What's For Dinner #61 - the Back to (Home) School Edition - Sept. 2020

Maangchi’s galbi tonight, with ssamjang, to which i added a little sesame oil and scallions. Found shiso leaves for the wraps. Ribs marinated 9 hours today, very tender. also, korean-ish corn salad - sesame oil, hot chili oil, scallions, gochugaru, maggi seasoning, shiso and cilantro. quick pickled radishes in a little ume plum vinegar, gochugaru, and sesame oil. Jasmine rice. I love flanken cut ribs.

friesday earlier, too…

now for a nightcap.

17 Likes

French fries , bloody mary and a crossword puzzle . Oh my .

8 Likes

the Sunday triumvirate.

5 Likes

The power of the three

2 Likes

Thanks! Chengdu 1 Palace in Green Brook, NJ.

Oh wow, do you have a recipe for this? Looks delicious!

It’s on Rt 22 in Green Brook, NJ and as @paryzer knows, it’s my all-time favorite Szechuan and I never get there any more. I can taste most of those dishes through the screen. :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes: :heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Hm. Just a process, really. Slice beef or pork thinly and put in a slurry of cornstarch and soy sauce, splash of water or sherry. Pour boiling water over rice noodle to warm up. Heat oil in wok or frying pan. Sauté sliced green onion. Remove and sauté strips of meat adding oil if necessary. Add green onions back in. Drain noodles and mix in, tossing well. Do all of this on the highest heat possible given stove and exhaust system.

5 Likes

Yum! Thanks! :slight_smile:

Very light Early Autumn Italian vegetarian soups.
Monday … One for lunch and the other this evening …
Busy with our re-organising our home office.

16 Likes

You plated those soups so beautifully! Please, what kinds of soup are in the bowls? I am so inspired by your meals.

1 Like

Smoked whole chicken, garden kale salad, and pan-roasted butternut squash with sage. DH cooked😍

21 Likes

I highly recommend this recipe I found on Chowhound. It’s insanely good and ridiculously easy to make: https://www.chowhound.com/recipes/spaghetti-roasted-cherry-tomatoes-feta-herbs-31390

1 Like

so soy sauce and the scallions are the only flavoring?

Yes. Of course, if you do it right you can add a lot more. There is another splash of soy when noodles are added. it’s all to taste. Best to Google a real recipe. This is just my winging take. Like all my food…

2 Likes

ok, but yours looked great! thanks.

Spaghetti & a spicy meat sauce. made the tomato sauce a couple weeks ago with FM toms, froze it, simmered for 3 hours today with ground beef and extra red pepper flakes. TPST of butter and garlic on the garlic bread. Salad too.

18 Likes

Long day today and equally long day tomorrow. Italian it is. Sausage in sweet vermouth gravy over rigatoni. Parmesan shavings.

Appetizer of prosciutto, parmesan, and Dalmatia fig jam on triscuits. Simple but delicious.

21 Likes

Thank you so much. Very complimentary.

1. Minestra Primavera with a poached Egg. And the ingredients are: Vegetable stock broth, Zucchine or courgette, onion of choice, parsely, Reggiano Parmigiano, eggs, butter, Evoo, garlic, Italian style bread, salt, black pepper.

2. Starts with a home made Vegetable stock broth also, broccoli, cauliflower florettes, Italian style bread, and salt, black pepper and one of the following: “Esplette or Guindilla”, a dried red tiny horn shaped chili pepper or a rose peppercorn, a drizzle of Evoo, just a couple of tiny ones sprinkled on top. It is a farmer´s broth. However, I have also prepared it with a few Pomegrante Seeds (granadas or what you may call Chinese Apples). Aged 24 or 36 or 50 month old Reggiano Parmigiani, of course, and I use old rinds (they can be frozen).
    You can also add a “pear” shaped ripe tomato if you wish too. I have made it in all ways. And you can also put a tiny pasta in it too if you wish.

Thank you once again for the beautiful compliment.

All my best wishes during these challenging times.
Ciao.

And ceramic bowls or terracotta earthenware – what we call “barro” (Clay or Terracotta bowls).

2 Likes

Vegetable fried rice.

14 Likes