What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

Same here, that’s awful. Sorry for your loss @gcaggiano!

1 Like

Peace and light to you and all who loved your friend, @gcaggiano.

1 Like

Phenomenal carte and an extraordinary carnivore´s dinner.

1 Like

Thank you! It’s just nice to be dining out again.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

1 Like

Sunday - Family Lunch Out and beautiful seaviews. (Lady in White blouse, the mother of one of my son´s wives ) … Roasted red pepper salad and Bulgarian Sheep Feta, Mussels, Fresh Fish - Dauraude, or “GILT BREAM”, a breaded chicken breast, AND THE SEA VIEWS ON Northern Mediterranean Coast ) …

18 Likes

All our deepest condolences …

1 Like

Spectacular lunch with beautiful views! The roasted red pepper salad and sea bream look amazing.

1 Like

Gilt Bream or Dorada or Dauraude … Common in Meditteranean and during warmer climate …

Sea Bream / Besugo is always baked or served in Nigriri. It is a Winter season fish and quite sublime.

I just had the roasted red pepper salad and some mussels !

The views are quite lovely !!

Thanks again and glad you enjoyed your Gordon Ramsey dinner. We are grand fans of his Beef Wellington !!! Incredible !!!

2 Likes

Slow roasting cherry tomatoes today for either a tart or sauce.

The tomato “farm” is exploding given the very hot weather (relative to the cold summer so far - not in absolute terms - it’s only in the 80s) in SoCal this week, so I will have to employ all the advice here on tomato overage use.

I’m not a big tomato sandwich fan, so it’s going to be salads, tarts, and sauces.

Last night I went to someone else’s house for the first time in over 6 months… we were outside for the entire time, except a bathroom visit. A simple dinner of salad, pasta, and roast beef, and then everyone settled in for a movie outdoors. It was SO nice to see other people.

And today, one of my closest friends from nyc who moved to northern CA a few years ago informed me that she is driving down here with her family for the week, so I will see them in a few days (socially distanced, of course) - I am SO EXCITED!

20 Likes

Made a batch of chicken tenders following John Legend’s recipe. These were really good. A little spice, and lots of flavor. We had a few, with a salad and froze the rest.

16 Likes

Freezer grub saves the day!

Had a perfect sized package of flash frozen, peeled and deveined shrimp in our freezer. Nearby Green Grocer had the perfect sized Vidalia Onion, and bell pepper. Enjoyed the prep of all the ingredients while sipping a drink; plunked a Shrimp & Cantonese Noodles stir fry in our bowls for dinner tonight.

15 Likes

Made a big pot of sawce this afternoon to feed my freezer. Problem is, my freezers are full. Rut roh.

So sketti and sawce, crusty buttered roll, and a salad with honey-mustard vinaigrette was dinner.

There was wine.

22 Likes

Buttermilk-brined reverse seared pork chop plus CSA vegetables were dinner tonight. I had planned to grill outside but an approaching thunderstorm did not agree.

16 Likes

Tonight I was really feeling unenthusiastic (to put it mildly) about preparing dinner. The relentlessness of meal prep and household maintenance, on top of the totally unreasonable pace of work throughout lockdown (which is now going on SIX MONTHS) is wearing on me. FOR. REAL.

I picked up some beautiful swordfish and salmon at the fish market yesterday, so needed to get it together and make dinner regardless of my lack of motivation.

So, tonight was Dijon crusted salmon for the kids, Ina Garten’s Caesar swordfish, roasted garlic new potatoes and carrots, broccoli and simple mixed green salads.

Here’s to hoping that the malaise clears quickly.

18 Likes

Mrs. P deep fried some more soft shell crabs with caper, fresh herb and vermouth sauce. We had sides of refreshing corn salad and TJ’s sweet potato fries. It’s a short soft shell crab season, so we try and enjoy it while we can :slightly_smiling_face: It all went great with a nice bourbon barrel aged zinfandel.

20 Likes

As always, floored with jealousy! Looks beyond amazing.

Wowza

3 Likes

Reverse-seared bone-in rib eye with chimichurri (made with birds eye chilies, parsley, oregano and a little cilantro), esquites, and a salad of peaches, heirloom tomatoes, and golden beets with soft goat cheese, basil, evoo, and an aged balsamic. The salad was like dessert - so juicy and delish! I’m still thinking I like the Koreanish corn i made the other night a bit better than esquites but I hadn’t made it in a couple of years and probably just need to use a little less mayo next time. Still, it’s a really good dish.

21 Likes

Exquisite.

1 Like

Solo dinner for me tonight.

Yellowtail Nobu-style - with serrano instead jalapeño, ponzu, and soy.

I made a tomato-avocado salad to go with, and crisped up some leftover rice (because I couldn’t find the sushi rice), then ate as handrolls/taco bites using seaweed snacks.

Quite delicious, and unplanned. The serranos are spiiiiiicyyyyyyy!

14 Likes