sort of channeled Vietnamese nuoc cham but with nut butter, if that helps? I think sliced mango would be a great tangy addition to sub for the apricot granules. Don’t be shy with the salt and pepper.

4 Likes

Sending good thoughts for your dad, @gracieggg.

3 Likes

Have you tried sieving your gazpacho? It’s a pain but IMHO totally worth it for the velvety mouth feel.

This is my go-to: http://www.cookinglight.com/recipes/tichis-gazpacho

1 Like

So sorry @gracieggg. Wishing him a full and speedy recovery, and wishing you and your family strength and hope.

3 Likes

Food is strength. Sending good thoughts to you, your dad, and your fam.

5 Likes

I agree! In fact last year I obsessed over a fine vs medium meshed strainer.

1 Like