What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

As someone recently posted, Triscuits are one of the great under-recognized crackers.

8 Likes

Thank you so much for sharing details about those soups, @Barca! I favor vegetarian soups and love learning about combinations that are new to me.

1 Like

100%

1 Like

Wow!
Beautiful :+1:

1 Like

TUESDAY 15th Lunch:
From the wild coast of Costa Brava, or Northern Empordà, a lovely little Italian ristorante.

10 Likes

Another very long day.

Easy but late dinner…roasted chicken breast with Herbs de Provence, rice pilaf with chives, and green beans.

17 Likes

That made me smile
Loved it

1 Like

I had asked everyone separately for a good way to use up a lot of parsley, and today’s WFD was a pasta with parsley sauce. It has a lot in common with carbonara. Thin noodles, egg yolks, grated cheese, sausage instead of pancetta. Also a heckin lot of garlic butter (2 sticks for 1 lb) and 2 cups of minced parsley. I thought it was good. Too much butter probably.

My family though - man they are picky. The kids both said - too herby. The husband - not herby enough, but add other, different, more herbs. Then again, as the primary cook, I don’t cook things that I don’t think I’ll like, so it’s not exactly fair to them. When my h cooks, I don’t always love his efforts :slight_smile:

17 Likes

I got some okra in my CSA box which of course meant “jambalaya” for dinner. I’m sure mine wouldn’t pass in NOLA - I used Hatch chiles instead of bell peppers and I didn’t have any andouille sausage but it captured the essence.

18 Likes

i enjoy that dish a lot and deliberately make extra so I can cook it up in a pan with a few eggs for another quick dish.

Interesting idea! Like a spaghetti frittata? The only problem with making something pretty good that no one else likes is I have to eat the rest of it or toss it. So even though I start at enjoyment, by the end of the week I’ll be totally sick of it.

2 Likes

Yes, exactly…and sometimes I do make a dish just for myself. :shushing_face:

This is actually a great topic for a new thread. Watch for it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Katsudon - breaded deep fried pork cutlet with onions egg and sauce over rice. I’ve been watching Midnight Diner on Netflix and this dish is featured in one episode involving a boxer.

20 Likes

that looks/sounds great to me!

Pork guisado made with dried guajillos i simmered in water, blended, then added that and chicken stock to sauteed pork shoulder, onions, garlic, cilantro, cabbage that needed to go, crushed tomatoes, and jarred grilled red peppers. Bay leaves, oregano, RPF, smoked paprika, a little cumin… simmered for 1.5 hours. Made RG Ayocote Morados and then made rice with the bean water and chicken stock. Super homey delish. We hoovered it down and there were seconds.

17 Likes

Come over for dinner. You can take the place of any of my picky peeps!

3 Likes

Ah, you do you! You’re doing the cooking, so as far as I’m concerned they’re still the lucky ones even if you won’t make things you don’t like!

1 Like

Tough crowd!

1 Like

Oh, I certainly do. It’s just annoying when they are picky.

1 Like