What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

It’s Friday.
It’s a long weekend.
It’s gonna be a NICE weekend.

I got out of work “early” this holiday weekend.
(4:00 p.m.)
A trip to my local butcher was in order.

Steak tips with Ballymaloe steak sauce, half a baked tater with the PSTOB of butter (and I love that my phone now auto-suggests PSTOB after I type "baked tater!), and asparagus.

There was wine. Lots of it. This is one of 2. OK, 2.5ish. Probably more on the ish side than not.

23 Likes

“hog rib chop grilled” seems like the ultimate understatement. That’s one gorgeous chop!

1 Like

Beets with ranch

Hungarian chicken with Israeli couscous

14 Likes

today was a very big bread day for me. first, i had a tomato and mayo sandwich for bfast, then I had LUNCH - which i haven’t been eating much during the lockdown - cold ratatouille on toasted sourdough, and THEN, the BF decided to bake a no-knead white bread. Just to sop up the butter, garlic, bacon sauce he made for store-bought mushroom ravioli, and a salad. Sausages were all him, i ate mostly bread with TPSTOB.

19 Likes

Husband’s reverse seared medium …hmmmmmmm … :face_with_hand_over_mouth: New York strip steak, griddled (not carmelized) “feather cut” onions, and the very last of the slicing tomatoes from the garden.

I’m still chasing MY steak around the kitchen so I can lasso it, and pin it down on my plate. :grin:

And re-watching all for episodes of Chef’s Table BarbQ.

20 Likes

Dinner for me tonight was the leftover piece of salmon from the other night, steamed broccoli, and decadent polenta loaded with butter and cheese.

Kids had idli and cheese dosa with lots of broccoli.

Excitement for the day was inaugurating my new giant flat skewers! I made the Adana kabab mixture - one at a time. Great fun.

22 Likes

Feather cut onions! grin

Atta girl.

1 Like

I like it, too. But did you hear about the monkey slavery scandal? https://www.wtvr.com/news/national/peta-grocery-chains-are-selling-coconut-milk-made-from-coconuts-harvested-by-forced-monkey-labor?_amp=true

I like your style :laughing:

1 Like

Beginning of today’s project: two gallons (about) of tomato-basil soup headed for the pressure canner. Combination of pints and quarts.

10 Likes

Can’t edit for ETA - update: first gallon-plus is on the simmer, jars are most of the way through dishwasher cycle. Prep done for second batch.

1 Like

No, I certainly hadn’t heard that @ChristinaM, but thanks for bringing it to my attention. I’ll read up on it.

1 Like

Wow! Talk about cookin’.

1 Like

Dinner Thursday night was lamb shanks cooked with wine, herbs and vegetables. H also made orzo cooked in lamb stock with tomatoes. Tasty it was; in fact we had it last night as leftovers. Realized we need to eat our lamb supply, since we’ll be getting another one in Nov-Dec.

13 Likes

First canner load of three quarts and four pints is out, cooling, and have all sealed. Second batch is about fifteen minutes from going into jars for the second round of canning. It has truly been a day. Three flats of tomatoes was too many. We’re going to can salsa on Monday and I’ll make some gazpacho. Caprese. We’ll figure out something. If all else fails I’ll just can the tomatoes. Lots of canners do base ingredients; I usually do finished dishes. Horses for courses.

We had planned on shrimp summer rolls for dinner tonight. There might not be enough energy in the house for that unless Emma the cat develops opposable thumbs, a good vocabulary, and willingness to wear a hair net. Seems unlikely.

5 Likes

Have a great weekend everybody!
(Rooster Blues-JJ)

8 Likes

Beautiful guitar. Who’s playing it?

1 Like

Justin Johnson.
http://www.justinjohnsonlive.com/

1 Like

Thanks,
Beautiful playing.

1 Like

Three gallons canned. One pint for dinner not shown.

14 Likes