What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

They look great! Link, please?

We camped last night. KISS with grilled hot dogs, grocery cole slaw (no seasoning - homemade next time!), and s’mores.

22 Likes

OMG those s’mores look amazing!!

3 Likes

https://cravingsbychrissyteigen.com/watch/luna-approved-chicken-tenders/

6 Likes

After a lot of weekend meals, some cleaning, planting, and car washing, I was done and dinner was not going to happen. So popcorn and Pinot it was. Might be my new Sunday night meal.

15 Likes

@MAH - I’ve been hit with the same malaise. My husband was in the hospital for a week in early July, and really hasn’t gotten his appetite back yet. This, combined with unusually high temps and lots of fires and smoke (we’re in Northern California), has just knocked out any desire I have to cook. Lots of takeout sushi, ham and cheese sandwiches, and quesadillas currently on the menu…and, as @LindaWhit says, there was/is lots of wine for me!

10 Likes

Proper absence of ketchup on hot dogs noted in my super secret double probation karma list. grin

No sauerkraut? For those disinclined, try caraway seed and diced apple. Game changer for many people.

We’ve shifted from mayo-based to vinaigrette dressings for coleslaw. Again, caraway, certainly carrots, a little grated onion. I tried a mandolin for slicing cabbage and have gone back to a knife.

Another side in addition to cole slaw is nice. Cucumber salad, pasta salad, caprese. You have to wash a fork after eating the cole slaw - you might as well get more mileage out of it.

Not a dessert person so no comment on the s’mores. I’m the guy everyone trusts with the chocolate because I just don’t have any interest in it. Apparently I’m broken.

4 Likes

Thanks!

SAKI tasting and amuses boûches (appetisers) … Asian with focus on Japanese.

15 Likes

Sorry, no - look more closely :crazy_face:

2 Likes

I’m so sad. grin

1 Like

Pan seared mini gnocchi tossed with homemade pesto and topped with homemade fresh mozzarella and CSA cherry tomatoes. CSA pole beans braised with bacon, vinegar, brown sugar, and chicken broth.

16 Likes

One of summer’s annual hits at our house is Marcella Hazan’s Potatoes with Tomatoes, Onions, and Sweet Pepper. This simple stew depends on the quality of its ingredients, so we enjoy it in late summer and early fall when CSA potatoes are new and the tomatoes and peppers are popping.

Marcella calls for yellow bell pepper. We don’t mind green peppers when cooked until meltingly tender. I’ll sneak in a carrot, a chopped garlic scape, and a little finely minced jalapeño if they’re in the veg drawer.

I add crumbled feta to our bowls for protein. Also would have julienned fresh basil on top if I had any.

16 Likes

Dinner Saturday - Garden or Greek Goulash, as made by H’s parents in peak garden months. (Yes, a little cultural appropriation) In ours we have garden beans, 2 kinds of squash, garlic, and homegrown tomatoes (frozen) from last year. We bought the eggplant, potatoes, peppers and chiles. It was really good. Bread for dipping.

17 Likes

What to do with an excess of summer tomatoes from the garden? Zupa di Pesci in a fresh tomato brodo.

21 Likes

bits and bobs from the fridge, including a VERY stinky hunk o’cheese (I think it was a fourme d’ambert - yum.)

19 Likes

I would soooooo like to do this…

2 Likes

Proper bread here! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Egg salad sandwich on shokupan, and a salad.

15 Likes

With humble acknowledgement to others going through very real weather induced living trials, I’m reporting I got together with my pal Mo Weber on a ghastly, hot and humid late afternoon in SE Michigan. I did a lot of peeking and ducking in and out of the A/C in our house (wimp that I am). Mo Weber, just powered along in the full Sun.
Used up the end of a bag of Yukon Gold potatoes, a red bell pepper, and a healthy Vidalia Onion slice, diced. Added well-cut pork loin chops from a local market when I thought the fire had banked. And voila: dinner.

http://guastellosvillagemkt.com/

22 Likes