What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

Splendid in every way.

1 Like

It’s still lunchtime here, but here’s what’s on the menu for dinner! I’m trying 3-1-1. And maybe smoked turkey wings.

On the other hand, we are expecting temps even higher than yesterday’s 109, so I may just have gazpacho.

13 Likes

Thank you :blush:

One of the items I picked up on my trip to Home Goods a couple of days ago was a couple of packages of garganelli pasta, one of my favorite pasta shapes.

A quick search online found this easy-peasy recipe for which I had almost all of the ingredients. I didn’t have enough proscuitto, so a couple slices of bacon were used to augment.

And since it’s a long weekend, I had a glass of wine on a Monday night.

14 Likes

@LindaWhit, I might risk the vision in one eye for that.

3 Likes

Ended the long weekend with a dinner of fridge loot and a sip of rosé in the garden.

17 Likes

Not bad loot!!!

1 Like

Agree, you did a great job of plundering your fridge @tomatotomato!

2 Likes

where are you in the City? I’m in the Mission but I was at my sister’s all day in the East Bay.

Another sweltering hell day. BF made a big salad with HB egg, bacon & blue cheese dressing, an italian sausage & olive concoction for himself, and i had 2 leftover take-out bbq ribs from lunch at seester’s Saturday. I made pan con tomate for both of us, the latter being my favorite tapa and favorite part of the meal.

15 Likes

those ribs look luscious!

i was thinking of gazpacho, or maybe salmorejo, for tomorrow night’s dinner…

1 Like

Too hot! Too hot! I don’t live in SF for this kind of weather…but this is our now and most probably our future. So…really simple dinner.
Greens!
Screen Shot 2020-09-07 at 7.30.07 PM
Refrigerator sourced fritatta = refried leftover potatoes, sauted onions, flame roasted pasillas, LOTS of Oaxacan cheese. Sorry for late pic, but dh was HUNGRY!

13 Likes

I’m in Mill Valley. The fog came in last night, thank goodness, but yesterday and Sunday almost did me in!

4 Likes

@paryzer & @gcaggiano,

Definitely dazzling dynamic …

1 Like

Greek Cuisine … Monday 7th September.

11 Likes

Your tortillas are always so beautiful. Do you use corn and char them directly on a fire before filling?

1 Like

Last night was a modified recipe for crispy oven gnocchi that I ran across. This uses one of those shelf stable packages of potato gnocchi. Put italian sausage, veggies, red onion (I used broccolini instead of bell peppers), and a can of cherry tomatoes on a sheet pan and bake; toss gnocchi with olive oil and parm; add gnocchi and cook under the broiler unit browned. This was super easy and came out pretty good. The charred broccolini were my favorite. Added some fresh herbs and red pepper flakes to up the flavor. Left overs were good too.

13 Likes

It’s beautiful! I usually have a bumper crop of tomatoes, with plenty for gazpacho and panzanella throughout Aug and Sept. Not this year. For some reason, the 8 plants I put in my “tomato” bed didn’t do a thing. Could be it’s too many years planting tomatoes in that location. I have some plants hidden in the corners of other beds (where I had room, and didn’t want to discard the starts), but they aren’t providing that much. The start to our summer was very cold and wet. Till about mid July…

1 Like

2 questions. First, what is a country style rib? I am so bad with meat cuts. Second, your salad looks delish. Do you have a recipe, and perhaps ideas about how to sub out the peanuts and pb? Thanks!

I’ve eat all kinds of food in my life, but nothing looks so tempting as some hot fried chicken…

2 Likes