Gazpacho

Nice picture

So far today

From

…but riper. There’s some hoarded garlic scapes in there.

Also NY Times, and I assume behind a paywall, but I want to park it here because it answers some of my questions about gazpacho minus the bread.

vs

…which seems to be saying bread is important. Maybe there’s a link to buy bread grin.

Also, the old straining vs not straining conundrum.

1 Like

I never add bread to my gazpacho, primarily because we don’t have the same quality bread like in Spain. Even if I were to splurge for a good loaf from a nice bakery, it would offend my sensibilities to let it go stale just for gazpacho. I just leave my gazpacho slightly chunky for extra texture – I much prefer small sized chunks rather than a smooth gazpacho.

To respond to your question in the garden thread - I’ve never had shishito peppers raw. I should try biting into one of mine and try. :sweat_smile: I read on a web site that they should be mildly sweet when raw, so I would think this might be a nice add to a gazpacho. The shishitos are so small, and the skin has a leathery like texture (i.e., not very thick, wrinkly). I wonder if you might need to add a lot of them to get any flavor punch, with a bonus chance of a little heat.

1 Like

We had our first batch last week. And made our crotouns with TJ Everything But the Bagel spice. Made a nice crunchy addition.

2 Likes

Good points! I’d forgotten that they are usually cooked first.

I agree on not adding bread to gaspacho. I prefer to offer olive oil fried croutons with gaspacho. Or without gaspacho.

1 Like

Thanks all! I’m skipping the bread. Anyone want to weigh in on seiving? I bought new strainers last year, but still feel uncertain about tossing the fiber, especially this early in the season.

1 Like

Hmmmm…my tomato and cucumber garnish dropped to the bottom, but the texture is just the way I like it.

2 Likes

Hmmm…canned tomatoes, roasted peppers, and walnuts. :thinking:

1 Like

What We Mean By: Medium or Fine Sieve

Anybody making gazpacho yet? Started my first batch today.

We had it over the weekend, a NYT recipe. Was very good, with a flatbread made with left over tian.

1 Like

Still waiting for my tomatoes to ripen. :unamused:

I might just have to suck it up and but some heirloom tomatoes instead.

It won’t be long now! A few days ago I picked some with barely a blush, as I was having a pest issues, and they were ripe a day or to later, and others are blushing as we “speak”.

4 Likes

We’ve made several batches so far. We have our “tomato man” outside of Lodi, CA, en route to the country. Excellent beefsteak tomatoes.
I am confused by the pale orange color of several of the featured gaspachos here. The attached recipes don’t seem to include that color unless one is using mostly yellow tomatoes.
And we would never sieve. For perfectly smooth gaspacho, just leave in the blender longer. And/or keep some chopped veg separately for garnish. We usually make it smooth and serve it in chilled stoneware goblets.

For super refined version, I remember an essence of gaspacho, where finished gaspacho was drained through a coffee filter, resulting in a concentrated flavored clear liquid. Lovely but certainly not traditional.

2 Likes

That reminds me of something I make when I’m growing a bit weary of the precious pulp. Not really a recipe; just the water from a tomato with no pulp, and no color.

I couldn’t find it, but I found this.

“Running With Tweezers-the essence of tomatoes”

Gazpacho Andaluz …

The wife of Emperor Napolean III, Eugenia de Montijo of Granada, was responsible for the Andalusian Gazpacho becoming popular in France. Today, tourism has led to this cold tomato soup being made throughout the world.

In 1747, Juan de La Mata, documented in El Arte de Respostería, the most common Gazpacho known as CAPON DE GALERA, which is still made at home as follows:

100 Grams of stale day old bread (baguette)
ONE KILO of RED ripe tomatoes PEELED & DE-SEEDED
1 capsicum green bell pepper (100 grams)
2 cloves of garlic chopped finely
60 ml. white wine vinegar
155 ml. Extra virgin olive oil español
2 tsps of salt

We soak the bread in 155 ml. cold water and squeeze out the excess liquid.

Then, we crush the bread and all the other ingredients in a large Mortar, then drizzle the Evoo very very slowly, combining until a smooth consistency.

IF USING A FOOD PROCESSOR, PUT ALL THE INGREDIENTS IN A LARGE BOWL AND BLEND TO A FINE PURÉE.

You probably need to make in 2 or 3 batches. CHECK the seasoning and pour into a large bowl and cover and chill for 2 hours.

Put the garnish as follows: 1 SMALL ONION 125 grams; 1 firm RED ripe tomato de-seeded and peeled; 1 green bell of 60 grams, 60 grams of cucumber PEELED, 1 HARD BOILED EGG SLICED FINELY and 100 grams of day old baguette sliced in crouton size – IF SERVING IN A BOWL.

SERVE THE GAZPACHO IN A MARTINI STYLED STEMWARE FOR DRINKING.

ANOTHER HISTORIC VERSION:

AJO BLANCO CON UVAS (Chilled almond and garlic soup with grapes):

Almond flavoured ajo blanco comes from Málaga, and is normally served with fresh Muscat grapes, peeled and de-seeded.

250 GRAMS ALMONDS
155GRAMS BAGUETTE - DAY OLD BREAD
2 CLOVES GARLIC FINELY SLICED
SALT
155 ML. EVOO - SPANISH
1 TABLESPOON OF SHERRY VINEGAR
4 CURPS OF VERY COLD WATER
500 GRAMS OF WHITE MUSCAT GRAPES PEELED AND DE-SEEDED

Blanch the almonds for 2 minutes in boiling water to loosen skins. Drain and rub the loose skins off with a tea towel.

Soak the bread in a small amount of water.

Crush the almonds, bread, garlic and salt in a large mortar. Mix thorougly with the pestle and gradually drizzle the oil to form a spongy paste. Mix in the sherry vinegar and then add the cold water.

Transfer to the refrigerator and just before serving check salt and vinegar to taste and then add the grapes and served VERY WELL CHILLED.

To conclude: ALVALLE is made for EXPORT ONLY … Those purchasing are purchasing a product made for “foreign palates” …

2 Likes

I’ve sieved and not and the texture of the former is just superior IMHO. And this from someone who’s all about reducing effort and clean-up.

1 Like

I will try sieving, CM. You may have opened a new window for us. Who knows?

1 Like

Add a drizzle of good olive oil and a splash of sherry (as in the José Andres recipe I think I posted upthread), and you’ll be in heaven!

3 Likes