What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

I almost forgot! My DH made “quick” mozarella, which we ate with tomatoes and basil from the garden. It was great!

Also, my three year-old sat down to dinner tonight and said, “Thank you, Mama, for my meal.” :exploding_head:

24 Likes

:sparkling_heart:

4 Likes

He then proceeded not to eat the meal, but later allowed himself to be spoon-fed while watching a kiddie movie before bed. Then he tried to persuade me that because he’s three years old, he should be allowed to eat three miniature donuts. :thinking:

10 Likes

I blame my mom (she is the BEST) for buying me a vacuum sealer for Christmas a few years ago. I must cook like you do- it’s hard or pointless to scale down a lot of things, and I feel super comforted knowing that I always have a good meal (or like 20) in the freezer no matter what.

3 Likes

Sound logic on his part, I must say. :wink: His negotiating skills are only going to get better. You’re screwed. LOL

4 Likes

100%

He borrowed my logic for limiting bedtime stories and used it against me.

3 Likes

I can’t wait until my 2 year old nephew provides some gems like that. Kids are hilarious.

2 Likes

Tsardusted pork chop with a gingery plum ketchup, maple-mashed sweet potatoes, and broccoli. Perfect dinner for the cooler weather that rolled in this afternoon, even though I didn’t know it would chill out like this tonight.

Wine.

Will have to pick up some more black plums to make some more plum ketchup, as that’s the last of it in my freezer.

And a sunset with fire clouds after the thunderstorm that came through earlier this evening.

16 Likes

Quick and easy. Roasted tiny potatoes, cabbage with apples ‘n onions (and caraway and cider vinegar), broiled seitan that spent the day in a beef-esque marinade. Horseradish, yogurt, Dijon sauce on the side. Sauce was thinner than I anticipated, but tasted fine.

8 Likes

South Indian tonight - Idli, dosai, sambhar, chutney, potato bhaji.

Coincidental given tonight’s DNC, lol.

Kid request of funnel cake for dessert day - I must immodestly pat myself on the back for what looked and tasted right on - too bad I don’t eat funnel cake :joy:

16 Likes

Yes, it was quite fascinating.

Albert Adrià and his brother own approx 6 or 7 various venues …

We go to all of his eateries …

You’re an awesome aunt! Yum. Did you use a squirt bottle or pitcher?

I recently participated in a viewing of the documentary The New Face of Israeli Cuisine, Roger Sherman’s follow up to his earlier film In Search of Israeli Cuisine. It turns out I was one of only 25% of viewers who never tried sabich - a quintessential Israeli street food sandwich. I changed that last night. I love all the components, but especially the amba, an Iraqi pickled mango sauce. It was delicious and really pulled the components together. One more condiment to keep on hand at all times.

18 Likes

Looks really good.

1 Like

Thanks. You’re supposed to stuff this all into a pita but mine ended up a big mess so I decided to go with the platter for posting.

3 Likes

STUNNING!!! A good sabich is a beautiful thing!

4 Likes

I would have done the same. The pita would have hidden all the glory.

2 Likes

I’d go a step farther and say stuff tends to scale up as I cook because I always screw up portioning, or make the mistake of cooking when hungry… It takes effort just to stick to the plan, let alone scale down :joy:

1 Like

That looks healthy! So many veg. I wouldn’t have thought to add vinagrette tomatoes to an otherwise Chinese style menu.

1 Like

Frantically cooking everything I can about 24 hours into a power outage, and generators past done.

Larb!

Salmon. Thank goodness it’s " just" farmed.

And hopefully some version of ribs.
I’m trying a stove top smoking gizmo. So ironic that I traded in my traditional smoker for an electric one, and now I have no electricity

24 Likes