What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

I want to be in that alternate dimension right now @tomatotomato! 2020 has failed to meet expectations, and I’m going to give it a terrible performance review! :upside_down_face: Love merguez sausage too - wonderful flavors.

2 Likes

Dined out last night on the deck of a favorite local pizza place. The deck heaters were all on, otherwise it would have been chilly.
We split a chopped salad, and ordered our favorite pizza, The Fearless. It has lots of pancetta, pepperoncini, onions and garlic on it. Half came home with us. It was good, as always, and nice to be out. A couple gratuitous scenery shots. Would love to see your town’s or city’s resto pics too.

17 Likes

BLTs, elote (Aldi - meh), and glazed carrots. Lousy pic but oh well. Some leftover sweet potato fries, too.

13 Likes

Bought and grilled too many pork chops for the two of us (Who can really say that?) So our day three of pork for dinner became Pork Fried Rice. Blessed to have the SE Asian Holy Trinity Sauce mix down pat. The eggs disappeared into the brew yet again. I’m not stressing that because we know they’re in there somewhere. Added Angry Grandma Fried Chili In Oil to our second, smaller helpings…

14 Likes

Your bread heels used to put the sandwich together speaks bliss to me, @ChristinaM

2 Likes

Yeh, what’s the difference between a bun and two heels? And they usually/often have a boatload of extra seeds and goodies.

2 Likes

Dishes like this reaaaaaaaaally make me wish I liked raw tomatoes. (YES, I SAID IT PUBLICLY.)

4 Likes

Today must have been BLT day. I made ours on ciabatta rolls that worked surprisingly well for the purpose (Fantini, found at Market Basket for the Massachusetts peeps).

No time to pull together a side so I decided to break out our just-in-case bag of Cape Cod chips. One must be prepared.

13 Likes

Corona-wich :laughing:

1 Like

I bet you’ve already heard the whole - you’ve never tasted tomatoes until you’ve tasted garden grown tomatoes, eh?

Ok - here is my advice, if you want to try to like tomatoes. They’re often watery and don’t have the best texture, even garden grown. What is super reliable is cherry tomatoes. Garden grown. Orange if you like sweeter, red if you like more acidic. Find a friend who grows them and beg a pint. Then give them a try again. Straight up. Or w/salt. Or w/salt, pepper, olive oil.

2 Likes

Fun with summer produce today. We are on a salad kick. I turned the melon/prosciutto app into a dinner salad with greens, fresh mozz, basil, and a balsamic vinaigrette. Served it with a warm loaf of oatmeal bread, and giant choc chip cookies for dessert.

The cookies are a funny trick I learned from a friend. It is a technique that I think will work on any cookie recipe. You make sort of giant batter balls (1/3 cup), put them on foil on the baking sheet, freeze for 15, then bake at 350 for 20. After 10 min of baking, lift up the baking sheet and drop it down again on the rack. Do that every 2 min. It makes the cookies spread, and it makes the end result crisp edges and chewy center. Prepare for noise though. You can’t get the effect if you only gingerly drop the tray from an inch up. You have to really drop it from 5 inches up.

19 Likes

I literally just read about this cookie technique in Martha Stewart Living…5 minutes ago!

4 Likes

I had a few quarts of shrimp stock in the freezer after working through a four pound box of frozen head on shrimp. Made some Penang Hokkien mee following this recipe for the most part, only in the Instant Pot:

Added some store bought fish balls, tofu puffs, and regular spinach.

16 Likes

Looks like sasolito . Some where near the bay ?

Puff topped with some cauliflower alfredo (gifted by my sister from her delivery box), red onions, red pepper flakes, and after cooking, a little prosciutto, and arugula salad. This was really good.

18 Likes

@CurlzNJ Although I grow TPSTOT , I have to admit I haven’t long been a fan, but they are growing on me, and the husband too, and he’s notorious.

Also, check out the roasted ones.

I made some Nancy Silverton chickpeas , in part to welcome daughter back from NY, but its almost 9 PM here, and I’m not sure what I’ll do with them . Maybe something with roasted tomatoes!

Tommorow I’m trying that chickpea, bacon, and roasted pepper salad.

10 Likes

Show stopper right here! Pretty terrific.

10 Likes

Ceci, confit tomatoes, and feta.

14 Likes

Last dinners (and some lunches).

Marinated sardine with herbs, artichoke risotto

Oven roasted radish with lemon pepper with pan fried red squid

Lemony gnocchi with parmesan and basil micro greens

Sunday - pizza beer football night! Champions League final: Paris Saint-Germain vs Bayern Munich.

Result: Neymar broke down in tears after the game. We weren’t supporters of both teams but had a good time.

Beef tartare

Eating out in a Vietnamese in 13th district in Paris.
Banh cuon tom

Bún bì nem chua chå giò - spring rolls and sour pork with rice vermicelles

Bún bò Huế, with pig feet

Wild salmon, garden tomatoes mozzarella.

Seaweed arugula salad

Chakchouka, used spicy smoke paprika… perfect in heat!

16 Likes

That looks so good. Rasa Malaysia is one of my go-to recipe sources. It never fails me. What kind of chiles did you use? 30 seems like quite a lot though it sounds like you don’t end up using all that is made.

1 Like