What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

Wow, love your new flat skewers!!! Amazon or ?

1 Like

Love this!!! Thanks :heart:

This damn social distancing for COVID-19 has me hibernating even more than I usually do, even on a drop-dead gorgeous end-of-summer day.

But I finally forced myself to get off my ass and out for a bit. Just to Home Goods (still with much less product on the shelves and in aisles to allow for customers to keep apart. Or maybe they’re just not getting the product they used to because people aren’t out there shopping anymore. Dunno.)

Then to Hannaford because even though my downstairs freezer is almost full, I can’t pass up $.89/lb. for BISO chicken breasts. I also picked up some shrimp and made a quick scampi meal with leftover Basmati rice and fresh steamed green beans.

Oh, there WAS wine.

And some Saturday afternoon cuddly-buddly pics of the boyz.

22 Likes

Sirloin steak (a little overcooked) with couscous salad. Experimental air-fried zucchini tots in the second picture.

To drink: Corpse Reviver No. 2. Equal parts Lillet Blanc, Bombay gin, Cointreau, lemon juice, and an absinthe rinse.

I then switched over to a regular martini. Well, two, actually. Happy Saturday!

16 Likes

Most of tonight’s dinner was random stuff and not very pretty. I did put together a salad of watermelon, cucumber, shallots, Marcona almonds, basil and whipped goat cheese. It seemed like a good way to celebrate the end of tourist summer here at the Jersey Shore.

15 Likes

In celebration of LABOR DAY, I took the day off in the kitchen. So, a 100% American plate.

Mrs. Paul’s Fish Sticks with Hellman’s Tartar Sauce, microwave steamed broccoli with Velveeta sauce, pan fried potatoes with off camera Del Monte catsup.

Okay, okay, tomorrow back to work~

16 Likes

Only almost full? That will have to be resolved. grin

The boyz seem to be fond enough of one another. Or tired.

1 Like

When Finnegan (ginger cat) gets tired of the grooming that Alfalfa likes to do, he’ll pick a fight. And they have a regularly scheduled after-dinner tussle (a.k.a. Finny beats the crap out of Alfie until Mom intervenes). So “tolerate” is the word I’d use, with occasional moments of fondness.

4 Likes

So damn hot (still 102 at 7 pm). Got up early to do cooking for the in-laws delivery tomorrow. And there was a small chicken that need used, so I roasted it with carrots and potatoes then reheated it for dinner. Some TJ’s mac and a salad on the side. Cab Franc to drink. I’m so ready for a cool fall breeze.

For our delivery I made carrot ginger soup, some lamb meatballs with a saffron cream sauce, and chocolate chip cookies. Also got some bread and pastries. My father-in-laws cancer has spread significantly so we are trying to do more; of course, that’s also a challenge as both DH and I are working (and not staying as isolated as during our initial lock down) so cooking, delivering, and staying distanced is hard and sad. But, we are grateful to be able to help and see them still.

19 Likes

How? We tried the classic squirt gun but our cat Emma loves water. One of her favorite games is playing in a running bidet. sigh

2 Likes

Dr Frankenstein visited us and brought a recipe with him. Trying to be a gracious host, I agreed to pull together a meal for us all. Since I don’t read German, there was more then a bit of pointing, jostling and low level aggression between us at the stove to pull this dish together. In pictures, here’s how the casserole came together:
Ground beef & pork browning

Velveeta on Triscuits

Roma tomatoes added (not shown, the Mexican Salsa add in)

Cantonese Egg Noodles added

grated Mozzerella Cheese added

Out of the oven after 45 minutes at 325

Served

15 Likes

Ich spreche ein bischen Deutsch.

1 Like

And me, none. :pensive:

We had a fabulous dinner outdoors at Drew’s Bayshore Bistro in Keyport, NJ on a gorgeous day. Details and pictures are in the main Drew’s link below.

5 Likes

Fantastic.

Lamb on mashed potatoes. Zucchini. Cheers.

14 Likes

Amazon indeed :joy:

Saturday: Had a bite out while doing some retail therapy. My grandsons, going on 9 and 8 have spent the weekend with us … My mom in law joined us … A COUPLE OF THE LOVELY DISHES WERE: BEEF CARPACCIO WITH WHITE TRUFFLES FOR THE KIDS & Dear, and fresh figs (“brevas”) for dessert. A lovely red, Syrah and I had Prosecco And a Margherita with fresh basil, Mozzarella di bufala and fresh tomato and Fresh Figs called Brevas in Spanish !

14 Likes

Gorgeous boys!

1 Like

We had a socially distanced barbeque with another couple to mark the holiday weekend. I say barbecue though we actually bought most of the food ahead in order to focus on preparing our social distancing set up.

I prepared separate appetizer set ups for each couple so we could enjoy nibbles and beverages seated at separate, spaced tables. Warm spinach and feta tiropitas (triangles) from Sophia’s Greek Pantry (Lowell, MA) were the star app. Easy to keep in the freezer. I couldn’t make better myself!

Smoked ribs and redskin potato salad from Alpine Butcher (Lowell-Chelmsford line). Served with corn on the cob from the farmstand down the street. Our friends brought watermelon from their CSA share.

I did all the reheat/cooking indoors and carried food outside because actually using the grill would have impinged on the patio space for distancing.

Dessert was M&M brownie gelato sandwiches from Cafe 12 (Chelmsford, MA), made in-house by the delightful owner.

No pics since it’s more effort than I thought to set up everything socially distanced. It helped that we have a long folding table, where we could place food and supplies at either end.

Great weekend to be outdoors here and we made the most of it.

14 Likes