What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

Pacific Northwest Grilled salmon YET AGAIN! Not taking another picture of that. The tomatoes to go with are still worthy.

Also roasting some Maglia Rosa cherry tomatoes as in

Half done?
IMG_20200825_191621|700x525

18 Likes

Awwwwww! That’s why I keep making this da*n salmon.

1 Like

Yum! I love merguez sausage.

Actually you give me a PICTURE of summer succotash with merguez sausage. If you want to give me the actual plate I’ll PM my street address. Just sayin’. :grin:

3 Likes

Oh yeah - homemade sweet potato fries, too

1 Like

Have not been in much of a cooking mood the last couple days. Tonight was simple pork chops with hot cherry peppers, onions, and garlic. No pic of the plate, but here are the chops before I removed them from the pan to finish the dish. There was a side of mashed potatoes. There were also several glasses of Chardonnay.

Also for dessert was one of the BF’s homemade cinnamon rolls (plus one this morning…who’s counting calories?). The day before that, he made pop tarts from scratch (decidedly better than the original I might add).

21 Likes

That looks so good!

Pop tarts from scratch. Omg

3 Likes

Kofta curry (lamb) with coconut rice - favorite meal of half my family (I’m not in that half, though I like it fine - but I do love the coconut rice).

Sides of tomato salad (yeah, there’s a tomato salad pretty much every day at the moment, lol) and okra “fries.”

I also made Beyond meatballs for the kids, which they liked quite a bit I think. Browned and baked, then poached in a sauce from the garden tomatoes for one, and crisped up further for the other. Broccoli with olive oil and lemon and brown rice for them.

19 Likes

Be right over with a plate for you! (In the awesome alternative dimension where distance and time don’t get in our way. :grinning:)

3 Likes

Green Goddess is pretty easy to make. Sour cream and milk is classic I think. I just use yogurt. All the herbs are pretty much pantry items. Extra credit for having a tube of anchovy paste kicking around. grin

Yep, I use a recipe from roxlet on Chowhound:

1 cup mayonaise (reduced fat is OK)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 clove of garlic finely chopped
1 tablespoon tarragon vinegar (or use white wine vinegar with a tiny dash of tarragon)
1/4 cup finely chopped green onions
1/4 cup chopped parsley
1/2 cup sour cream
4 anchovies, chopped (I use about 1/2 tsp anchovy paste)
freshly ground black pepper

Put all the ingredients except the sour cream into a blender. Blend until all ingredients are well amalgamated. Remove to a bowl and stir in the sour cream. Do not blend with the sour cream.

5 Likes

Blender:

1 Like

But then your “green” goddess isn’t green. It’s just kind of ranch.

1 Like

Pesce All’Acqua Pazza. Acqua Pazza is Italian for crazy water, an easy to make tomato broth with garlic and fresh herbs. Traditionally from the coast of the Italian region of Campania, the broth is most commonly used as a poaching liquid for white fish. Since Mr Bean had a great day fishing this weekend I was able to use freshly caught Fluke, aka Summer Flounder. I made the broth a little crazier with the addition of capers, Calabrian Chiles and a little white vermouth. Next time I’m going to double the broth - it was really good.

16 Likes

Gorgeous flavor combo. That’s my kind of crazy. :star_struck: Thank you for sharing.

2 Likes

Looks like a shot from a magazine!

1 Like

You are very welcome! I love when folks here share their recipes and their “adjustments”. I learn so much.

I found some recipes that called for crushed red pepper which I find to one-note. I love the slight citrusiness of the Calabrian Chiles.

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

Those pop tarts look amazing!

1 Like

@Saregama - your meal looks right up my alley - the lamb kofta curry, coconut rice and okra! Want to add also that your latest pork post was beyond the beyond. I could almost taste it by the picture alone.

1 Like