What's For Dinner #60 - The Hot August Nights Edition - August 2020

All our friends say they’re coming to our house in the event of a bad natural disaster or a different kind of apocalyptic event. At least we’ll have company!

1 Like

I am going to revisit

when it cools off.

1 Like

This one won’t win any awards but delicious nonetheless: baked pork chop with a Ritz Cracker coating, garlic mashed potatoes, and sauteed spinach with…more garlic!

To drink: a Stoli Razberi with lime seltzer. A friend recommended the vodka and the liquor store near my job just so happens to sell 375 ML bottles. Good sample size. I like it but not sure I’d buy a full bottle.

15 Likes

Are you kidding me on your dinner @gcaggiano? - I I’d eat that in a NJ minute, looks delicious to me, and am sure it tastes better than that.

It’s only 8:20 here, and I haven’t eaten yet, your meal is perking up my appetite. I am having a glass of wine on the deck, and light snacks. Happy.

2 Likes

Well, thank you! A late dinner tonight as usual. With our schedules, its rare to eat before 10 on a work day.

Cheers!

1 Like

French onion soup for dinner tonight with homemade bread and sausages (white pudding style).

And a delicious tomato tasting of four varieties from the garden, over arugula. I’m fascinated by the differences in flavor among the types that are growing (as I figure out what I actually planted from what we ate early in pandemic season - the only “known” plants are an heirloom and cherries from seeds). My favorite of these are the mid-size green ones that are intensely flavorful and sweet. My favorite of the tiny ones (pictured here) are a small grape tomato that is also intensely sweet and flavorful.

17 Likes

Made Lanzhou style beef noodle soup following this recipe:

Only I used an Instant Pot and skipped the chili oil part because I already had some.

12 Likes

I wish I could use it as an excuse! I had to buy a set of those plastic tupperware drawer things just to hold my spices. And I only cook for one…

3 Likes

Long lost cousins maybe haha. I’ll check around to see if the Filipino stores are still there. I need to figure out how to vegetarian-ize some of my favorite recipes- I haven’t had them in forever. Mate I’ll go to the store and spend the day experimenting. I like the adobo or spicy crackernuts, but the plain are a little … plain, as it were.

You’re my spirit animal, @LindaWhit ! Since the pandemic started, I’ve been wondering aloud if I should have a SMALL chest freezer. But it’s just me here, and my kitchen and freezer are packed (at all times–even pre-pandemic), mostly because I cook and even if I eat the same meal for 3 days, I inevitably put a serving or two of whatever it is (soup, meat sauce, etc.) in the freezer! I do have weeks where I eat out of the freezer so I can rotate new stuff in, but I’m so happy it’s not just me. :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Looks fantastic to me! We’ve been on a Ritz kick lately anyway. - before the Pandemic I hadn’t had any in a good 25+ years? Inspiration!

3 Likes

Sweet and sour tofu sounds awesome- I’m adding it to my list. I’ve done a sesame tofu, but never even thought about sweet and sour. Thanks for the inspiration!

1 Like

This, exactly. I could feed half my street for like a week, and each day could be something from a completely different food culture. I’m a hot mess.

2 Likes

Yeah, knowing myself, I can only imagine! It’s a little crazy, but it could be worse…as in habits to have @Ct.ebner84.

Yup - when I make meat sauce, I make a BIG pot - and usually at least four 2-cup containers go into the downstairs freezer for easy reheating on the flame tamer.

When I make pot roast - at least 3 slices of roast with gravy go into shallow Rubbermaid containers.

When I make soup - it’s a big pot and those 2-cup Ziploc containers come in handy again.

When I make mac & ham & cheese - I do so in small rectangular foil containers so I can pull one out in the a.m. and it’s defrosted by dinnertime for easy baking after topping with Panko.

But even with ALL of that food, I still buy more shit at the stupidmarket. :laughing:

5 Likes

For those who didn’t see this thread and have asked about @meatn3, I found an old email address for her on her CH profile and took a chance, and she is thankfully ok.

I do hope she’ll be back at some point, but in the meantime I’m sure she’d be happy to hear from us here (or via email) - I know I was.

8 Likes

Wumo hoarding

6 Likes

Saaaaaaaame!

1 Like

I only have them on hand for breading dishes like that one (usually Schnitzel).

Chicken adobo with stir-fried cabbage mixed w/ leftover brown rice.

In keeping with the discussion, I made enough for at least one more meal. :sweat_smile:

12 Likes